Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 15:45   #1

Iridium email compression

I've been using my Iridium phone primarily for voice and text messages; it's been great. Data is slow and annoying but I've made it work.

I know there are services out there (mailasail, etc) that do email compression but they require you to use their domain. A big requirement I have is that I need to use my company's email address, not @mailasail or something else clearly not @mycompany.com .

Does anyone know of a good email compression software that will let me use Outlook or Thunderbird, but will do some serious compression?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 16:15   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Iridium email compression

You can compress to your heart's delight, but it does no good unless your mail then hits a server which can UNcompress it before delivering it to the other guy. That's why dedicated domains are being used.

The best way to "compress" email is to send your messages as PLAIN TEXT, not HTML, and definitely not the Outlook standard, which is to send the messages as two-part HTML+Text. By simply sending a message as plain text, you can literally cut 80% of the size out of it, compared to "rich text" or HTML standards.

Other than that, no compression scheme will work unless you are set up so the recipient knows how to UNcompress it. Or you're using one of those domain servers that does so invisibly.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 16:32   #3

I send in plain text already; I'm not the admin assistant sending out comic sans emails with little smiley faces in the signature.

But I have to believe some Windows developer has come up with a compression suit that sits on Exchange and Outlook.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 17:02   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The software was acquired by a consortium of cell phone carriers, who then burned the code and slaughtered the developers, to ensure that we all buy bigger cellular data plans.

These are the same folks who refuse to sell cell phones with larger memory capacity, for the same reason: "You don't need that, you can keep it in the cloud". And just buy bigger data plans to access it.

(What's a day without another good conspiracy theory?)

Or, it could just be that no one can assume the same mail client, so unless "all" parties are running the same client with the same extension...it becomes a huge programming and marketing exercise.

Twenty years ago you could zip the file before sending it, and burden the other guy with unzipping it. Or running it as an EXE. These days? Security issue.

But if you're using Outlook, there should be some forums for that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 18:35   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

We used X-Gate some time ago and back then it worked great (within the limitations of Iridium). They may be still in business. Well worth further investigation.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 22:45   #6

Boat: Bavaria 38
Send a message via Skype™ to Vlad70

final answer - very depends from Real Task and Reasons
What did You mean - use just YouCompany.com domain? for what - receive or send? and for what reason? Correct answer for this question - can allow find correct decision.

Short answer - no ready to use software
Half way - use Your company server in POP3 mode with receiving only headers, it's allow You safe more than 50% of traffic

And final - problem is deeper, not just in mail a problem:
- You computer waist up to 2 min for initialize connection
- than all You programs start share this slow channel with same priority with mail, You can switch off autoupdate, but still forget something. Like many program - has it's own updater or send data to servers or etc
- and than, and last - mail traffic

You can saw some examples here -

The best way (I personally use) - redirect YouCompany.com (I use set of rules for redirection) to X-Gate email and use X-Gate (the same as SpeedMail) with RedPort Optimizer. Fantastic result. One of the best function - work with "Big Mail", it's safe You another xx% of traffic and Optimizer kill all parasite traffic from Your computer for 200% :-)

http://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/satph...ion-Tools.html

Regards, Vlad
Vlad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 00:02   #7

Vlad

Try the XGate from GMN you will need their software but you can set it up to retrive your company emails. The problem is that you need to have the compressio software at each end of the link. I used the Xgate on and Atlantic crossing over th last year.
David Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 00:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Walker View Post
Vlad

Try the XGate from GMN you will need their software but you can set it up to retrive your company emails. The problem is that you need to have the compressio software at each end of the link. I used the Xgate on and Atlantic crossing over th last year.
Hi,

SpeedMail - the same as X-Gate, it's one program
but if You try receive mail from Your server, You lost benefits :-)

Opposite to direct X-Gate - SpeedMail when You client of seller, free of charge and monthly fees. I purchase RedPort Optimizer, sim and pre-paid Inmarsat plan - nothing more.

1-2 Eur per day max with my real mail

Yes, I also use it, From Atlantic to Turkey

P.S.
I neve calculate not my money, until somebody not decide - all of us stupid
For example - software from globalmarine - Grib Explorer
http://www.ocens.com/GRIB-Explorer-P...FcFV3godV30AsQ
199USD for software not better than ZyGrib or SailMail Grib Viewer

What they guy think - Yacht just for billionaire ? :-)
The same situation with all subscrition service from Direct GMN X-Gate - it cancel all economy from using.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:00   #9

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I had the same issue as you... wanted to use my own domain name. What I did was sign up with MailaSail, and redirect my own domain inbox to my MailaSail address, they strip off all the crap, compress and deliver to the Iridium. One nice thing they do is convert incoming email to sms and forward to Iridium as a FREE text. So you get at least the header and the first few lines without having to pay.

For outgoing mail you just send it through your normal route, having carefully stripped off all unneccessary stuff.

MailaSail is very good.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41   #10

MailaSail is also very good,

just I decide not redirect automatically all my e-mail (I often receive - review, digest and etc all for work, but not needed immediately), but - I install approximate 30 rules - for fist off all - sort incoming e-mail and than redirect important.

Tags
compression, email, iridium