Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 05:54   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Bad Idea? Starting our cruise in St. Thomas (ish) vs. Florida? 6 kids...ya

New plan sounds workable. Don't see any major concerns.

One question, I don't recall seeing specifics of your boating experience on this thread but I gather from the context it isn't extensive. The point being, cruising through the out islands of the southern Bahamas and the T&C can be tricky.

There are very few lights (and fewer that work) and aids to navigation. Charts in some areas are incomplete or unreliable. Eyeball navigation and good visibility is the key here. Overnight sailing should be done with care and only areas with a clear route. Entering harbors only in daytime, preferably with the sun high and behind you to light the channel. Don't forget a good pair of polarized sunglasses.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:26   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

Skipmac - your are correct that my resume isn't extensive. Great points about the area and themes I have read echoed elsewhere. I will possibly look for an affordable mate while sailing through the Bahamas with the Admiral's approval.

Growing up at the beach in southern California, I lifeguarded in Huntington Beach and surf/windsurf/sail/powerboat; but have ZERO experience offshore. All of my sailing too has been day sailing on vessels only up to 36' monos. My cat experience is limited to Hobie 16's and a 1970's Sailcraft 32' pocket cruiser I was a partner on. I currently am a sailing instructor on dinghy and J22's.

The Pacific has taught me a lot about large swells, cold rocky coasts and erratic winds; but we have nothing like the East Coast/Bahamas with their expansive shallows, reefs, and relentless trade winds.

To be sure, during the survey/sea trial of the L450 in Saint Martin this summer, I was almost sick to my stomach with nerves when they asked if I wanted to helm and put in a few tacks. Somehow in all the craziness of a destination survey with half a million on the line it had completely escaped me that I might be offered to ACTUALLY sail this thing...ha!

So, with both brokers, the surveyor and owner staring at me (all professional racers!) I took the helm and was quickly told by the owner in a suave French accent that "Derek, catamarans prefer to stay a bit more off the wind." In my distraction I had begun to point her almost close-hauled...my humility discovered a new capacity for fullness!
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:41   #33

Why start in Florida? Fly to somewhere and get on the boat. If you think you will need outfitting and work then deliver the boat to Trinidad and fly the family there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:11   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"1. I fly from Aruba to California with family luggage/boat spares,"
OK, but I think if you turn that around and fly from Cali to Aruba that'd be a much better start.(G)
Considering what airlines extort for excess baggage these days, if you are taking any heavy boating spares with you, it can pay to have them shipped by USPS, UPS or Fedex Ground, and the last two have some type of discount offer for many affinity groups and professional associations. If things fit in a USPS "flat rate priority mail" box, that's a great way to ship dense goods cheaper. If there's no marina or other place to have them shipped to, then the USPS can and will hold parcels "c/o General Delivery" at any main post office, they can fill you in on that.
Sounds like a great time to be had.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:14   #35

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I'm not going to rehash what has already been written here, but as a slight aside I will post the thread and YouTube channel of a previously Florida based Russian family with a bunch of kids and a new baby who are now cruising in the Caribbean.

I don't think that they had a lot of previous sailing experience but maybe it's a useful insight into some aspects of family life aboard.

The other thing that I would add (without any offence intended) is that europeans, as opposed to americans, simply don't worry as much about a lot of things and simply just get on with it

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-195481.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingManaKai

Hope this helps.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:46   #36
Marine Service Provider

I’ve been checking out this this family and hopefully they’ll be in contact soon to talk.

St. THOMAS is looking more and more like the plan.

Also, avoiding Puerto Rico for now until we can budget import duty/taxes that they will seemingly hit me with immediately. (French boat, never imported, registration is with USCG only, never been to the states though).

If we want to stay in PR for a while we will happily pay the taxes as I understand they stay locally and will support the local economy.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:02   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'm surprised it could be USCG documented without being formally imported into the US, since in theory there is a domestic home port for documented vessels. (I know, import fees don't toll until there's a physical import in other nations, just surprised the US would be equally logical and generous.)

But St. Thomas and PR are both US insular territories, if you have to pay the duty and follow the import process to enter one--it should be the same in the other.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:19   #38

My understanding is the duty is very low. At least it was when I checked bringing a boat in from Canada.
I think the OP should consider living with the boat setup as it is until getting back to the states and doing the upgrades/additions here. Cost is much lower and project easier i think.
Also, not sure St Thomas is a great place for family cruising. St John nicer and not the crime of St Thom.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 15:21   #39
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the response you two.

I was reading quite a bit last night on the taxes from current cruisers in Puerto Rico. They referenced Noonsite as having current info; and their experience mirrored the info their.

Puerto Rico wants all possible taxes and doesn’t have to send them back to the mainland; but the current tax cap is around US$10k.

Import duty is 1.5%, my purchase price of US$425k yields US$6,375

Compared to boats of old, and what we’re used to, this ‘day charter’ equipped vessel still has:

Chart plotter w/ autopilot
(2) fridges or freezers
425w solar over the davits
Full galley
(2) vhf radios
Life raft (offshore)

These newer boats are so beautiful and equipped even in stock trim compared to what my wife and I would be comfortable with doing a short trip to Mexico. We typically don’t even do refrigeration and make routine market runs (Euro style). I already feel so far ahead.

Obviously I need spares, etc. But the islands are all very close, ya?

Tags
cruise, florida, kids