Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2014, 06:52   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Any Umbrella Liability Insurance for Expat Cruisers?

As we tidy up life on the dirt in prep for life on the clear turquoise the subject of liability insurance has come up. I contacted the insurance company that handles our RV in the US and was told I can't get an umbrella liability policy unless it's part of their homeowner package and we'd have to be US residents.

Thought I would ask if any other expat cruisers who are not US residents have found a way to get blanket or umbrella liability?
Old 14-05-2014, 08:22   #2

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: Any umbrella liability insurance for expat cruisers?

I've heard the same complaint from others. Insurance companies don't like to insure international customers, too expensive to deal with all the various laws and languages. You may want to talk to a financial advisor on asset protection strategies and keep your boat well insured. Keep in mind that the more insurance you have, the fatter the target you make.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 08:53   #3

Boat: Niagara 35

First, I would never leave home without insuring my umbrella to the fullest. I don't care who you are, those things are dangerous and tend to turn inside out in even moderate winds. Don't leave until you've sorted out your umbrella insurance.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously, though, you live in probably the only country in the world where people worry about having full third party liability insurance. I assume you mean "non boat related" third party liability. The US is the only place where you might need or want that. In the rest of the world, having third party insurance on your boat policy for when you drag down on somebody in a squall is all you are likely to need.

If you're at the market and knock a banana stand over on somebody's head they aren't going to sue you. Even if they try, the local judge will only charge you for medical bills which will be on the order of $100. No million dollar pain and suffering law suits for banana trauma outside the USA.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 12:05   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Canibul lives in the Turks and Caico's - not the US. He meant "ex-pat" to mean "ex-US", which he should be chastised for because this is not a US-only forum and he offended the hundreds of thousands of T&C ex-pats around the world…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 05:15   #5
One of Those

actually I meant ex-pat to mean people who no longer live in the country of their citizenship. Which is what expatriate means.

Living abroad.
Old 15-05-2014, 07:50   #6

Boat: Various

We're not expats but still have found that if you're one who moves around a bit you have the same issues, so we preferred a more worldwide type insurer for our umbrella, one who also specializes in surplus lines and excess insurance. We have ours with Lloyd's.

As you move or travel more then international solutions become necessary. Our boat insurance likewise isn't with a traditional US insurer.

Our rule of thumb. If it's something tied to land in a country, such as a house, car, or RV then best to insure it in that country. If it's a boat or you, something that moves to other countries, best to find an international insurer.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 09:28   #7

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
actually I meant ex-pat to mean people who no longer live in the country of their citizenship. Which is what expatriate means.

Living abroad.
Now that I've reread your post with the knowledge that you are non-US but have a US RV, it makes more sense.

I would echo that US insurance companies wouldn't be my first choice for an international lifestyle. It is a unique litigious society and I'm sure that affects the insurance business
Old 15-05-2014, 09:31   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:

Living abroad.
I forgot to put a smiley on my post, but I thought the phrase "hundreds of thousands of T&C ex-pats" would let people know I was joking.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 09:55   #9
One of Those

Hundreds of thousands? Ha. I missed that, sorry. If the entire nation packed up and left it would be something like 30,000 people. Less total people in this little nation than in the small town I lived in on Cape Cod in a previous life.

not many Americans living down here, either. A few hundred. Very much a minority of a minority.
Old 15-05-2014, 11:39   #10

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We're not expats but still have found that if you're one who moves around a bit you have the same issues, so we preferred a more worldwide type insurer for our umbrella, one who also specializes in surplus lines and excess insurance. We have ours with Lloyd's.
If you don't mind me asking, which Lloyd's broker do you use?
Thanks!
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 12:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, which Lloyd's broker do you use?
Thanks!
Lloyd's, as a surplus company, works through wholesalers. Agents then work through those wholesalers. Most agents have a relationship with one or more of these wholesalers. Ours is actually through Mavon, but there is a list of surplus wholesalers available on Lloyd's site. We work through a risk advisor rather than a traditional insurance broker so really can't help you there.
Old 15-05-2014, 13:22   #12

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Lloyd's, as a surplus company, works through wholesalers. Agents then work through those wholesalers. Most agents have a relationship with one or more of these wholesalers. Ours is actually through Mavon, but there is a list of surplus wholesalers available on Lloyd's site. We work through a risk advisor rather than a traditional insurance broker so really can't help you there.
Sorry, my mistake. I assumed that you used a LLoyd's broker in the U.K. rather than through a U.S. surplus line.

I am a UK citizen, US resident and we have an umbrella with a US company, mainly because my other half has a relatively high risk of being sued. But that might be an issue when we go cruising full time (if I could just get her to stop working, we'd be set), hence my interest.

In a previous lifetime, in a country far far away, I worked for several Lloyd's brokers and syndicates. I was a techie and not directly involved in the market, but reading the marine and aviation claims files was eye opening :-)

Thanks for the information.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 14:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Sorry, my mistake. I assumed that you used a LLoyd's broker in the U.K. rather than through a U.S. surplus line.

I am a UK citizen, US resident and we have an umbrella with a US company, mainly because my other half has a relatively high risk of being sued. But that might be an issue when we go cruising full time (if I could just get her to stop working, we'd be set), hence my interest.

In a previous lifetime, in a country far far away, I worked for several Lloyd's brokers and syndicates. I was a techie and not directly involved in the market, but reading the marine and aviation claims files was eye opening :-)

Thanks for the information.
That's ok. We looked at going through a UK broker. Lloyd's has to be the strangest set up of any company. Some states licensed, some surplus. Some insurances licensed, others surplus. 37% of their business is in the US. Besso Group from the UK does have presence in Fort Lauderdale, but we didn't go that route. One reason we went surplus lines route is they also insured our house.
Old 16-05-2014, 06:01   #14
One of Those

So, do any of the expats reading this carry large liability policies in case they get sued ?
Old 16-05-2014, 06:09   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Any umbrella liability insurance for expat cruisers?

Quote:
So, do any of the expats reading this carry large liability policies in case they get sued ?
Don't be silly.. don't even carry medical or life insurance..
Basic liability only for my boats.. its mandatory

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, insurance