Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 03:22   #16

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
+1 for HK-Japan - Alaska- Panama - Bermuda - home. Not Hawaii - go with the wind while you can cos Carib will be tough.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:33   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Don't pay the ferryman?

Problem could be that you're looking at 2 odd years to sail to the Mediterranean. By the shortest route (14,000 nm? - more from where I'm looking) at a sometimes accepted cruising speed of 100 nm per day you'd be looking at 140 days plus seasonal restrictions and time in port.

A quick look at my globe suggests that the Cape of Good Hope route could be a little shorter, but the both the northern and southern cyclone seasons need to be managed.

Either way you're looking at the best part of 2/3 of a circumnavigation, so assuming modal time of 3 years give or take a few days - two years. I've heard rumors of circumnavigations taking two years - if this is your time table then 16 months. However 4 years looks to be a more comfortable pace so 32 months or 2 1/2 years.

I haven't heard any reports of boats going through the Red Sea but even going that way its likely to take about a year. Discussions on this Forum suggest that most would be unwilling to take the risk of doing it. The possibility of your closest family being bled white to pay an extortionate ransom must be considered as unacceptable.

This article lists ships held as of Jan 21 this year.

I have no knowledge of the market for yachts in Hong Kong, but given the buoyant state of the Chinese economy it may be possible to get a decent price for your boat there. Why not sell up and fly to the Mediterranean. Looks like there's a few nice boats at good prices there.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:46   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Hong Kong to Mediterranean

the best route to oman would be direct via male in the maldives,following the coast is only asking for trouble,fishing nets,unlit boats etc.

via panama in 6 months would envolve crossing the n pac to alaska in winter months to arrive in panama in march-april,then 1000mile motor sail to windward in 25+ winds.

this trip would be best done in 2 parts,crossing from japan june- august to san francisco,then in march the following year,so as to avoid hurricane season in the atlantic and pacific.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:31   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this trip would be best done in 2 parts,crossing from japan june- august to san francisco,then in march the following year,so as to avoid hurricane season in the atlantic and pacific.

Whats wrong with sailing straight through?
June-August to San Francisco (or Hawaii, wherever, I'm too lazy to look up the pilot charts); November to march Panama, Caribbean; May-June Atlantic, Med.

And the Carib is not 1,000 motor sail, its just a little bit to windward. You get used to it after a few days. Puts hairs on ya chest. Makes the beer taste better. On arriving you know you've arrived. So do Customs - by the stench.

I did 15,000nms last year incl plenty to windward and that much sailing in a year is no problem.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:48   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

n pac hurricanes june-dec?
june-june =12month trip......
Old 04-09-2011, 06:04   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I cannot understand the reluctance to use the Panama Canal - hundreds every year and thousands over the years have done it as part of the large South Pacific "Coconut Run" from North America and Europe to the South Pacific.
- - Sailing is always "seasonal" unless you are a giant ship or ocean liner. Every ocean has its "season" for sailing so what's the big deal. If you are going to do it on your boat by yourself you have to accept that even though the days at sea are not that much, the available days per year to sail usually end up meaning multi-year journeys. Add in the time to repair problems on the last leg of the voyage and "non-stops" are pretty much not going to be feasible. If you want the boat somewhere quick - you ship the boat on a freighter.
- - The transPac and Central American/Caribbean and Atlantic route is also very well populated with services and supplies for cruising boats - not to mention great places to visit and explore. Biggest problem would be the "wrong way" crossing of the Pacific. North Pacific Pilot Charts Maritime Safety Information
are not encouraging for staying in the lower latitudes - but folks have done it.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:13   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
n pac hurricanes june-dec?
june-june =12month trip......
Yes, but not in hurricane area at that time.

Do the crossing from HK to San Fran at 30 deg N and have wind up the butt and no storms. (May is too early as the wind is still a header)

Then San Fran to Panama after the Nth Pac hurricane season that finishes November.
Baja Ha is in Oct/Nov.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45   #23

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly View Post
Still I can't stop wondering about the risk on the way to Oman.
Getting through the Malacca (close to Sumatra or Malaysia?), straight over to and rounding Sri Lanka and then hugging the India coastline all the way down to Oman.
If deciding to take the piracy route, which is the best (safest) way to get to Oman?
Hi from Oman,
The last group of yachts that came through here (part of the ill-fated group who tragically lost a yacht and 4 people) came all the way up to India/Pakistan border, and then "headed over" to Muscat.

