Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2013, 12:47   #106

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!
Re: Dog Boats

Hi Saucy Sailoress,

Congratulations are due to the Indian government for declaring Dolphins and Whales as "Non human persons". Maybe dogs will be next?

This is a really nice audio book about animals and intelligence: Virginia Morell - Animal Wise
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 12:55   #107

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

The rant on cats...well, put me off my pace! My cat does not smell...just ask her!

Seriously, you speak truth. My cat does smell, of that I am certain. I simply am unaware of it any longer. Even though I am used to my own cat's aroma, I can smell cats that reside in customer homes. This does not bother me on a pesronal level and I am not sure I would allow someone else's sensitivity to sway my pet choice.

I considered a small cruiser dog, but dogs require a level of maintainence of animal that is more than I can handle. I do not have to "walk" Sophie (my cat). She is content to sleep the day away, assuming the proper amount of food is provided
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 13:47   #108
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
Hey, Saucy,
Please explain the export certificate? Never heard of it. Where do you get it?

Also, where are you in India and for how long? I once rode a motorcycle across India.
OK, an export certificate usually is obtained in two stages. First, you get a regular health cert from your own vet. Then, up to a week before you fly, you take the pets and the certs to the govt vet, and they issue an export cert. There's usually a fee for this, we have paid between $60 and $75 for the two dogs (the second one is cheaper, cos one cert serves all).

Usually these certs are valid for 7 days (hence the need to go immediately before you depart), and the dog should be in the new country before it expires. We have had them issued for up to 30 days (by an understanding Omani vet). But like I say, as long as you're not planning to import them permanently, the customs guys usually don't bother. Nobody has ever even looked at our papers, even though we keep them in the best order we can.

We were married in India so we have a soft spot for it. There is only one marina in India, and the anchorages are generally ****, and cruising along the coast is nigh on impossible since the Bombay Bombings; so for $7.50 a night we stay in that marina. It's amazing. We thought we'd hop on a train and travel, but the local culture is so fascinating we haven't felt the urge to leave the boat yet in three months so far.

Until we came skiing. And that we only did because one of our former crew flew out to look after the boat and the dogs (well, the dogs, really) with her family

Anyway, here are the dogs:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy Dogs.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	72716  
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 13:49   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
My cat does not smell...just ask her!

I am not sure I would allow someone else's sensitivity to sway my pet choice.

I considered a small cruiser dog, but dogs require a level of maintainence of animal that is more than I can handle. I do not have to "walk" Sophie (my cat). She is content to sleep the day away, assuming the proper amount of food is provided
Hi Klmmicro,

I was waiting and hoping for outraged cat lovers to reply to my rant, LOL.

Yes cats are great animals and I love them very much. You are right, "love me love, my cat" if your visitor doesn't like your pet then maybe he or she is not the sort of person you really want visiting you.

Regarding walking dogs; that is one of the things I enjoy most about having dogs is that it gets me off my couch and out for a constitutional walk; which s every bit as good for me as it is for the dogs.

How about a miniature short haired dog? Pretty low maintenance and it's really nice to have something that barks if somebody is near your boat.

Cheers
Old 25-12-2013, 14:09   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Dog alarms seem to run down over the years. Our dog, Zorro, used to bark at anyone coming near. We couldn't sneak aboard when he was younger. Now, at twelve, we can get all the way below before he hears anything!
Old 25-12-2013, 14:32   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Dog alarms seem to run down over the years. Our dog, Zorro, used to bark at anyone coming near. We couldn't sneak aboard when he was younger. Now, at twelve, we can get all the way below before he hears anyting!
After 12 years of unconditional love Zorro certainly deserves his retirement.
Old 25-12-2013, 14:59   #112

Boat: Fuji45

Wow, lots of replies. We have been sailing with two cocker spaniels for about 7 years. We sailed from California to Panama which is where we are now. Been in enough heavy weather off shore, although haven't crossed an ocean. Here's my 2 cents;

All dogs will go potty on deck at around the three day mark. I don't know who is more uncomfortable during that three days, but they all go eventually. Never heard of a dog imploding, although I would think a vet might shed better light on this than me.

If you can raise a dog with a piddle pad, that is the way to go. Foul weather? Throw a pad down. Unfortunately, our oldest lady is just about 18 and would not consider a pad, it was beneath her, pun intended. So when it's really rocking and rolling and she insists on having to go, we heave to. Everything gets nice and quiet and we hook her up to the windward jacklines and go for a walk. If its raining hard we usually try to stall her because we've learned rain usually abates in a short while.

I would never regret bringing my dogs on our sailing adventures, but it is not without cost. Our travel around the countries we visit is severely limited. Many times we leave the girls on the boat and go exploring by ourselves because its just too hot and difficult to get around. Taxis pass you by and buses are just not welcoming to dogs outside of the US. On these occaisions, we must be extra careful to be back before their water and food is gone. Limits our excursions. Because there are plenty of times that they do go ashore, we use powerful insecticides on them to reduce the chance of bringing tics back to the boat. Believe me when I say that you do not want an egg laying tick on a boat. We NEVER miss a dose. (Collars are worthless against tics).

And lastly, think about how you feed fido. There has been dog food everywhere, but not the premium brands, and often it's just an open bag of buggy kibble at the front door. We chose a premium Costco brand and have been able to get it pretty easily. Just make sure you transfer to air-tight bags or containers to keep weasels and other pests from spoiling the party.

