Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 17:39   #1

Incinerator toilet

Is there anyone out there that has personal experience with the Incinerator toilets for boats? I'm curious if they are a viable option, if you account for the extra electric usage...

You can count the number of seeds in the apple. But, you can't count the number of apples in the seed...
darlindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 17:50   #2

Re: Incinerator toilet

Do you have to cut back on the beans?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 18:22   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've used one on a commercial offshore supply vessel. It was 220 volt and something on the order or 5kw.

Not something the typical sailboat would use.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 00:59   #4

If you account for the extra electrical power, sure, they are a nice option. They are common on fishing boats that run big engines 24/7. Not so much on cruising boats anchored out getting power for solar panels.

The trick is accounting for the extra electrical power on a typical cruising boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 18:39   #5

I have a 120v Model installed. It usually burns up 40amps off and on for an hour cycling between the burner and the fan which uses around 18 amps or so.

Any sailboat with a reasonably constructed electrical system should be able to manage one of these appliances especially if you have a modest solar array, good generator and some lithium batteries. What is important though is having an inverter capable of supporting the load.

I use a dedicated plug from my 3000 W 48v inverter and it manages just fine. Be sure to vent it properly and you will notice little if any odors. Ultimately one of the easiest solutions considering the alternatives.
PacificGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 20:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificGreen View Post
I

Any sailboat with a reasonably constructed electrical system should be able to manage one of these appliances especially if you have a modest solar array, good generator and some lithium batteries. What is important though is having an inverter capable of supporting the load.

I.

Now that's funny...
Old 27-03-2017, 21:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Now that's funny...
Now your funny too...
Old 27-03-2017, 23:00   #8

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use Incinolets. I wanted to do MSD type IIs but saw the no discharge zones coming to the PNW. I didn't want a holding tank.
Each flush is about 1kwh. My inverter handles them fine. 120v are about 15 amps and 240V about 8 amps. For an hour. There is constant venting, so no smell. Waste is completely turned to a light grey ash and has no smell either. Burner holds 10-15 flushes of ash. 3 big man flushes per hour can be handled by the burner. During the burn cycle the burn pot is closed to the boat insides except for air drawn in near the base.
Mine are 6 years old, used daily and yet to have a failure or need a part. I've been thru many boxes of liners. Liner keeps everything clean unless you have some explosive problem. Even then they're easy to clean. Liner for each use. Also, anything that burns can go in the pot. Women like them because they're personal products go in them like the toilets at home. Too much paper is no problem, no plugged macerator. House toilet height, house type seat. I like them. On the boat alone, I don't pee in them so I don't have to clean them. I have a urinal in a utility room.
Underweigh I don't run a generator, alternator on a main keeps up the batteries.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 04:51   #9

Quote:
Now your funny too...

I may be, but would you kindly explain how that sort of power is available on any well set up sailboat?
Old 28-03-2017, 05:00   #10

Quote:
I may be, but would you kindly explain how that sort of power is available on any well set up sailboat?
Ooh! Ooh! Can I answer for him?

It's not!

Powerboaters have a completely different concept of electrical availability than sailboaters do. Of course he did mention that you have to have a "good generator." What he didn't say is that, with the sort of draw that these things have, even on a sailboat that is very well-supplied, electrically speaking, you're going to have to run that generator every time you use the head. Every time!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 05:21   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Suddenly 20 pumps on an ordinary flushing bog is looking environmentally friendly.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 06:41   #12

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I use Incinolets. I wanted to do MSD type IIs but saw the no discharge zones coming to the PNW. I didn't want a holding tank.
Each flush is about 1kwh. My inverter handles them fine. 120v are about 15 amps and 240V about 8 amps. For an hour. There is constant venting, so no smell. Waste is completely turned to a light grey ash and has no smell either. Burner holds 10-15 flushes of ash. 3 big man flushes per hour can be handled by the burner. During the burn cycle the burn pot is closed to the boat insides except for air drawn in near the base.
Mine are 6 years old, used daily and yet to have a failure or need a part. I've been thru many boxes of liners. Liner keeps everything clean unless you have some explosive problem. Even then they're easy to clean. Liner for each use. Also, anything that burns can go in the pot. Women like them because they're personal products go in them like the toilets at home. Too much paper is no problem, no plugged macerator. House toilet height, house type seat. I like them. On the boat alone, I don't pee in them so I don't have to clean them. I have a urinal in a utility room.
Underweigh I don't run a generator, alternator on a main keeps up the batteries.
I have read from some users that the exhaust fan is quite noisy (some compare to a jet engine). Can you comment on that?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 07:20   #13

Quote:
Have a modest solar array, good generator and some lithium batteries. It's only 1kwh. I can use the head all day long on a sunny day on the hook without starting the generator (20kwh bank). Otherwise if I need to fire up a generator that is no problem. Most reasonably equipped boats have shore power, generator, and some solar panels. Most do not have lithium batteries but that is usually easily solved by getting the lead out. A reasonably sized lithium bank in 2017 is 9kwh to 20kwh.

For me one of the first design criteria for my boat was the removal of the gusher manual pump powered head. I retain the new holding tank for hydroponics or yet undecided uses like rainwater filtration or holding.

I can relate my experience to the original posters question and Lepke does the same. If others outfit and equip in 2017 with technology from 1917 there is little to enlighten or convince them. 12v x 2 100ah lead acid batteries yields a 2400 kwh battery bank with only 1200 kwh usable. In their reasoning 1200kwh is adequate for a sailboat which in the case of using a modern appliance it is not. Some are even appalled by the thought of having to start a generator like denverd0n who sounds like he need to actually use the facilities.

What it comes down to for the modern liveaboard is what they define as an acceptable level of power on their boat or what they consider well supplied electrically speaking. So if the in terms of the OP's question on incinolet on a boat the benefits far outweigh the hassles and are a very viable alternative.

It appears Lepke is even just running his off lead acid and an alternator from his main engine. So probably based on what what an acceptable C rate of the batteries to handle the charge or cycling of power through the batteries is what it comes down to.
Old 28-03-2017, 07:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
I have read from some users that the exhaust fan is quite noisy (some compare to a jet engine). Can you comment on that?
Maintenance not being followed. I reviewed the manual on the website again and these have minimal maintenance that should be followed to maintain longevity of the units. I had my 208v model apart only one time. My 120v model is due to have the top removed and to clean the inside.

Otherwise I like white noise from fans and such and I would hardly call the fan from the incinolet as loud as a jet engine. Those fly over my head all day long and they are considerably louder even at 2000ft. The sound in my opinion is more tolerable than rigging banging about and whistling in the wind and even helps to drown out some of those sounds.
Old 28-03-2017, 07:50   #15

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
...Any sailboat with a reasonably constructed electrical system should be able to manage one of these appliances especially if you have a modest solar array, good generator and some lithium batteries....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificGreen
...Have a modest solar array, good generator and some lithium batteries. It's only 1kwh. I can use the head all day long on a sunny day on the hook without starting the generator (20kwh bank). Otherwise if I need to fire up a generator that is no problem. Most reasonably equipped boats have shore power, generator, and some solar panels. Most do not have lithium batteries but that is usually easily solved by getting the lead out. A reasonably sized lithium bank in 2017 is 9kwh to 20kwh...
People are disagreeing with you because you keep using these words.

I could say "you can trailer any reasonably sized boat behind an average family SUV." For some people "reasonable" may define a maximum size, for others it may define a minimum. The validity of the sentence is very dependent on perspective.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil