Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 08:24   #16

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25
Re: Incinerator toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificGreen View Post
Yeah and a reasonable perspective is what is required to read and understand and not bash the idea especially when they have sarcasm or negatives to contribute to the the original posters very basic question with no real experience with them. Pass the beans please but do so reasonably or you may spill the beans. Chastise for the wording of reasonably are you kidding me. Stay on topic.
Chastise? So sensitive.

I guess I'll use more of these next time - :f lowers:

I was just trying to point out why you were getting push back from others. You're posting words on the internet, your wording is all people have to go on. If you don't agree, that's absolutely fine, by all means carry on.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 08:52   #17

I wondered that also but I guess the issue is they use a lot of energy/propane fast. I only looked for a cabin type though years ago.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 10:35   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

We have cleaned up this thread a little. Please continue.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:06   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Have a modest solar array, good generator and some lithium batteries. It's only 1kwh. I can use the head all day long on a sunny day on the hook without starting the generator (20kwh bank). Otherwise if I need to fire up a generator that is no problem. Most reasonably equipped boats have shore power, generator, and some solar panels. Most do not have lithium batteries but that is usually easily solved by getting the lead out. A reasonably sized lithium bank in 2017 is 9kwh to 20kwh.

For me one of the first design criteria for my boat was the removal of the gusher manual pump powered head. I retain the new holding tank for hydroponics or yet undecided uses like rainwater filtration or holding.

I can relate my experience to the original posters question and Lepke does the same. If others outfit and equip in 2017 with technology from 1917 there is little to enlighten or convince them. 12v x 2 100ah lead acid batteries yields a 2400 kwh battery bank with only 1200 kwh usable. In their reasoning 1200kwh is adequate for a sailboat which in the case of using a modern appliance it is not. Some are even appalled by the thought of having to start a generator like denverd0n who sounds like he need to actually use the facilities.

What it comes down to for the modern liveaboard is what they define as an acceptable level of power on their boat or what they consider well supplied electrically speaking. So if the in terms of the OP's question on incinolet on a boat the benefits far outweigh the hassles and are a very viable alternative.

It appears Lepke is even just running his off lead acid and an alternator from his main engine. So probably based on what what an acceptable C rate of the batteries to handle the charge or cycling of power through the batteries is what it comes down to.
Ok, lets do some numbers. If they're wrong, by all means correct them......

You are saying it only uses 1kwh.
the manufacturer claims 1.5-2kw hour per cycle. A cycle is preset at the factory for 75 minutes.

My math will now work within the confines of a 12 volt system.

A single #2 in the morning will consume worst case 2kwh (166 AH) of electricity.

I'll use myself as an example now. I on average take 2 #2's per day plus #1 3-5 times a day depending on fluid taken in (some days more than others) That means I will consume 332AH @ 12VDC to burn poo, and depending on timing, up to an extra 830AH evaporating #1. This grand total is 1162 AH of battery capacity just for waste elimination.

I would call a power budget that accounts for that sort of use for a single person extraordinary
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:59   #20

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
We have cleaned up this thread a little. Please continue.

Please feel free to remove my post #16 that quotes a now removed post - if desired.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 12:49   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Please feel free to remove my entire account. I'm done with this pansy wansy portal where people can't read manuals, distort written manuals and equate everything to sailboats and lecture on the word usage.

The OP is buying a catamaran in Greece.

My information was pulled from the incinolet manual. And the power consumption is accurate based on published specs.

My experience was over 20 years ago as a summer job college student engineering department vessel crew. I don't know who made the incinerator I used, I do know it was a huge power draw and not useful for 90% of pleasure craft on this planet.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 15:52   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

RE: Incinolet Fan Noise

I think it has the noise of a small electric heater, but I spent a lifetime around diesel engines and did a lot of shooting in the military. With the head door closed, I can't hear it. With it open I can't hear it 10' away. But I can still hear my mom nagging my dad 50 years later. Why is that? Maybe some people are more sensitive to some sounds.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 16:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Suddenly 20 pumps on an ordinary flushing bog is looking environmentally friendly.

Pete
With the knowledge of all that electrickery down there, I just don't think I could relax enough while "pointing percy at the porcelain"
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 18:46   #24

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
RE: Incinolet Fan Noise

I think it has the noise of a small electric heater, but I spent a lifetime around diesel engines and did a lot of shooting in the military. With the head door closed, I can't hear it. With it open I can't hear it 10' away. But I can still hear my mom nagging my dad 50 years later. Why is that? Maybe some people are more sensitive to some sounds.
Thanks.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 19:08   #25

I've installed these... in motor homes. Needs plenty of air intake either through a ventilated door or open hatch. Creates a fair amount of smoke. (You're basically pooping in a large coffee filter). I'd never recommend this in a boat. Just speaking from experience... even if you have the available power.
smattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 17:03   #26

We had one at a gold mine that I worked at for a while ....

the head was in operation for a very short time, because an individual forgot to follow the instructions.. and pushed flush will still sitting on it

It was to say the least an unpleasant experience for the young gentleman, it was not a laughing matter, but we ended up putting in a porti-san because it was felt that the employee's may not be able to follow the instructions in the future

perhaps they are better now, this one did not have a factor interlock to prevent flushing with the lid up..... it did however large print labels warning that it was not a good idea to flush will sitting . ( oh... and it is a bit of a power hog ) you may look at composting toilets, they have come a long way
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 19:31   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by smattie View Post
I've installed these... in motor homes. Needs plenty of air intake either through a ventilated door or open hatch. Creates a fair amount of smoke. (You're basically pooping in a large coffee filter). I'd never recommend this in a boat. Just speaking from experience... even if you have the available power.
I don't know if the marine version is any different than the RV version other than more stainless steel parts, but in 6 years I have never seen any smoke. I have smelled smoke, but only if directly in the wind stream. Smell is a general burning smell, not especially offensive, and does not suggest sewage. Smoke smell is only on deck, not in the heads or cabins. None of my guests have complained. Most of the women liked the Incinolet better than marine toilets they had used in the past and complemented me on the toilets. When rafting with other boats, I've had wives come aboard to just use my toilets because they didn't want to use what their boat had. Nobody in any cabin next to the heads has complained of the noise, smell, etc. Overall I'd say the burning process is quieter than the flushing/macerating of a standard marine toilet. It sure beats fixing failed toilet plumbing. The burn pot is closed when burning. Even if locked open, the vent fan draws air out thru the exhaust plastic pipe not up thru the seat. I have flushed mine while sitting while it was still processing previous cycle without issues.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:39   #28

Interesting stuff. I checked out the incinolet site mostly to see what an incinerating toilet looks like.

A few things I got from the site. First, the maker has an April sale - $200 off. I have no idea if there are distibutors who sell at less than SRP but just throwing it out there.

Second, in reading some of the questions on the site, there are some who are asking about using it with solar. The manufacturer concedes that solar is not a good match yet. There's no specific reason given but aux power is a requirement at the moment.

I don't remember who did the ah calculation but it seems a waste to use ~500ah to evaporate pee. A milk jug and appropriate disposal would make sense - if you were hell bent on incineration.

With the right power it seems like it at least deserves a look.
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil