Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2011, 17:13   #121

Boat: Prout Manta 38
Boating shopping is lots of fun and a great way to learn about what you like and don't like, IMO. Go look at as many local boats as you can before you pick one.

For one thing- with a bad back, you need to make sure you can get in and out of bed easily (no climbing over pillows!). And probably need to make sure that you have plenty of room so you can be comfortable.

Hmm, probably a good idea to pay special attention to the cockpit and saloon seating to make sure it suits you, and supports the right bits. There really is a wide variety in this area.

And make sure you can get to the important things in the galley without reaching too far, and the engine and transmission without having to crawl or play Twister. It took us a while to figure out how important that is.

Kimarah
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 17:29   #122
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
berg--a boom can support ye, yes. the wind is a lot more pressure than your weight, so there is no problem. booms also help bring dinks onto deck instead of getting a hernia and sinking the dink also.. is a good tool. i use halyards and booms fo r lifting and distributing weights on board-like when the engine was installed we used the boom. boom held the 400+ pounds of holed block nicely to get it out of the house..block and tackle to winch the old out the main saloon overhead hatch... no problem holding a human.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 17:58   #123
cruiser

i knew the wind had more force then me, but that was upward force on the boom, isnt it? the picking the dink and the motor, WOW... i guess the boom is hinged at hte mast and supported by the 'trailing edge' of the sail? (Im sure it has a name, but dang if i know it?) sorry...

I guess that 'trailing edge' is just as strong as the other sided of the sail so it could support the boom... wow..

as for crawling into the motor.. I can do it, but spinning a wrench maybe a problem in that position...

there is no such thngs as a comfortable chair/seat, they are 'tolerable'..and if i can lift at least one leg and strech out in that position, then that is about the best i can get... that and being able to move / switch positions...

i have been on two boats so far and was able to access the v-berth and actually loved it, but with my current sleeping on a la z boy, almost anything will be better...

for the record, the reason i am sleeping on the recliner is when i went to hawaii for 5 weeks back last july, the 'friend' and my daughter didnt bother to check my bedroom, or if they did, they ignored the fact that my cat was obviously pissed off at me and chose to crap all over my bed... and they left the bedding covered until i got back.. the mattress was ruined.. so i threw it out.. and with my impending vacating of the hosue, i didnt buy a new mattress... i though i was going to be out before now...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 21:45   #124

Sorry I can't let that pass. Do they have super nanny in the US? It sounds like I did everything I could for my daughter. Absolutely. I accept that. A $100 a week to do some chores??. It seems you have never heard of positive reinforcement and only know of punishment. The first builds the other doesn't.
I ain't criticising. Just saying. Guess your life experience has not been that positive.
Sleeping on a lazy boy and you want to live on a small boat?
Sure after surgery (at 55 or whenever you started you have /had potential to contribute to society ((and still do if not economically at the moment)) you would need aftercare. Hmm I won't comment on the US healthcare system but don't you have a Salvation Army or other back up groups?
Need for meds? Absolutely unsolvable problem!
Ok. This ain't a therapy column, and I ain't being paid. Besides I would expect you to reject any comment until in due course it sinks in. Let's leave it to the buy the boat and all will be well group.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 17:19   #125
cruiser

a little update.. slightly OT

Hey all.. i figured that i whined and moaned abit about my family life, specifically my daughter... so, i had a little update and figured i would share it like i shared too much already...

My daughter texted me last night and told me she was missing me more then normal.. i replied that i too missed her a bunch, and hoped that we could get together... she said she coould come by today around noon, but had to leave around 3pm...

WE talked a little, and she apologized for leaving me and knew it was not right, but she felt trapped or whatever and knew she had to go.. i told her i didnt quite understand but i accept her apology, and hoped she would continue to ty to do better, and in return so would i..

The 'odd' thing that occured was that she told me she was thinking about moving in with her BF, but, she didnt want to leave her mom, becaue her mom got used to her being around and her helping her out and stuff.

she did say before she said that, it was going to sound 'wierd'/awkward, and all that... and she was right...

anyways... i did tell her i was moving, but I wasnt completely honest, in that i didnt mention Florida, and that i wasnt sure where i would end up.. which is kinda true...

there is some trust issues.. i dont knw who she is talking tonor do i care as long as she doesnt 'share' info about me with folks that i am in litigation with...i.e. my brothers and sister...

anywasy.. at least i got to see my daughter for the first time in almost four months...
Old 22-01-2011, 17:34   #126

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
I hate to say I told you so, but LISTEN UP. Things ALWAYS have a way of working out, ALWAYS. Just keep going FORWARD!
Happy fur ya.
Kenny
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 17:45   #127
cruiser

you told me so... really... you and everyone else maybe.. but not jsut you... heheheheh

and yea, i never rule anything out, but i am learning to lower my expecations fo everyone adn everything...
Old 22-01-2011, 17:55   #128

Boat: Hunter 426
I`m so happy life gave you a big one in the plus column.
tandem tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 18:11   #129

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Berg ,what excellent news about your daughter. Really happy for you.
Hope the rest goes swimmingly too.
Old 22-01-2011, 18:28   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
you told me so... really... you and everyone else maybe.. but not jsut you... heheheheh

You Sir, are absolutely right. Maybe I'm just the only one frustrated that you seek so much advice, on so many issues, and you keep coming back and saying, you'll do it your way.
Old 22-01-2011, 18:49   #131
cruiser

im not sure i understand or agree with you.

I initially indicated i was going to buy a boat by remote, and all that, and yet, i ahve reversed that plan and will be moving before i buy, based upon a lot, but mostly from being enlightened here by some well spoken members ...

I have looked at other areas other then my 'main' interest area of Florida to include, Texas, SC, California etc...

I have made arrangements to take local sailing lessons here before i leave... I have accepted offers to meet folks on my travels and look at other options/boats, etc.

so, i am not sure i can agree with you on my being adamant about doing it my way...

but, you are entitled to think/believe what you will. aparently my actions arent enough to make you aware... I am not sure what will, but I am not going to worry about trying to convince you...

gday...
Old 23-01-2011, 03:29   #132
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Your doing OK Berg..... little steps my friend... little steps.... the long confident stride comes later....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 04:26   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
I initially indicated i was going to buy a boat by remote, and all that, and yet, i ahve reversed that plan and will be moving before i buy, based upon a lot, but mostly from being enlightened here by some well spoken members ...

I have looked at other areas other then my 'main' interest area of Florida to include, Texas, SC, California etc...

I have made arrangements to take local sailing lessons here before i leave... I have accepted offers to meet folks on my travels and look at other options/boats, etc.

gday...

cHeeze Berg, you're right again
Old 23-01-2011, 08:03   #134
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
cHeeze Berg, you're right again

Im not sure your intent, but for now, suffice it to say, i dont think it is positive or conducive to good conversations or community relations, and as such, have reported it...

g'day
Old 23-01-2011, 08:16   #135

Take it how you will.
There was no harm meant. Nothing but positive support from this guy.
I'll stay out of your threads.
Lotsa Luck-
Kenny