Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 14:43   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Holding Tank Configuaration Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Macerator pumps which use rubber impellers after the chopper blades should act as a closed valve. If the impeller or housing is worn I imagine there could be leakage. My tank is partially below the waterline and my pump (Jabsco) is below the waterline. Nothing flows back to the tank when the seacock is open.

Maybe that means I should check ours for wear

It's likely a Jabsco, and I've only used it once in about 7 years... and that was a few years ago...

-Chris
Old 12-10-2012, 11:26   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
This looks like a simple system, but one caveat: how do you change out the macerator should it fail? ........................... in your setup as diagrammed, without the valve to isolate the macerator pump, replacing it would be an unbearable proposition as you would be doused with the contents of the holding tank.
I see your concern and it could be a serious problem. I have changed my macerator pump after a failure without a great mess. My effluent from the holding tank is at the top of the tank and the hose flows down to the macerator with a short, approximately 18" span. Though still a potential mess, I simply placed the entire broken pump in a tough plastic bag after disconnecting it from the through-hull side and removed the hose from the "T",- discarding this section as a unit with no spill or mess.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:29   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapTim View Post
dumb question... and I know I should know better, but I just can't get my brain wrapped around this one:

When the macerator isn't running, it acts as a valve in the 'off' position? So there is no chance of backflow from, say, the ocean to the holding tank?
My through-hull valve is always cloded unless I'm operating the macerator pump; therfore, no sea water would have any means of entering the system and the macerator end of the system would be fully blocked from any draw from the deck pump out. I don't actually depend on the inability for any reverse flow through the macerator.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:22   #19

Boat: Norsea 27

Hmmmm, I can't remember if I put a valve between the tank and macerator, too many years since I put it there but that's a good point, what if the macerator needs work while on a cruise. I'd best check next time I'm at the boat.

What I wonder is if others have done what I did, put the discharge above the waterline which solves alot of potential problems.

Barry, Lopez Island
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 13:31   #20

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksculpter View Post
Hmmmm, I can't remember if I put a valve between the tank and macerator, too many years since I put it there but that's a good point, what if the macerator needs work while on a cruise. I'd best check next time I'm at the boat.

What I wonder is if others have done what I did, put the discharge above the waterline which solves alot of potential problems.

Barry, Lopez Island
I used the existing through hull that was there for the toilet outlet before the holding tank existed.

I doubt that many have put theiroutlet above the waterline. Showing others what comes out, and stains on the hull. If you're doing it the absolute proper way the outlet would be above the highest point that the waterline would be when you heeled or they would say that you still need a vented loop.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 15:03   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
...............................or they would say that you still need a vented loop. John
Most would only open the through hull for an attended event. If that's your procedure, then you would have no need for a vented loop.
Old 12-10-2012, 15:23   #22

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Most would only open the through hull for an attended event. If that's your procedure, then you would have no need for a vented loop.
I don't have a vented loop either. I only open the seacock to pump out. If I left it open 4 check valves would have to fail, but I have seen threads where people insist on the vented loop no matter what. That is why I used the word "they".

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 15:28   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
.................... That is why I used the word "they". John
I'll stand with you! It's those guys, the "theys" that are always causing the problems!