Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 16:53   #121
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
idk, if you enjoy reading their blog as I do, why not email your question to Pat at bums@bumfuzzle.com on their site? You might get the answer to your question. Just a thought.

idk - join date - today, first post - this one, current activity - private messaging....

What ever happened to introductions?
Old 17-08-2010, 17:18   #122

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by idk View Post
I don't care about the paypal thing much (although i do think that the idea of donations as some sort of payment for work writing the blog as a bit weak), but I'd be lying if i said i wasn't annoyed by the type who ONLY want the positives from something like this while never actually hearing what people really thought.
Nothing new about this, just human nature. Everyone likes to hear good news, and wants to shoot the messenger when its bad. Its the wanting it to be otherwise that upsets us.
Old 17-08-2010, 17:29   #123
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Nothing new about this, just human nature. Everyone likes to hear good news, and wants to shoot the messenger when its bad. Its the wanting it to be otherwise that upsets us.

True. I guess when it's so public it comes across as a bit whiny. At least when it's only public because the person wanted it to be.
Not the end of the world, just struck me as odd when i read it and remembered this conversation here.
Old 17-08-2010, 17:34   #124
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
idk, if you enjoy reading their blog as I do, why not email your question to Pat at bums@bumfuzzle.com on their site? You might get the answer to your question. Just a thought.

idk - join date - today, first post - this one, current activity - private messaging....

What ever happened to introductions?
i think i miss your point...if you have one.
like i said, it just reminded me of this conversation here.
i hardly thought it was important enough to hassle the guy about. he's just living his life on a boat with his family and i'm just thinking out loud.
i suppose i didn't realize that i wasn't allowed to post on my first day here.
hi i'm chris by the way.
Old 17-08-2010, 17:46   #125

Quote:
I just read it for the first time in a long time (since they're back on a boat).
A certain comment struck me as very strange.

"13-Aug-2010 9:11 PM
It never fails, as soon as I spout off about how much the cruising community, especially the online bit, annoys me, cruisers and Bum friends come by to say and do nice things"

Why ,if he dislikes the attention from the online 'community' so much, does he blog about every detail of his life online. I presume he had something to do with so many people becoming aware of they're adventures in the first place? Maybe even promoted it a little?
Maybe because the same 'online community' hands over they're money through paypal so that he and family can basically do whatever they want?

I don't care about the paypal thing much (although i do think that the idea of donations as some sort of payment for work writing the blog as a bit weak), but I'd be lying if i said i wasn't annoyed by the type who ONLY want the positives from something like this while never actually hearing what people really thought.
Have you actually read some of the comments that have been postd about Pat and Ali on this forum? Do a little research, look up some past threads (those that have not been deleted by the mods) and maybe you will understand the bums comments about the online community.

There is a big difference between disagreeing with their opinions and some of the flaming that went on here.
Old 17-08-2010, 17:52   #126

Boat: Prout Manta 38
I don't understand the negativity about the donation thing. Would you complain if they had advertisements on the blog? There's hardly a web page today that doesn't help pay the bills with Google ads or something similar (including this one). Personally, I find it refreshing to look at a nice clean page and to be given the choice of donating or not. You don't have to read the blog if you don't want to.

Until recently I hadn't visited the site. I was put off by all the comments about their ineptitude. Stupidity doesn't interest me. I finally dropped in and read the early blogs until they got to Australia. Maybe it's because I know they made it around and back again, but I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. The Bumfuzzles are younger, braver, and with more discretionary income than most of us, but they definitely aren't dumb. They enjoy poking fun at themselves, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I appreciate the significant amount of time and effort they must expend to keep the blog up to date, and some of the photos are exquisite. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new boat turns out.

Carrie
Old 17-08-2010, 17:53   #127
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Have you actually read some of the comments that have been postd about Pat and Ali on this forum? Do a little research, look up some past threads (those that have not been deleted by the mods) and maybe you will understand the bums comments about the online community.