Good luck!
overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 08:08   #113

Vino, thanks so much for posting this question! I've enjoyed reading the answers from active cruisers, I've been living aboard for two years with my two long haired and fluffy dogs. They are my kids and no matter how annoying it is to attempt to keep their hair off of everything, I would much rather have them aboard then not. I know they feel the same about being aboard rather than not being with me.

Having said that, someone had mentioned to me having a swim platform to assist in not only getting the dogs aboard, but it helps in provisioning, when entertaining, etc. I'm not sure I've seen a lot of cruising boats with swim platforms so I myself need to research that.

And about the having two dogs issue, I do have two dogs and one I agreed to take before having met her. She is full of personality and is very cute, but she also would be better off being an only doggy (she's little and tries to alpha constantly, the other one could care less he's happy no matter what). So, just some food for thought. Not all dogs need another canine companion, although many are better off that way.

I'm not sure if you've read Teresa Carey's blog, and if I weren't on my phone iWork's copy and paste the link, but she sailed with a cat and once when she was hitting crazy weather de mentioned putting her cat in a secure crate so that she had piece of mind that it wasn't going to get squished by anything down below if anything were to happen. While I've only gone on day sails and anchored out overnight, having the dogs in the cockpit does seem to calm them but I think for longer passages I would prefer to leave them down below in a secured crate just for my piece of mind and for theirs as well. They don't always understand what's going on and if they're going to be ok. I'd love to be able to assure both, but I don't always feel comfortable having them in the cockpit and tethered just because I need to tack and what not so that gets a bit hairy. It sounds like you ad your pup are going to have some great adventures! Good luck
SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 19:06   #114

Boat: CT-41

Saucy,
(Do you mind if I call you by your "first" name?)

A couple more questions on the "export certificate". Having never heard of it and after reading your last post, my question is; Is this a legitimate requirement that saves hassle in some situation, or is it just another scam to fleece the unwary out of some money?

You mentioned two things; one "before flying", I have never heard of airlines requiring this either, but have not flown with my dog (nor will I unless he has his own seat - just my preference). Other thing you mentioned no one ever looked at the certificate. Do you know of any countries who require such a thing?

If anyone else knows about this, would love to hear your opinions too.

thanks
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 05:23   #115

Boat: Skookum 53'

An export cert. wouldn't do me much good as I will be out for over 30 days. I looked into coming into Belize and it was fairly simple there, have all the shots, rabies, distemper, etc... and a cert. from the vet stating the health of the dog and it was no quarantine. The requirements differ greatly from country to country, that is just the one I can speak about.
Old 27-12-2013, 15:50   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Just for the enjoyment of the dog owners, a site for you to visit.

http://www.pbo.co.uk/gallery/24362/1...owner-magazine

Coops.
Old 28-12-2013, 15:36   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I love the cat attitude with their arrogance and independance. If it were not for the fact that spending to much time breathing near them can put me in the hospital, I'd keep a few about. My dog, Zorro, seems to have a respect for cats too. If he sees one that starts to run he will lunge for it straining his leash. If the nearby cat stands his ground Zorro will pretend that he doesn't see it! Even dogs have to save face!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:58   #118

Hello Long time no post...

Here is a quickie. I nearly lost my latest adopted street dog (a beautiful black Labrador cross)to a disease caused by ticks. She appeared to be depressed then had a fever and runny nose. But it was all very mild so I did not take her to the vet... :-( Well she went blind! Yeah her eyes suddenly became milky overnight, just like a zombie. Well, here in Brazil the vets (in general) are not very good and very expensive.... The first vet said it was a toxicosis from the flea and tick powder and I should put the dog to sleep. The next said it was a virus and the next bacterial, etc. but no confirmed diagnosis. They just tell you the first thing that comes to mind without running any lab tests...
Finally found a lady that works with street dogs and she diagnosed ehrlichiosis. We started her on doxycycline antibiotic and she started to improve almost immediately but it took over a month for her eyesight to return and she seems to be a little myopic now.
Well the moral of the story is if you are going to go cruising finding a good vet may be difficult and expensive so at the first sign of lethargy, fever and nasal discharge start your pet on Doxycycline ASAP. Which means having some ready in your medicine chest.
Also try to avoid your dog swimming in water with horses and Capivaras grazing nearby as that means the place is probably infested with ticks...

BTW those tick powders are not as safe as you might assume, lots of animals have adverse reactions that can be fatal... Now am going to use a pair of tweezers, reading glasses and lots of patience to remove them!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:57   #119

Our dog is more stable in heavy weather than we are since he has four feet on the ground, as it were. The only change I recommend is some non-sliding rugs, Cap'n Morgan slides on the teak or fiberglass floors. He lies in the salon on the low side next to the bunk so whichever of is is offwatch has to scratch his ears.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:35   #120

Boat: CT-41

Freddy,
Thanks for the good inforation, and glad your furbuddy is doing OK. I hae not been on this site for a while, but nie to hear you all again.

You will find y posts require "reatie reading" sine y oputer is now issing soe of it's keys. The ode is "We loe dogs and ats eept ean ones." If you an read that, you an read anything I post.

Sine y last post, Aleutia has beoe right at hoe on the boat. We still are not ready to take her offshore, but he has eperiened 75+knot winds, whih did sare hi, but now getting used to it. This is his fraidy dog hidey spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm1883.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	98406  
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote