Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2013, 07:44   #316

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

I have to depart Loggerhead Marina no later than April 1st due to my slip not being available after that date. I will be heading north (again) to get to Savannah in 5-6 days. Ro will meet me there and sail up to Osprey Marina with me, about another 6 days. The weather should be nice and warm by then so it will be nice. I plan to anchor out many of the nights along the way. I have 4 nights scheduled just between here and Savannah. This is the schedule to Savannah:

As you can see the first night will be the hardest. Day 2 will be hard also but I will get a good rest at Jykell Island on day 3, refuel and be gone the next day. After that it will be a piece of cake.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33   #317

I departed Loggerhead as stated, from there changes happened. Night one I stayed in St. Augustine, night two I was in Jacksonville. Both one night stays, got in about 4PM, left at sunup.

Blue Heron fishing from the dock at Arlington Marina, Jacksonville, Florida.

Those trips were uneventful. Yesterday I sailed down the St. John river from Arlington Marina in the most perfect morning ever. About 65° and not a breath of air. Passed tugs at work and crabbers tending their pots.

“Crabber on the St. John River”

Then I turned up the ICW at Sisters Creek. After 2 hours of unlimited depth and room I was confined to 200 yard wide, 6-9′ depths. Did well enough, never touched bottom, until Nassau Sound. I saw unlimited room and depth, a straight shot across the sound to the channel…..NOT!. The well marked channel was not there, to get across you have to go east for about 1000 yards then cut. Found that out the hard way. Went aground and it took me about 30 minutes to get myself off again. From there on it was very shallow in spots and I was glad to have my depth sounder and chart plotter to get me through, until the chart plotter went black! This happened before so I knew what to do, go into the cabin and reset the sailing instruments circuit breaker, this means turning off the depth sounder, too. After the breaker is reset I have about one minute without any indications. Because of this I went without chart plotter for a while until I knew I had a straight run for at least 2 minutes with no turns and good depth. I got to that section, ran down into the cabin, hit the breaker, and ran back to the cockpit. I got everything back to normal and made it to Fernandina Harbor Marina. Today is a day of rest and I leave tomorrow (Friday) for Jekyll Island. I will be two days behind schedule, but schedules were made to be broken.
Old 04-04-2013, 15:03   #318

Hey Don, spend some time in charleston when you go by! That was my stomping ground for years. just tie the boat up and go enjoy the town. Some of the best eateries in the county. I highly recommend 82 queen, never had a bad meal there. Are you planning on making it back to the Chesapeake this year?
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 15:31   #319

I hope to be in Hampton by half past June. Need to go up to NY for my nieces wedding and I would like to fly up with my sister.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14   #320

Weather delay

Rain, Rain, and more rain all day Thursday and it has continued into Friday and probably into Saturday. Sunday promises to be beautiful with 8knt winds, sun, and 3′ seas on the ocean. I will be going outside to Wassaw Sound, taking a 4 day inside passage and reducing it to one 17 hour trip. I have done trips this long before and it should not be a problem. But I will rig the lifelines and put on my life preserver all the way. If it gets too cold I have my heavy duty cold weather jacket that has a built in floatation device.
It is raining again, and the wind is blowing. Good day to stay inside.
Old 06-04-2013, 18:16   #321

I am leaving tomorrow (Sunday April 7, 2013) for my first solo trip outside from Fernandia to Wassaw Sound (100 miles). I expect to arrive in Wassaw sound about 10PM and at the dock (Savannah Bend Marina) about 12 Midnight. I will post here when I arrive. Here is an OpenCPN plot of my planed course:
Attached Files
File Type: gpx georgiabypass.gpx (345.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-04-2013, 18:18   #322

Good look, be careful, fair seas!
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 18:45   #323

Sounds great. Have an amazing trip!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:12   #324

Arrived Savanna 1AM,entered Wassaw Sound in the dark. Glad it was high tide when I went over the bar, breakers 200 yards to my starboard. Stayed at Hinkley 's.
Old 08-04-2013, 13:35   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Arrived Savanna 1AM,entered Wassaw Sound in the dark. Glad it was high tide when I went over the bar, breakers 200 yards to my starboard. Stayed at Hinkley 's.
Good to hear you made it OK. How was the voyage?
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 16:15   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Good to hear you made it OK. How was the voyage?
-Bruce
A really nice passage. Traveled with two other boats, Latitude & Valkyrie, both headed for Morehead City. The most unnerving part was the entrance to Wassaw Sound. The sun went down just as I hit the outer marker. The three red Markers 4,6, & 8 are positioned by the CG to show the current channel, #6 is missing (At least I couldn't find it ). But I followed the charted depths and, since I hit the outer marker at high tide I had at least 6' under my keel at all times. I did see breakers about 200 yards to starboard just as twilight died. Once into the sound I was bucking the full flow of the outgoing tide, move the bow 1 inch and the current tried to turn the boat around. Next came trying to find a dock at 1AM. Thunderbolt was full, as was Morning Star. I didn't know the layout at Savannah Bend, but Hinkly's had a beautiful floating dock with nobody on it. Tried to point down river, but the current wouldn't give me none of that. Came in pointing into the current and slid right up to the dock, jumped off and grabbed the stern line, DUMMY! The bow took off and I just made it back on board. Got it under control again, slid up to the dock again, jumped off, grabbed the bow line and everything was good.

All in all a good first solo in the ocean, had the sails up for a while. I was more concerned about getting there then sailing, and the wind was dead in my face for half the journey. A great sailor I ain't but I know my limits. I did learn some today and will go out again in a day or two, destination... Charleston.
Old 08-04-2013, 16:27   #327

Quote:
Came in pointing into the current and slid right up to the dock, jumped off and grabbed the stern line, DUMMY! The bow took off and I just made it back on board. Got it under control again, slid up to the dock again, jumped off, grabbed the bow line and everything was good.
I'm sure that was a tense few moments. Glad to hear it worked out.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:04   #328

Always a new thrill!

Actually, If I would have just held on to the stern line I could have docked her pointing down stream, as I first wanted. But I ain't that quick thinking.
Old 08-04-2013, 19:46   #329

Quote:
. Got it under control again, slid up to the dock again, jumped off, grabbed the bow line and everything was good.

All in all a good first solo in the ocean, had the sails up for a while. I was more concerned about getting there then sailing, and the wind was dead in my face for half the journey. A great sailor I ain't but I know my limits. I did learn some today and will go out again in a day or two, destination... Charleston.
It's hard to do all the jobs when it's only you! It's one thing in good weather but a bit more of a challenge alone-but you did it!! It must be so rewarding once you are tied up & having a moment to relax. Can't wait for the next installment.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:00   #330

Disaster!…Well, mildly expensive inconvenience.

Departed from Thunderbolt, Savannah Bend Marina at 7:44 this morning and tucked in behind a tug barge combo through the Elba and Fields Cuts, if he can make it I can, and did. Beautiful day all the way into Port Royal, SC, Sound. Not a care in the world. Then about 1/2 mile from the Port Royal Bridge my engine died. Tried to restart and the battery was dead. Chucked an anchor out and called Boats US. The Port Royal Marina was my destination and it is just the other side of the bridge. Boats US was there in a shot and I was towed into the dock. I sit here now and tomorrow I figure out what is wrong with the engine. Probably a dead battery. Anyway, I signed on for three nights (buy two get one free) and Ro will drive down tomorrow from Surfside Beach. Some disasters can be lived with.

Tags
paracelle