There were 3 pirate attacks in this region last year - 2 of which were un-successfull. From the capital Muscat, the sail down to Salalah is easy (wind may be the problem) - and there they re-grouped.

Speaking to one of the crews, they managed to get yacht transported from Salalah to Turkey - for aprox $25,000/Yacht (it seemed to depend on your size).

As for pushing on .... your call.

If you need any further Oman info - please let me know.

Tim
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10   #24

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly

Are you permanently staying in Oman?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:06   #25

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM

Quote:
Are you permanently staying in Oman?

Err, Yes. Since 1992...... I may possibly be leaving in July 2012...... but will be here until then.

Tim
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 06:32   #26

Smile Re: Hong Kong to Mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- Sailing is always "seasonal" unless you are a giant ship or ocean liner. Every ocean has its "season" for sailing so what's the big deal. If you are going to do it on your boat by yourself you have to accept that even though the days at sea are not that much, the available days per year to sail usually end up meaning multi-year journeys. Add in the time to repair problems on the last leg of the voyage and "non-stops" are pretty much not going to be feasible. If you want the boat somewhere quick - you ship the boat on a freighter.
- - The transPac and Central American/Caribbean and Atlantic route is also very well populated with services and supplies for cruising boats - not to mention great places to visit and explore. Biggest problem would be the "wrong way" crossing of the Pacific. North Pacific Pilot Charts Maritime Safety Information
are not encouraging for staying in the lower latitudes - but folks have done it.
Checking Jimmy Cornell's book, British Admirality's and the link above, tells me that theoretically it would be possible to start the sailing HKG to San F beginning of Feb. Either go straight out the Luzon Straight and pick up a great circle route heading for SF, or follow the Chinese coastline up and then outside Japan, to pick the route there (a bit to much North though, I believe, maybe take a route more Southerly though a bit longer). That would mean some motoring initially, but later on downwind and following current. It would give about 2 months at sea.
A couple of weeks to reload before take off from SF towards Panama, giving a start in mid April, with mostly decent winds and at least no current against (maybe except for the last part). Down to Panama would take about 1 month, giving extra time I would enter the Caribbean late May.
2 weeks to get to South Florida and from there the standard route to North Europe (and finally Sweden in my case, which I did last year starting mid June), which would bring me home not later than mid August, with some stops on the way.
Except for the different "ifs"...something major brakes on the boat, someone in the crew gets seriously ill or whatever...wouldn't this plan work?
Of course I would need a backup plan if something goes wrong, but if nothing does?
Old 15-09-2011, 18:45   #27

I don't see any reason that you could not "zig zag" - tack southeast and then northeast from island group to island group working your way to Somoa or Kiribati and then northeast to Hawaii. From there the normal route to Panama.
- - Or stay south as much as possible toward the Society Islands and then tack northeast to Mexico/Panama subject to winds.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I don't see any reason that you could not "zig zag" - tack southeast and then northeast from island group to island group working your way to Somoa or Kiribati and then northeast to Hawaii. From there the normal route to Panama.
- - Or stay south as much as possible toward the Society Islands and then tack northeast to Mexico/Panama subject to winds.
But why should I, if there are useable routes in the Northern part that would take me more direct to US west coast and then to Panama?
From Japan there are favourable winds and current.
Remember I'm from Sweden so I'm used to cold weather, which it will be in the first part in the Northern routes.
Also a risk of gales, which is not a major problem if handled right.
Old 16-09-2011, 03:23   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

from hong kong,you need to go a long way north before you get favourable westerly winds,otherwise you have ne'ly winds and current against you.

better make sure you have a good boat for sailing the north pacific in winter,and be prepared for up to force 10 storms that track across the area every 10 days or so as once you leave their ain,t nowhere to stop till you get to the other side.
Old 16-09-2011, 06:21   #30

Quote:
But why should I, if there are useable routes in the Northern part that would take me more direct to US west coast and then to Panama?. . .
No reason why not - except the route (from a Pacific planning chart I have) from the Torres to Panama direct (shipping route) is 8482 nautical miles. Heck of a long leg and even longer if you have to go north to sail the wind patterns.

Tags
mediterranean