Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2013, 16:59   #1

Boat: looking
Dominican Republic

hey friends..

my wife and I have been to the Dominican republic several times, and just love it , love the people, love the place. we are Canadians living in South Florida, been here for a year now, bought a 35ft sailboat here and plan to keep going with it.Our business is here, and now we have a chance to live anywhere and work from home, as long as we have hard wire internet, we can still make good money working from home, anywhere we want.

so we are planning on sailing our boat from Florida to Dominican, I have heard Luperon is a Hot spot but higher crime in boats than anywhere else in DR. I do understand the living conditions and crime rates in DR, but I do want to live in the safer part of DR, preferably Punta Cana or La romana.our plan is to have our boat in a marina or on a ball, and rent a cheap condo, maybe even buy a condo somewhere cheap cheap. we can eventually retire there.i know you can find a nice condo for $300-$500 month

can anybody tell me their experience or knowledgeable advice on living there.

_marinas, internet signal..(good internet service?) cheaper places to rent but still nice...

we will be visiting there next month to plan out our move, any help or info would be of great help.

thx for the help

T
Capt. Tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 02:13   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Our friend lived in luperon for 4 years, just came back recently to care of business. He loved it and cant wait to return. He always gave the Commandant a few dollars every chance he had, never had theft but used heavy chain on dink as u should anywhere.
Dont go in the water lol.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 06:05   #3

Re: dominican republic

thx for the heads up on going in the water, I guess thats because people poopin in the bay?

do you know anything about how efficient their internet is? just as good and as quick as anywhere else ? I use internet based land phone for my business, so strong internet, hard wired is a must.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:21   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I think runoff down the mountains and most waste ends up in the bay, contributing the water issue. he had internet, but it was wireless, im sure the marinas have it dunno about being hard wired though.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 06:46   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

take a look at boca chica on the south side -- lots of expats - easy to get around - good food - close to santa domingo - safe - nice maria
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 06:53   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

We live just a hundred miles north of Luperon, roughly, but haven't sailed down to look around, yet. With the tax and cost situation in the Turks and Caicos now through the roof, we have plenty of reasons to take our boat down and load up. I've read that it's a hassle to move your boat from one town to the next. Is that still the case?
Old 18-11-2013, 08:04   #7

yes, i was looking at boca chica, i heard they have a decent safe marina there. trying to get as much info as i can before i go check it all out, so i have a good agenda when i get there.

tryin to live more with less...ya know!!
Old 18-11-2013, 08:43   #8
cruiser

Went to the Dominican Republic for a weeks stay at an all inclusive resort four years ago. My wife and adult kids all got real sick from drinking the water in mixed smoothies the bartender was using from a tap. A friend who is from there, says it's important to stay at nice places in order to avoid problems. I have to agree with him.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 08:57   #9

definitely do not drink Dominican water!!! hazard !! yes, we have been there 5 times in 3 years, this is the reason we want to move there, we are living in South Florida at the moment, here on work visas, DR is next for us...
Old 18-11-2013, 09:30   #10

Def dont go in the Luperon water. I was there 5 weeks and my pretty new bottom paint didnt do much. The Barnacles were so thick they came off in sheets 1/2" thick or so. Even though we moved out toward the opening to clean, after I spent a full day cleaning the bottom, I got sick... quite confident it was from the fecal content in the water. The bay doesnt seem to get much circulation at all. So if you are thinking of keeping a boat there.... I doubt you'll be able to use it as the bottom will continually look like a coral reef.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dominica, Dominican Republic