Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2022, 15:52   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 381
Cruising Long Island Sound

We will be sailing from Northport NY to Provincetown MA soon and I would like feedback from those familiar with Long Island Sound. We are thinking of taking 4-6 days with a relatively short first day and trying to time things so we arrive around Onset the evening of May 18-20. That should allow us to catch a favorable current through the canal the next morning and be in Provincetown in time for sunset cocktails.

My thoughts for the itinerary are:

Day 1: Port Jefferson (LI side) or Milford (CT side)
Day 2: Falkner Island, Plum Island, Duck Island or thereabouts (depends on where we are after day one)
Day 3: Point Judith or Block Island
Day 4: Buzzards Bay
Day 5: The canal and across the bay to P'town

We would like to grab a slip somewhere along the way for a night or two and anchor out somewhere for a night or two. But where those "somewheres" are is up for discussion (and wind and tides). Are there any places we should definitely stop and others we should definitely avoid?

Thoughts and comments are welcome.
ksuderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 16:00   #2

Boat: Nauticat 33
Re: Cruising Long Island Sound

We enjoy the area between Westerly/Montauk/Block Island much more than the LI sound. Lake Montauk is always fun, Westerly is a super cute town with a fun beach and good walking, plus the jump-off rock just around the corner. Block Island is Block Island, you like it or you don't.

However if you haven't been through Mystic, it's pretty nice. There are plenty of marina's along the way, but for us nothing to write home about.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 16:19   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuderman View Post

Day 2: Falkner Island, Plum Island, Duck Island or thereabouts (depends on where we are after day one)

These spots may all be quite rolly at times. Consider the following alternative:

- 30NM to Mattituck inlet (you can anchor in the cove)

- another 30NM to Fishers Island, if you like being (very relatively) off the beaten path (you can use moorings from Pirate Cove Marine)

Fair winds and enjoy the Sound!
Old 05-05-2022, 16:49   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423

Block island for sure over pt Judith if your first trip.
In BB red brook harbor is a great stop. Onset is easy and also a very nice stop. Or get to Cutty Hunk or South Dartmouth on one day and on to Onset / the canal the next. Hadley Harbor, this side of Woods Hole should be on your list of options. Easy in, easy out and pick up a mooring that time of year easy.

Expect fog.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 17:39   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423

Ps you can probably get a slip, or mooring with launch, at kingman marine in red brook. Good restaurant too. It is early season though and launch schedules can be reduced until Memorial Day. Marion is my home port and burr brothers has transient moorings. Town is VERY quiet.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 20:13   #6

For Day 2 we often do Milford Harbor tucked in behind Charles island to Either Shelter Island, Fishers Island or Block. I usually plan it so I leave Milford about 2-3 hours before high tide which will set us up perfectly for the flush out the sound when it flips. I would skip Faulkner, Plum Island and Duck Island roads. The current rips through all those places and I’ve learned my lesson circling the anchor all night with the tide. If I were advising I’d go for shelter island. It’s beautiful and a nice stop over, if you time it right you’ll hit plum gut near slack and then the incoming tide will push you into shelter island. Fishers is also great just be mindful of expected wind conditions the harbor there is great when it’s blowing out or the south or south west but exposed from the north.

Mattituck is also a good option though it’s hard to get into with draft at low tide.
SurlySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 00:44   #7

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Falkner only works in settled weather. Mattituck would be an option but if you draw more than 5 feet is tricky at low tides going all the way back to the anchorage..

Mystic is a fun stop. Block is fun but Uber crowded on weekends. Get there early if anchoring.

Ditto on Charles Island but Milford town marina is easy and lots of places to eat within walking distance.

Up the CT River to Essex is a fun day. You can tie up at the museum dock with membership (or used to years ago) and the Griswold Inn can be...interesting. Anchor behind Goose island. Short day from there to Block. Full day sail from Port Jeff or Milford to Essex.

Pt Judith harbor of refuge is a good anchorage as is Duck Island Roads but nothing at either but breakwater.

Eldridge would be an essential guide for this trip. Have fun.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 02:59   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:

'just some thoughts regarding our favorites:
-We would likely choose "Day 2" as the marina stay at one of the marinas near I-95 a short distance up the Connecticut River.
-For Day 3 a mooring or anchoring at Newport, RI would be more pleasant that Pt. Judith and better at accommodating the crowd than Block Island,- but still crowded. Napatree Beach anchorage at Watch Hill is wonderful, but a draft concern entering at over 5'.
-Day 4 at Onset is wonderful,- a great anchorage with dinghy access to town,- grocery, laundry, restaurants, etc. There are marinas available here, but we've never stayed at the docks.
-Day 5, If you choose to anchor in P'town and have a suitable dinghy, there's a shallow mound shown on the charts near the Coast Guard station. Anchoring near this keeps you away from the crowd and still clear from the roll that comes in around the point.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:57   #9

As someone said earlier, an ELDRIDGE in this area is valuable, inexpensive, and great instructor. I study it !

