Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2011, 06:06   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
Weather Along Route to Bermuda

I was planning on leaving for Bermuda on the morning of Saturday the 15th from the Delaware Bay. However, it looks like a low pressure system will be moving up from the Carolinas on the 19th/20th with strong winds forecast offshore between US and Bermuda. If I left a day earlier (Friday), that would give us 5 days to get to Bermuda (averaging 140/day), and missing the nasty weather. Any thoughts or opinions on this plan?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	156-1.png
Views:	220
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	32572   Click image for larger version

Name:	168-1.png
Views:	228
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	32573  

Name:	156.png
Views:	219
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	32574   Click image for larger version

Name:	168.png
Views:	210
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	32575  

mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 06:36   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Weather on Route to Bermuda

And if you do not average 140 miles/day you might have Bermuda as a lee shore in 45 knots and 20 ft seas.

Seamanship is often about not taking foolish risks.

Phil

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 10:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
I was planning on leaving for Bermuda on the morning of Saturday the 15th from the Delaware Bay. However, it looks like a low pressure system will be moving up from the Carolinas on the 19th/20th with strong winds forecast offshore between US and Bermuda. If I left a day earlier (Friday), that would give us 5 days to get to Bermuda (averaging 140/day), and missing the nasty weather. Any thoughts or opinions on this plan?
It is a pretty narrow window. The 19th does look shitty, but the weather before is decent. That means you need to keep up a 5.6kt average (leaving the 14th early am) to beat it in and motoring whenever you drop below that. If you are willing to do that, and have a reliable motor, then you are good.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 10:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
It is a pretty narrow window. The 19th does look shitty, but the weather before is decent. That means you need to keep up a 5.6kt average (leaving the 14th early am) to beat it in and motoring whenever you drop below that. If you are willing to do that, and have a reliable motor, then you are good.
The engine is a fairly new Yanmar, a 110 gallon fuel tank, and I have no problem with using it to get there quickly. I'm going to keep an eye on the forecast, but tentatively planning on early on 14th.
Old 13-10-2011, 13:50   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Weather Along Route to Bermuda

There are some really interesting current patterns on that route...

Ocean Prediction Center - Product Loops

You'd sure want to avoid that current running north right up 70 W Longitude.

I've never seen it quite so convoluted out there. If you can avoid the foul currents and find the "good" side of one of those cold eddys you could catch a nice ride.

This is the last frame in the animated forecast in the link above...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GS copy.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	32600  
Old 19-10-2011, 08:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

so, did you leave on the 14th? Have you beat the winds into bermuda ?
Old 20-10-2011, 05:58   #7

Quote:
so, did you leave on the 14th? Have you beat the winds into bermuda ?
We ended up leaving Greenwich, NJ around 10pm on Thrusday the 13th. We made it to St. Georges around 8AM Tuesday the 18th. So about 4 1/2 days. We were able to follow the rhumb very closely the entire way. The winds were 20-30knots the first couple days, close hauled then coming around on the beam. Sunday the winds eased to 10-15knots directly behind us. And Monday the winds were very light (5-10 knots). Overall, it was a very nice trip.
Old 20-10-2011, 06:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
There are some really interesting current patterns on that route...

Ocean Prediction Center - Product Loops

You'd sure want to avoid that current running north right up 70 W Longitude.

I've never seen it quite so convoluted out there. If you can avoid the foul currents and find the "good" side of one of those cold eddys you could catch a nice ride.

This is the last frame in the animated forecast in the link above...
I think it was Saturday night we hit the strong E current off the Delmarva peninsula. We were headed about 170 deg to make a course of 135 deg to Bermuda.
Old 20-10-2011, 06:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Overall, it was a very nice trip.
Terrific. Good job.

I did see those strongish close hauled winds develop and hoped you were not too uncomfortable.
Old 20-10-2011, 06:37   #10

Quote:
Terrific. Good job.

I did see those strongish close hauled winds develop and hoped you were not too uncomfortable.
While we were close hauled, it was a little bumpy and took lots of spray over the deck the first 24hrs. Double reefed main, staysail, wheel tied to lee and the boat did the rest. At one point I don't think we touched the wheel for 8 hrs.
Old 20-10-2011, 06:43   #11

Beating for 2-3 days in 20-30 knot winds...not my idea of fun way to start off the trip!! But I'm in a 35' Beneteau.

What kind of boat was this trip done in? How was it living at 20-30 degrees of heel for that long? Any equipment breakages?
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 07:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Beating for 2-3 days in 20-30 knot winds...not my idea of fun way to start off the trip!! But I'm in a 35' Beneteau.

What kind of boat was this trip done in? How was it living at 20-30 degrees of heel for that long? Any equipment breakages?
We were only close hauled for the first 12-18 hrs, then the wind started to slowly clock around until it was on the beam, then by Sunday it was more a down wind/light wind affair. The boat is a Tashiba 40 (aka Baba 40). The only thing that broke was one stanchion-mount whisker pole holders when it got snagged by a sheet.
We're probably headed to Puerto Rico tomorrow. I'll report back once we get down there. Anyone know the best marina to haul out and store a boat for a couple months in PR?
Old 20-10-2011, 07:55   #13

Quote:
We were only close hauled for the first 12-18 hrs, then the wind started to slowly clock around until it was on the beam, then by Sunday it was more a down wind/light wind affair. The boat is a Tashiba 40 (aka Baba 40). The only thing that broke was one stanchion-mount whisker pole holders when it got snagged by a sheet.
We're probably headed to Puerto Rico tomorrow. I'll report back once we get down there. Anyone know the best marina to haul out and store a boat for a couple months in PR?
Beautiful....the Baba/Tashiba/Panda 40 is on my short list of boats to eventually upgrade to. That and the Nordic 40. How does that Baba back up? Full keel is great for grounding, but my concern is maneuverability under power....especially in reverse.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Beautiful....the Baba/Tashiba/Panda 40 is on my short list of boats to eventually upgrade to. That and the Nordic 40. How does that Baba back up? Full keel is great for grounding, but my concern is maneuverability under power....especially in reverse.
It's steerage in reverse is not good. It backs to port, with that knowledge you plan you tight docking situations.
Old 20-10-2011, 08:25   #15

Quote:
Puerto del Rey on the east side, south of Fajardo. Find Betsy who will check on your boat daily/weekly for you.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, weather, bermuda