Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 06:10   #61
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help! Too Cold, Condensation, Sick, Need Info

Fore-hatch cracked open just enough to provide a slight inlet.. stove was by the companionway.. have the hatch openish while you get the coals to the glowing stage for any smoke/fumes to vent.. once the flames had died (5-10 mins) move the tray into the oven and leave the door open.. then slide the hatch all the way to.. have not come across an air/water tight hatch yet.. leave a crack if unsure..
Sleep/sit forward of the cooker.. the heat circulates enough to make life bearable and the fumes clear with the convection through the hatchway.. folk die coz they seal right up..
Try it once and see.. it worked for me but then I'm weird..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:17   #62

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Help! Too Cold, Condensation, Sick, Need Info

LiveaboardL, your willingness to listen and take advice bodes well. You'll figure it out.

From an earlier post, I see you're in the Charleston, SC area. You also said your batteries are almost dead, and mention both wind and solar. I'm guessing this cold snap will pass, eventually you'll charge back up, and things will get better.

Still, I'd recommend learning a LOT more about energy management, in all its forms. Letting your batteries go below around 50% charge shortens their life. If you do this a lot, you'll have a big expense on your hands soon. You really should have a very good handle on how much energy you're using, and how much you're replacing, at all times.

It sounds like you're trying to live without shorepower or a generator. If that's true, you want to stay away from any form of electric heat, be it a bathroom bulb, electric heater or fake Amish fireplace. You only get as many watts out as you put in. Basically, you need to "burn" a lot of electricity to get a relatively small amount of heat. And you say you're already running low. The most efficient electric heat source is a heat pump, like a reverse-cycle air conditioner. Which for practical purposes means either a generator, or shore power.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:39   #63

Boat: csy 37

boatman61 - ok for you, too life-threatening for me. i can't imagine me taking that kind of risk. here's a scenario -

boat anchored into the wind/current, you in the forward berth with forehatch slightly ajar, companionway hatch slightly ajar, charcoal smoldering near the companionway. the forehatch is the air 'intake' and the companionway hatch is the 'outtake'. all is well. then the current turns strongly and moves your boat 180 degrees, but the wind doesn't change. now the companionway hatch has become the 'intake' and the forehatch the 'outtake'; the fumes are now flowing towards you, not away. goodbye boatman61.

can't imagine that. what would this forum be without boatman61?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I did a tour in Bosnia, so cold we called the place "Ice Station Zebra". Learned a few tricks, if you can get some of the chemical heat packs sold at Walmart and toss one of those into the foot end of a sleeping bag, it makes a world of difference. so does a stocking cap and or Balacava. Good sleeping bag, with stocking cap and especially with a heat pack, I was good to zero F, toasty actually, but getting out sucked.
Best sleeping bag you can get is an Army "ECWS" bag (Extreme Cold Weather System). Actually three bags, outer is a Goretex liner, then two sleeping bags one inside the other, with two bags, three combinations depending on temperature, Goretex liner only needed if sleeping outside in dew, snow or rain. Insanely expensive stuff, but can be bought very cheaply as used surplus.
many sources, this is an ebay link http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51   #65

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
My battery is low & the clouds & lack of sunshine haven't helped, so I just got to reading all these. Thanks for the great advice. Glad to my options & the dangers involved. I love the idea for an infra-red bulb. They have infra-red LEDs now too.
LiveaboardL
infrared led's won't work. they produce almost no heat. while googling around i did find what appears to be a superior type of infrared bulb in which there is no blazing red light (bad for your eyes) and i'm thinking about buying one to keep on board. at this url -

Amazon.com: Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts: Pet Supplies

we have a local liveaboard "living on $500 a month" out here off the icw in daytona. it doesn't get as cold as charleston but we've had some 30 and 40 degree days/nights lately. he also doesn't have much battery capacity - only one 50 watt solar panel and no engine. he uses a sleeping bag. says he sometimes spends 16 hours in the bag....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:59   #66

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

infrared led's won't work. they produce almost no heat. while googling around i did find what appears to be a superior type of infrared bulb in which there is no blazing red light (bad for your eyes) and i'm thinking about buying one to keep on board. at this url -

Amazon.com: Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 100 Watts: Pet Supplies

we have a local liveaboard "living on $500 a month" out here off the icw in daytona. it doesn't get as cold as charleston but we've had some 30 and 40 degree days/nights lately. he also doesn't have much battery capacity - only one 50 watt solar panel and no engine. he uses a sleeping bag. says he sometimes spends 16 hours in the bag....
Thanks for that link. If I ever go back up north I'm definitely getting one of those. I can't over emphasize how well a hot water bottle works.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:14   #67

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Why fight it...Get a slip and plug in. Think of the doctor bills if you get really sick! How long can a cold season be in S.C.?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:48   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If a slip is out, the hotwater bottle makes a lot of sense, hadn't thought of one of those
Old 02-02-2014, 09:50   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think an infra-red incandescent light bulb puts out no more heat that a regular light bulb of the same wattage.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:54   #70

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

This stuff apparently helps with moisture. Might be worth giving it a try. Amazon.com: H2Out Space Dryers - SD300 Series: Sports & Outdoors
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:55   #71

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
I had a 250 watt infrared bulb and it had orange on the lens. I never measured it but it probably puts out the same heat as a clear bulb.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:12   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

buy a honda 2000 genny
fill tank with gasoline
start the damn genny
oh yes attach a nice electric cord to it to charge your house and starter batteries
also add a nice electric heater to keep you warm AND DRY
geeez.
not so bludi hard.
sorry i btdt for years in coldness... is curable.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:15   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Can see a lot of posters have not a clue about the OP's situation..
I spent Dec/Jan and Feb on the hook in NC, Oriental and Taylors Creek, Beaufort... snow and ice on the deck and no heating.
Days were okay but come sunset it was into the dinghy and ashore to the 'Backstreet Pub' and a roaring log fire where I would nurse as few beers as possible till the bar closed then head back to the boat... light the stove and boil a kettle while I quickly readied the bed in the salon.. make a coffee then under the duvet... mornings it was light the stove from the bed.. 4 coffees later it was just about warm enough to get out and dressed...
Then I tried the aluminium tray barbecue... man it was great... kept the salon warm for 3hours... what I saved in beer paid the coupla dollars for the heat..
Its great talking heaters when you've the cash to buy... but when you don't... you make do..

I'm thinking boatie may be right, a couple of months slip rent is less than a Honda 2000 isn't it?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21   #74

I found a 1000 watt gen at fred meyer for $129. Been using it for 4 years. Was told it would not last 1 season and shoujld have bought the honda. Still runs great.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:56   #75
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and honda wil be there for tools and heaters and alladat stuff requiring electricity when least available, and the few nights in slip is gone money.
although the slip is a wonderful idea..try to save for honda and get slip for a week or so....

when i was doing that, i bought the honda. and the sopac heater. and the down bed and the down quilts....yup....and flannel sheeets and oil lamps an d oil and ....yeah coldville at anchor sucks. i know that. kali isnt all roses ye know..those measured temps of 38 in winter with 55 f water was horrid. oh yes and ugg boots or the equivalent. very important to keep feets warm. and top of head.

honda 2000 is anywhere from 1079usd to 1895 or so usd depending on where you are and who you try to buy it from. is well worth the investment,and will last minimum of 10 yrs. mine did and was treated poorly..lol
yes i will buy another.
might even treat it correctly for a change.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation