Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 12:11   #1

Another missing sailor Fishers Island/Long Island Sound area

NEW YORK – The Coast Guard is searching for a missing boater near Fishers Island, N.Y., today.
Missing is Daniel Strelczuk, 62, of Thompson, Conn.
Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound command center received notification from a Good Samaritan stating that they had come across an adrift sailing vessel in the vicinity of Fishers Island, Saturday night.
Strelczuk's son notified the Coast Guard that his father was reportedly sailing from Noank, Conn., on Saturday, and headed toward Fishers Island, aboard the 30-foot fiberglass sailboat Cassiopea.

Coast Guard, local agencies search for missing Conn. boater

Bad start to the season in these waters.
Old 18-05-2014, 13:36   #2

Re: Another missing sailor Fishers Island/Long Island Sound area

Seems the Coast Guard has given up on the search after figuring out he could have survived only 14 hours. Apparently he was not wearing a life jacket. Was part of a flotilla following the Charles W. Morgan (last surviving U.S. whaler) out of Mystic to New London. Called his son about 1:30 PM said he was returning to shore. Boat was found at 4:30 pm engine still running. Unlike the previous missing sailor two weeks ago the weather was fair and there must of been a number of recreational boats in the area as part of the flotilla following the historic ship. Still he was lost within a mile or two of land in Fishers Island Sound. Sad.

Coast Guard Suspends Search for Missing Boater | NBC Connecticut
Old 20-05-2014, 05:56   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I have a slip in Noank and chose to remain there attending to fitting out my Monitor windvane rather than join the boats observing the Morgan. I sat on my foredeck and had a clear view of the Morgan with my binoculars. I hadn't heard about the missing man until yesterday. He may very well have been from my marina. I'm going to check further later today. This is very sad. I too am alone 99% of the time aboard.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 06:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
I have a slip in Noank and chose to remain there attending to fitting out my Monitor windvane rather than join the boats observing the Morgan. I sat on my foredeck and had a clear view of the Morgan with my binoculars. I hadn't heard about the missing man until yesterday. He may very well have been from my marina. I'm going to check further later today. This is very sad. I too am alone 99% of the time aboard.
Jim:

Just wondering if you heard anything more about the missing sailor? He was the second missing sailor in a week in the area and easily within sight of land other boaters. Just a reminder one does not have to be 1000 miles at sea for one to be lost.

Tags
fish, Fisher, Long Island, long island sound, sail