I'm not often cruising but moving a boat through. I'll pick a side or shore -- depending on wind. I think I'd do that too -- if cruising.

The currents can be profound and an East wind can make it more than rough and untenable.

I am forever fascinated with the RACE.

I have cruised into Block and prefer to not go ashore.

There are remarkably pretty spots BUT with limited anchorages and facilities, i.e. Greenwich and Southport.

I have a soft spot for havens like Oyster Bay and Shelter Is. on the south and Westbrook's Pilot Pt. marina and yard on the north. Duck Is. Roads, just offshore Westbrook, is a quick if featureless anchorage.

Mystic Seaport is a must -- but a long way in and something you must carefully plan and reserve for.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:47   #10

Over the years we tried many places for overnights (some by choice, some by necessity) my favorite stops are:

1. Cuttyhunk (peaceful, beautiful, quite, friendly)
2. Mystic (seaport museum, amazing food, charming town with everything you might need)
3. Charles Island (quiet little spot to anchor, we caught a fish there once and ate it for dinner that night &#128077
4. Vineyard Sound (good food easy in/out lots of options)
5. Greenport (cool little town)

All the best!!!

D.C.Y.

Quote:
We will be sailing from Northport NY to Provincetown MA soon and I would like feedback from those familiar with Long Island Sound. We are thinking of taking 4-6 days with a relatively short first day and trying to time things so we arrive around Onset the evening of May 18-20. That should allow us to catch a favorable current through the canal the next morning and be in Provincetown in time for sunset cocktails.

We would like to grab a slip somewhere along the way for a night or two and anchor out somewhere for a night or two. But where those "somewheres" are is up for discussion (and wind and tides). Are there any places we should definitely stop and others we should definitely avoid?

D.C.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:30   #11

Being it is May, you won't run into any crowds or problems with picking up moorings or anchoring (including Block). These are all good places for quick transit down Sound but also getting a feel for area.

Places I'd consider for easy in/out and interesting (not necessarily an itinerary):
North Cove, Old Saybrook: just up CT River, peaceful, many moorings, easy walk to town main street, bars, casual restaurants.
Stonington: Anchorage or moorings, nice town/borough
West Harbor, Fishers Island: Good anchorage, nice to walk around.
Block I: especially if you haven't been, will be quiet and interesting to see things opening up for the season.
Cuttyhunk: good anchorage outside, moorings inside.
Onset or anywhere that makes sense outside Canal.
fiddler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:41   #12

Boat: Beneteau 323

We have used the marinas in Brandford as a pretty decent stop if you want a slip. As I sail out of Three Mile Harbor in East Hampton, that is an excellent stopover. In the vicinity, Coecles Harbor in Shelter Island is one of my favorite spots. I agree on the side trip to Mystic. One of the nice things is that if you actually dock at Mystic Seaport, you get the run of the place after it closes to visitors. A very nice experience. And Essex is also worth a trip.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:34   #13

Boat: Benetea 311 swing keel

All great spots Cutty Hunk my best
New London near ferry has free dockage and mooring.
Walk nearby resturants
Bill
Peconiceast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:22   #14

Boat: Nauticat 43

Instead of Plum Island, out of Port Jeff, we anchored off the beach at Horton Pt. This was fine for our overnighter with a steady south wind. We went from there to the East Harbor of Fishers Island and anchored. We only stayed the one night, but, if you're there longer, you may find the West Harbor better because there's more to do.

You don't say what your draft is, but we didn't go into Point Judith because only high tide would work for us. Instead, we went past there toward Newport and anchored in Mackerel Cove. It's a pretty anchorage and pleasant if the winds and waves aren't coming straight in.

We had a great time at Cutty Hunk and stayed a couple of nights on anchor. This was one of the great finds in our trip.

The mooring balls in the inner harbor of Hadley Harbor are maintained by the Forbes family. Unless they are reserved by the Forbes', they are generally available and gratis. Otherwise, if it's croweded, we anchored in the outer harbor which was fine to weather the small craft warning that came up.

Otherwise, you could consider a mooring ball in Mattapoisett Harbor to stage closer to the canal entrance. That is a beautiful stop and was fun to bike around.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:53   #15

Boat: Cheer Men PT41

Buying the 2022 Eldridge Tide & Pilot book should be Priority 1 - to gain maximum current benefit.
Short Day 1 - anchor in the Thimble Islands adjacent to Branford - buoyed and plenty depth.
Day 2 - 50 statute miles to Mystic Seaport Museum - nice ride up the river, Mystic River Rail bridge to open, then Mystic River Highway bridge which opens only at 20 mins to the hour. Tie to the fixed dock next to the Fire boat if you have to wait - says 15mins but not enforced. Anchor in channel past the museum at green can 52. Dinghy dock at museum about 400 yards away.
Day 3 - Mystic - worth a day there.
Day 4 - 65 miles to Cuttyhunk
Day 5 - Thro canal to Plymouth
Day 6 - Provincetown
mickand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Long Island, long island sound