Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2011, 19:02   #91
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Yep, the water sucks here. We can't wait to get over to the Bahamas.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:09   #92

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
That's odd, San Diego has got the best kelp beds in the world which makes for the best diving. At least they did when I dove there awhile ago. I used to pay my bar tabs with lobster tails and abilones.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:15   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
but the water is so cold .....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:39   #94
cruiser

san diego and catalina, and outer islands have kelp forests, but the water is not cold, its ice cubes.....

the rock lobsters, (bugs) are tasty.. yummm.... but, you cant see more then 5-10 ft, and need some serious wet suit action... and I really dont like wet suits if i can avoid them...

I grew up on Oahu waters and refused wet suits there too... if i have to wear a suit it will be a shorty... or nuttin at all... besides they really arent flattering on a fat dude... heheheheh
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:48   #95

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Sissy's.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:50   #96
cruiser

so, how hard would it be to drag a boat across country? Can my Chevy Blazer handle it? I do have a heavy duty hitch package on it that i only used once to drag bicycles... hehehehe

would i need permits for 30' or less?

anyone else drag their boats anywhere...
Old 16-01-2011, 19:53   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Sissy's.

yea, i will be the first to admit it... but, I really want to be comfortable under the water... i admire folks who can jump into the arctic waters and fix stuff and do stuff...the cold water would make me lock up in heart beat, no use of the fingers or feet to paddle...

it would be bad...

i would like to do the polar bear thing... jumping into frozen water, but i would jump right back out and stand into a fire pit or something...
Old 18-01-2011, 20:36   #98

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
so, how hard would it be to drag a boat across country? Can my Chevy Blazer handle it? I do have a heavy duty hitch package on it that i only used once to drag bicycles... hehehehe

would i need permits for 30' or less?

anyone else drag their boats anywhere...
If it's under 8'6" beam and under 14' tall on the trailer you don't need any permits.......what sort of chevy blazer are we talkin here? something like and s-10 would die on short order attempting to haul a boat cross country. the full size may fare better depending on the boat. Our 32' boat weighs in at 15,000lbs.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 22:56   #99
cruiser

yea, s-10 so, no go, i guess.. oh well... just like everything, nothing can be easy...
Old 19-01-2011, 09:59   #100
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the downhill part after the continental divide should be ok--is just getting to that point might be a tad difficult..... but if it doesnt blow up by then ye should be ok,, kinda..SERIOUSLY--the trailer will drive the tow vehicle, not a good situation.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 16:27   #101

Boat: looking
Just as well, Bergovoy, I had a super duty Ford 1ton that I moved a few boats with, but I was pushing the limits when hauling a boat that displaced 7,000lbs. Whether you want to get a boat in Florida, Texas, or anywhere else, I'm sure it won't take long to find the right one when you arrive.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 17:10   #102
cruiser

yea, i guess..... im in a funk again.... anxious... but scared. afraid i will 'pick' the wrong city to land in, scared i will not find a decent boat for the price... afraid the boat i find will be in a different city after i sign a lease...and everything else that can go wrong on a trip across the country..

my back is killing me the last couple days... and my feet are friggin deadly right now.. i really want them cut off at the ankles..... arrrgghhhh.... wonderng how i will get my meds while cruising....
Old 19-01-2011, 20:25   #103

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
good chance after some healty cruising you won't need all the meds!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 22:57   #104
cruiser

omg, from your lips to gods ears...I actually never thought about that, but yes, I can see that it could be possible... and i would love nothing more ...

I ahve been taking class 1 narcs for almost 10 years now... and have been fortunate in that they have only increased the strength only once in that time... and I have gone without meds for 2-3 weeks without any indication of 'withdrawls', but the pain levels were thru the roof...

I would be in heaven if i could get off them... my life seems to be dictated by when i take meds during the day...
Old 20-01-2011, 09:30   #105

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
yea, i guess..... im in a funk again.... anxious... but scared. afraid i will 'pick' the wrong city to land in, scared i will not find a decent boat for the price... afraid the boat i find will be in a different city after i sign a lease...and everything else that can go wrong on a trip across the country..

my back is killing me the last couple days... and my feet are friggin deadly right now.. i really want them cut off at the ankles..... arrrgghhhh.... wonderng how i will get my meds while cruising....

Just wait till you get an old boat and see what goes wrong!!

Funk squared.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote