Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 14:26   #1

Boat: Irwin 42
Using Boat as Home Address

Hi,
I read in one of these threads that it is possible to use your boat as your home address. I have searched for the thread, but I'm unable to find it. If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!!
Old 15-06-2012, 15:18   #2

Re: Using boat as home address

I see you are in FL. (hey we have an Irwin 43! hi!) Anyway you can use your boat for your home address if there is an actual 'address' associated with it. Most people either use the marina office to receive mail or have friends/family forward it from a mailing address. I have been using St. Brendan's in Green Cove Springs, FL which lets you use their address as your legal address (you have to go fill in a form, get it notarized and file it at the courthouse, -slight fee-but it is pretty easy) Then your mail goes to St. Brendan's and they will scan the envelopes and mail you a note when you have mail. They can open mail and scan it in at your request and they can forward your mail to you. Their fees are very reasonable and their service is designed for cruisers and rv'ers.

Hope this helps.

CJ
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 15:31   #3

Thanks for the info CJ!! Yup, we're living on an Irwin 42, & refitting everything!! Doing the decks now!! Wow, is it hot outside!!
Old 15-06-2012, 15:41   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

"Home Address" is a bit nebulous. Legal residence address is what goes on to your bank accounts, insurance records, drivers license, voting record, Federal and IRS forms and many more items. Changing your legal residence address is involved and if you want to be truly mobile you follow CaptJennette's advice.

Then everything is coordinated and unless you have a "loose tongue" when talking to any "official" you will be all set. Florida is a bit sticky about living in one place and claiming residence in another place.

If you only wish to change your "mailing address" to where the boat is docked or in drydock that is different and only involves issuing post office change of address cards to organizations who you want to send their stuff to your boat location temporarily.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 12:37   #5

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I recommend using the address of a trustworthy and geographically stable relative. We live in fascist society that treats people with mobile lifestyles as "transients", and denies us legal access to insurance, driver's licenses, banking services, etc.

To deal with their short-sightedness, the simplest solution is to establish a "home address" with a close relative who will be willing to handle some mail for you, and who is not going anywhere soon.

Of course, you should make the greatest effort possible to ensure that as little mail as possible, if any, goes to their address. Avoid getting on junk lists, don't order magazines, and convert ALL your banking and insurance correspondence to electronic.

You cannot receive a credit card by e-mail. Some credit card vendors of late have been in the habit of replacing some credit cards several times in a year.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 13:20   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We are in Florida and use St. Brendans as our mailing address for our licenses and registrations. Our physical address and what is printed on my FL drivers license is our boat document number (boat must also be registered in Florida to do that).
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 13:37   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I
You cannot receive a credit card by e-mail. Some credit card vendors of late have been in the habit of replacing some credit cards several times in a year.

That practice is annoying beyond belief. If I wanted a new card I would ask for it. Another annoying tactic is to repeatedly mail credit checks to address of record. God help you, if you are out of town and the local hobo picks up your checks.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 21:51   #8

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
We use the Marina address which works fine. We even have a home based business which is legal as well
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 07:15   #9

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I would only advise that, someday, you may want to leave that marina, and that will leave you with no home address - thus, the advice to share an address with a relative, who can then forward your mail to your marina address on request.

Of course, the only mail that you should be receiving of any importance is a stack of replacement credit cards. All your other business can be electronic.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 03:15   #10

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Yes but if and when I leave the marina I will change my mailing address the normal way.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 04:40   #11

I think we need to make a distinction here between "Long Term" and "Short Term."

If you are going to remain in a marina or some other location for which you can get a Postal Address for a long period of time (years) then using that as your "address of record" is quite wise. It will be the address that appears on your drivers license, bank accounts, tax records, voting records, and many other places. Then when "somebody" (e.g., LEO's, etc.) come looking for you, you are there.

However, if you plan on only spending a short period of time like weeks or months in a location and then moving on to a different location, then having a PMB like St Brendan's Isle or similar operation - or - a willing relative/long term friend makes better sense. Frequent changes of address is a pain in the butt kind of paperwork and banks, and all the other things tied to wanting to know the "length of time you lived there . . ." becomes a factor worth considering.
Old 23-06-2012, 06:13   #12

I originally posted this because a friend of mine wants to have only his boat doc.# on his drivers license. So we were wondering if that is possible. I personally use my marina's address. If it is possible, how would you go about this?
Thanks for your responses!!
Old 23-06-2012, 07:05   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Some marinas will allow you to receive mail there and some won't. Check with the harbor master or office manager there.
We live aboard and use a PO Box. My Texas drivers license requires a physical address so I use the marina address and for my pier and slip I use Apt. 6-12. Most companies will address your mail to "Apt. 6-12" no matter how you explain it.. Their computer automatically does that for a lot of companies. If you try to explain the marina and slip thing, I guarantee your mail will get screwd up.
The mailman here knows to drop it in the Pier 6 slot. Most marinas have community mail boxes. We don't use them, we use our PO Box. Some stuff will still get to the physical address no matter how much you tell them you want your mail to go to the PO Box.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 08:04   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by svjustus
I originally posted this because a friend of mine wants to have only his boat doc.# on his drivers license. So we were wondering if that is possible. I personally use my marina's address. If it is possible, how would you go about this?
Thanks for your responses!!
Guess I don't understand. A driver's license requires an address and a documentation # is just a number unless you are referring to the address used on the documentation.
Old 23-06-2012, 08:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by svjustus View Post
I originally posted this because a friend of mine wants to have only his boat doc.# on his drivers license. . . .

Short answer is "absolutely" NO. Subsequent to and baring some unknown "loophole" in the Patriot Act, since January 10, 2010 Florida now follows the Federal "Real ID" program which requires a significant amount of "proof" of your existence and a physical residence. They are outlined here: Florida Drivers License Identification Requirements

When getting a "new" or replacement Drivers License you must provide various identifications of some form from the lists in the cited webpage.

Welcome to the Brave New World.