As my family
gets closer to our "Cruising Date" I have begun to research
more heavily, particularly communication and e-mail. It appears that many cruisers use an E-mail compression service
(Sailmail, Ocens, Ect) to reduce e-mail size and save bandwidth.
Now... Although I love the concept
of Sailmail (not for profit, SB network, other services), I think its overpriced for just e-mail processing. As such, it looks like Ocens is following the same pricing model.
Since I'm in IT with an extensive background in development, scripting and automation, it occurred to me that setting up my own service
would be fairly straight forward (and cheaper). So as I began writing the scripts, it further occurred to me that there might be a market here.
So I thought I would ask.. Would there in interest in a service to process e-mail. It wouldn't offer all the fancy services (yet) like Sailmail, but would be very comparable in shrinking the e-mail. Here is the functions I have created so far.
1. Forward original (unmodified e-mail) to another e-mail account (e.g. gmail, hotmail, ect). This would allow the user to get any attachments or pictures in the original at a later date.
2. Strip any attachments or images
from the e-mail.
3. Clean any HTML to the bare minimum in size.
4. Compress the e-mail the maximum amount.
5. Work with any e-mail client (Windows, tablet, phone).
If there is some interest, we could setup some Beta users to help refine the system. In the end, I have no idea what the pricing would be, but I'm confident it could be done much cheaper than the $250/year that Ocens is asking. Maybe even 1/2 that.