Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 20:45   #1
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Living aboard - East Coast of Aus

Hello

I've read some threads on here and done some other research on the subject of living aboard in Sydney and on the East Coast but I haven't found an recent, detailed information. There's been some recent (2015) anecdotes but I haven't found anything more.

It's something I'd consider doing in the next few years but I'm not sure I'd actually be able to make it work. I'm a fulltime professional, wearing a suit when I'm on the customer site kinda guy, work from home otherwise, and I'm currently in Sydney. My work means it's possible for me to move up and down the East coast though so I'd consider most places as long as it wasn't too far from a decent airport. I'm also from the Gold Coast originally and my family are still there so that'd definitely be an option. I also have to wait until I finish my post grad, another 12-18 mths. ..

So ... that preamble out of the way, is anyone living aboard anywhere in NSW? QLD? VIC? I knew some people who used to live aboard in Mooloolaba but I understand they've all been moved on now. That said, my understanding is that living aboard in QLD is legal? Unlike NSW?

My job means I'd definitely need to have access to a reasonable internet connection so, that's a consideration. I have a beer habit too so can't before too far from a beer source either. ..

I'd love to hear from someone who is doing it right now, or very recently, and given the law in NSW happy to have a PM conversation? An understanding of friendly marinas where you can 'get away' with it would be great ... any and all info, thank you
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:04   #2
cruiser

Re: Living aboard - East Coast of Aus

A quick bump for the Aussie crew that will be home for the evening.

Old 12-05-2015, 20:36   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Its definitely legal to live aboard in Qld. Our small marina has two or 3 live aboards. It is up to the marina.

In fact many marinas now have different rates for live aboard, plus extra for electricity for air cons etc. I only have experience up here in North Qld but most marinas welcome it. Breakwater Marina in Townsville for example (if you can afford it).

As to NSW, we made some enquiries to a few directly & found a few marinas that said its OK. I'm not 100% sure whether they were thinking OK for travelling cruisers or permanents. Plus these weren't in Sydney as such.

I'm also interested in any new info about NSW.

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 21:11   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
Its definitely legal to live aboard in Qld. Our small marina has two or 3 live aboards. It is up to the marina.

In fact many marinas now have different rates for live aboard, plus extra for electricity for air cons etc. I only have experience up here in North Qld but most marinas welcome it. Breakwater Marina in Townsville for example (if you can afford it).

As to NSW, we made some enquiries to a few directly & found a few marinas that said its OK. I'm not 100% sure whether they were thinking OK for travelling cruisers or permanents. Plus these weren't in Sydney as such.

I'm also interested in any new info about NSW.

Dave
Thanks Dave, that's good to know. I've got family in Townsville, it has a decent airport ... gets smashed by cyclones though! I guess you get a day or two notice so you'd get sailing somewhere else!
Old 13-05-2015, 00:32   #5

Boat: Boden 36ft sloop

There are quite a few places in QLD. Provided you have access to showers and toilet, even in NSW its against the descrimination act to prevent you from living on your vessel. Most dont push this angle. As for working in a suit etc, thats no problem. Just change on shore. My partner and I have no problems....well...when it rains it means wrapping things up more.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Tacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 00:53   #6

Boat: Compass 28

In Victoria, I'm pretty sure the only marina that officially allows live-aboards is Yaringa, which is an hour's drive (much more in peak time) from the CBD.

However I have been aware of liveaboards at various times in other marinas including The Anchorage at Williamstown (less than 10km from CBD) and I think the Yarra Edge marina (right in the CBD).

And I know there are the odd one or two on public swing moorings who for some reason have not been kicked out by Parks Victoria.

In all cases, keeping a low profile is the key.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 01:11   #7

Boat: LAGOON 400

not possible in sydney. If you have mooring you are allowed up to stay overnight up to 20-something days.

although here and there you see someone crossing these limits.

Cats are too great competition to $1m, older 2 bedder in faceless suburbia.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 17:54   #8
cruiser

It's looking to me like I'll be moving back to Queensland, well it is God's country, after I finish my post-grad.

I've looked at the marinas on the Gold Coast and it seems that Hope Harbour, The Southport Yacht Club and a few others in Brisbane allow it so I'm sure I can get sorted out up there. Just seems a shame I can't do it in Sydney, nevermind.

Thanks all for your comments - I'm still interested in hearing anything else anyone may have to offer.

Ta muchly
Old 13-05-2015, 18:52   #9

We're in Melbourne and were looking at liveaboard for 6mths here to spend some time really learning about the boat prior to heading north. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's really possible to do it and stay reasonably close to melb unless you're flying under the radar as mentioned above. Anchorage looks banned for the most of port phillip too.

Not a huge dealbreaker as we can work remotely so looks like our 6mths close to shore will be somewhere nicer like the whitsundays.

I think there are a few places further away (lakes entrance and nearby) which might be ok for liveaboard but haven't confirmed it yet.
j7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 01:16   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

The Mary River Marina at Maryborough is happy to have live aboards, two minute walk to the city centre and barbeque on Thursday nights. Three hours in train to Brisbane and airport at the Fraser Coast.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, living aboard