Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 17:33   #1

Boat: 1988 Bayfield 36 (46 LOA)
Heading North -- Tips from Port Townsend onward towards B.C. with stops in between

We've been on the boat full time since May -- and cruising the Puget Sound, but have arrived in Port Townsend to do a few projects and then continue on (hope to only be here a week, but you know how boat projects go...). I really want to go to Victoria; but, may have to wait because of prevailing wind patterns. However, hubby thought we might have to go to Anacortes, before hopping over to the San Juans. And then heading up towards Vancouver, B.C. Looking for everyone's tips on cruising these areas as far as places to stay (anchor or moor) and things to do. I went through the old posts and the most recent that I found in my search seem to be from 2013... so more recent information is always a bonus!

FYI, we're a sailboat (LOA 46' with the darn bow sprit and dinghy davits), in case that matters. And we're only in our second year of sailing, so need all the tips we can gather.
ProteusRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 22:23   #2

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Heading North -- Tips from Port Townsend onward towards B.C. with stops in betwee

I have linked Slow Boat Webinars which I have found quite helpful. They are geared for a power cruising crowd, but a moorage is a moorage, I think you will enjoy what is offered. This small company takes small flottillas up to Alaska and back down on the west coast of Vancouver Island. They help tell you how to get through the hard parts (gates) and what to expect. There standard phrase is "it is to be respected, not feared."

Slowboat Webinars – Slowboat

My favourite is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=JcAvQSdvdyg
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 09:48   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Heading North -- Tips from Port Townsend onward towards B.C. with stops in betwee

I also failed to mention, on the Slowboat site, go into the "Cruising Guide" selection, lots of great information there about Washington/BC/Alaska.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 10:21   #4

Boat: O'Day 40

Montague Harbour is a nice stop with lots of room. A good place to watch people anchoring.
The South East part is a little soupy so a Fortress type anchor might be best.
Don't miss the Hummingbird Pub bus ride!!

I highly recommend Salish Sea Pilot as a cruising guide for the Gulf Islands.
I haven't tried them for the rest of the coast yet but, for all the areas I'm familiar with, they are excellent.
Old 29-06-2019, 10:46   #5

What reference sources do you have?

I moved here 3 years ago and find Waggoners the easiest all around source. More specific material can be found in other guides, like Dreamspeaker.. SalishSeaPilot website is ok.

Look at charts while you're reading, very helpful.

If your trip is as you said, it doesn't look like the Gulf Islands are in your path. However, it may well be easier to check into Canada at Bedwell than in Vancouver.

Your boat, your trip, your choice.

Welcome.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 16:04   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40CC

No need to stop in Anacortes. Time the current and sail to Cattle Point or further on the west side of San Juan Island with the flood. Watch for whales around Lime Kiln lighthouse. Stop in Wescott Bay or Roche Harbor. Plenty of
anchorage. Clear at Bedwell and out Active Pass, again consult the current tables. Usually good sailing across the strait and go to False Creek. Good anchorage and access to the city. Need to get an anchoring permit on line or there it’s free. I don’t think it is enforced. PM me if you want more info. I’m familiar with the area.
seapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 12:37   #7

Boat: 1988 Bayfield 36 (46 LOA)

We have wagonner from 2018. You're the fourth person to tip us off to Salish Sea Pilot, so looking at that asap.
We also have Scherer's A cruising guide to puget sound and the san juans, which I've poured through in like three days and it's comprenhensive, but doesn't seem to offer good "do this / don't do this" when crossing the strait. Yes, I have noted on our charts when I find something in the other books that I want to remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
What reference sources do you have?

At this rate, we may not make it to B.C. by our season's end. We'll see. Bellingham may end up being where SV Elli gets put on the hard for overwinter work. We'll see.

Thanks for the info...much appreciated.

I moved here 3 years ago and find Waggoners the easiest all around source. More specific material can be found in other guides, like Dreamspeaker.. SalishSeaPilot website is ok.

Look at charts while you're reading, very helpful.

If your trip is as you said, it doesn't look like the Gulf Islands are in your path. However, it may well be easier to check into Canada at Bedwell than in Vancouver.

Your boat, your trip, your choice.

Welcome.
ProteusRising is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head