Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2013, 08:54   #1

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30
AC Condensation

We live aboard in Bradenton Florida. Our Marine Air system runs basically all the time. The condensation collects around the units and drains into the bilge.
Occasionally the drain tube stops up and water overflows the tray and into the floor which has discolored it.
Is there a way to keep the tube from stopping up or some treatment that helps, or just 'blow' it out every so often?
Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 09:07   #2

Re: AC Condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmiii View Post
Occasionally the drain tube stops up
Sometime a little skirt of dish washing detergent where the condensation collect can help so long the bilge can handle the detergent.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 09:10   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmiii View Post
We live aboard in Bradenton Florida. Our Marine Air system runs basically all the time. The condensation collects around the units and drains into the bilge.
Occasionally the drain tube stops up and water overflows the tray and into the floor which has discolored it.
Is there a way to keep the tube from stopping up or some treatment that helps, or just 'blow' it out every so often?
Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30
A. Ensure you have an effective filter on the return air and particularly in front of the evaporator grill assembly and clean or replace these regularly. If not, dust/debris that lodges in the vanes of the evaporator will be washed into the condensate pan by the condensate run-off, creating mud in the pan that will obstruct the collection pan drain tubes;

B. From time-to-time, at least weekly if you are living aboard 24/7, use a long tube to squirt a bit of bilge cleaner into the condensate pan to help breakdown debris and any algae that might be developing there and wash it through/out of the system. A squirt of Lemon Juice into the pan periodically will also help keep things clean and prevent odors.

FWIW, we do the foregoing but also periodically use our shop vac to suction out the condensate drain lines (we have two, one each on the port and starboard sides of the pan that are joined at a T-fitting and a single line to the bilge) to ensure there are no obstructions.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 04:11   #4

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30

Thanks for the ideas.

Wm
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 04:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I put a venturi in the overboard discharge. It sucks the condensate out of the pan. Pan stays dry, nothing goes into the bilge.

Bought venturi at a salt water fish tank supply
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 06:11   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

The Venturi tube solution is an excellent suggestion. The only other comment I have is to increase the size (diameter) of the hose draining the pan. It sounds like yours is simply too small and increasing its size should preclude clogging
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 06:52   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My solution to this problem is very simple and effective, but you need to take care that the position of your AC and plumbing related to your water level will allow the solution. I took my tube leading away from my condensation pan and "T-ed" it to my cooling (heat exchange) water that is pumped through the AC coils. This fast moving flow creates a suction that overcomes any collection of dust or debris that used to clog my pan drain. My AC is above the added T-fitting and the T-fitting is above the effluent of my cooling water and the cooling water effluent through-hull is just above the waterline.
Old 21-06-2013, 07:22   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
My solution to this problem is very simple and effective, but you need to take care that the position of your AC and plumbing related to your water level will allow the solution. I took my tube leading away from my condensation pan and "T-ed" it to my cooling (heat exchange) water that is pumped through the AC coils. This fast moving flow creates a suction that overcomes any collection of dust or debris that used to clog my pan drain. My AC is above the added T-fitting and the T-fitting is above the effluent of my cooling water and the cooling water effluent through-hull is just above the waterline.
This is the method for connecting a venturi as previously suggested. If you omitted the venturi in that flow scheme, you limit the suction potential with the unintended and potentially disasterous consequence of creating a backflow path in the event of a blockage.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 07:30   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
This is the method for connecting a venturi as previously suggested. If you omitted the venturi in that flow scheme, you limit the suction potential with the unintended and potentially disasterous consequence of creating a backflow path in the event of a blockage.
Without the venturi I'm best described as using aspiration instead. I understand the blockage risk; however, any blockage of my heat exchange water would be at the influent and of no consequence. It's true that blockage at the effluent could be disasterous, but it's difficult to imagine such a scenario.

Tags
condensation