Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 01:19   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Dock Party

One of the things I appreciate most in this transient lifestyle I have chosen is the ability to find common ground in simple pleasures.

10' wide T head, we set up a canopy, a few small tables, a few chairs and a little food. Had 3 guitar players, a number of enthusiastic singers and 1 pitiful harmonica player (me).

It was impromptu. Decided and word spread in a couple of hours. Folks came and went until 2am. Some we new well. Others strangers. All were welcome.

In a world were with a push of a button can bring out Clapton's music, not many get to sit in on and know the pleasure of a true jam session. The kind of inspiration that will make a shy guy stand and serenade his sweetheart. Free flowing wine didn't hurt.

I hope to do one more before sailing east. Talent not required. Will post plans. May want to bring something to sit on.

BTW we are at Bayland Marina near Baytown Tx.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Dock Party

I've always enjoyed these musical gatherings on the docks or rafted together. My wife plays the accordion and has inspired some similar spontaneous parties. We keep about a dozen different musical instruments on board and I'm a master of none!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:24   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The last dock party we had the harbor patrol came by and wanted to know if we had a 'permit' for the party. Enjoy them while you can.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:33   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Impromptu dock parties are a lot of fun. But please consider that some of us enjoy simple peace and quiet particularly at night. A nearby dock party jam session going on until 2:00 AM would have me boiling mad. Be considerate. Remember that cruiser's midnight is 9:00 PM.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:10   #5

A party with acoustic instruments (except the drums) can be fun for everyone. But a one-boat party with monster speakers "entertaining" everyone in the county with their poor taste in manufactured music is a P.I.T.A. I'm sure that wasn't the kind of party you were talking about.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:59   #6

Boat: 1977 New Bombay Trading Co. Pilot 31'

I wish our current marina had more! We are trying best to get some fun started though. Currently only 4 liveaboard boats but have several weekenders that are regulars and a few old guys that come tot heir boats daily. We have started trying to do some cooking, jam sessions, etc to get more of a community vibe going. Was told by one of the old timers that it was once a lively marina before Katrina. As far as the loud parties, I once lived next door to a frathouse so I understand that repeated loudness can be trying but I think once in awhile on a weekend it should be not only allowed but encouraged. Is good for the soul!
SebastianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:38   #7

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

My experience with jam sessions has been acoustic with conversation possible. Entertaining oneself doesn't require a lot of volume.

It doesn't need to be a concert.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.

Tags
dock