There is a big difference between disagreeing with their opinions and some of the flaming that went on here.
yes, i have. was there something really terrible that i missed?
it just seemed like a few people questioning their 'pay for out lifestyle' thing.
unless some things were deleted, it all seems pretty harmless and to be expected when you put yourself out there. just like any other person who puts themselves in the public eye.
Old 17-08-2010, 18:02   #128
idk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimarah View Post
I don't understand the negativity about the donation thing. Would you complain if they had advertisements on the blog? There's hardly a web page today that doesn't help pay the bills with Google ads or something similar (including this one). Personally, I find it refreshing to look at a nice clean page and to be given the choice of donating or not. You don't have to read the blog if you don't want to.

Until recently I hadn't visited the site. I was put off by all the comments about their ineptitude. Stupidity doesn't interest me. I finally dropped in and read the early blogs until they got to Australia. Maybe it's because I know they made it around and back again, but I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. The Bumfuzzles are younger, braver, and with more discretionary income than most of us, but they definitely aren't dumb. They enjoy poking fun at themselves, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I appreciate the significant amount of time and effort they must expend to keep the blog up to date, and some of the photos are exquisite. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new boat turns out.

Carrie
personally i think advertising would be a better was to go to generate money. nothing wrong with someone paying for a service.
obviously it just rubs some people the wrong was that a well to do family would just ask for money so they can basically take it easy.
maybe it's the due to the fact that it seems to be the way society is perceived to be headed. more and more people seem to feel entitled to whatever they want. this is just a good example.

that said, if anyone wants to 'donate' to my dream of buying a large cruising yacht, quitting work and just relaxing with my family on the water....i'm willing to consider it.
Old 17-08-2010, 18:11   #129

Boat: 34 Marshall Californian - FlyWright
Quote:
that said, if anyone wants to 'donate' to my dream of buying a large cruising yacht, quitting work and just relaxing with my family on the water....i'm willing to consider it.

IDK, I'll tell you what...if you quit your job, buy a beater yacht, and sail around the world while maintaining an updated blog, I'll send you your first buck. Deal?
Old 17-08-2010, 18:27   #130
idk

Deal! Can it be a few bucks though?
Old 17-08-2010, 18:32   #131

Sorry, a deal's a deal. It's locked in at a buck! But hey, you should be grateful....I don't give my money away to just anyone!
Old 17-08-2010, 18:37   #132
idk

i worded that wrong. it should have been 'make it a few bucks and you have a deal!". oh well...i'll take what i can get (when i quit my job).
cheers!
Old 17-08-2010, 18:43   #133

...and don't forget the part about buying a beater yacht and sailing around the world while maintaining an updated blog. ONLY THEN have you earned your George Washington!
Old 17-08-2010, 19:11   #134

Boat: Island Packet Cat, 35 ft, Knotty Cat
Wow! Things sure can get heated on these forums! I found the Bumfuzzles elsewhere and I have to tell you, my first thought was, 'Finally, here are some kids from the younger generation who haven't wussed out!'
How many of you are aware that a lot of todays generation of college graduates are making a habit of taking daddy along on their first job interview? I'm not kidding. It's called helicoptor parenting (hovering, if you don't get it) so, for me, the Bumfuzzles have been a breath of fresh air.
They have made me feel so much better about just getting out there and doing it, and I'm 50 years old! And let's face it, they haven't taken horrific and unnecessary risks, they're not stupid for God's sake!
As for the donate button; they are on a ton of blogs out there but at least this couple is honest with theirs (they don't string us along with 'grandpa needs a new hip etc...), if you like them and want to give them a couple of bucks, go for it.
So that said, I find them to be entertaining and I can attest they aren't the first couple to make the decision to sail away after a couple of pitchers of beer, only in our case chicken wings were involved, not pizza!
Old 17-08-2010, 20:05   #135

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Looks like this thread sudden got legs again!