Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2010, 13:57   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I think (for me) what came across as negative was the rest of the post that came along with "I don't think I'd have much ...", such as:

and

As for US Senators and tub boat captains, they aren't usually found posting on a cruisers forum so I don't see the connection.
I'm just being honest. If you don't see how an extremely wealthy couple (by nearly any standard) asking for donations to further finance their yachting adventure could rub someone the wrong way, I think you're reaching. You don't need to personally find it odd or offensive, but it shouldn't be too hard to piece together how that might in some small way put some people off.

At at minimum, it's certainly a type of behavior that I have nothing in common with. I'm not trying to play my sad little violin, but for those of us who had a taste of poverty growing up, watching your parents have to beg money out of friends to pay for groceries creates an odd juxtaposition against a $100K yacht grew doing something similar.
Old 21-07-2010, 16:29   #92

I honestly cannot see how anyone can possibly have a problem with the Bumfuzzles offering the option to contribute to their adventure.

They work hard and provide an amazing website for free. Not many people have the skills, humour or commitment to put together a blog that is actually interesting to read.

How can anyone be put off by the option to pay exactly what they want (including nothing) for the entertainment and knowledge provided?

They don't beg or try and live on others generosity. They work hard and produce a website that is worth something to many people. The only difference is that they have an extremely fair, inoffensive and simple way for people to decide what the service is worth to them.

The website has given me a huge amount of entertainment and insight. That's worth a lot to me so I have bought the book and PayPal'd the Bums a pizza. Hopefully next time I can do it in person.
Old 21-07-2010, 16:54   #93

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm just being honest. If you don't see how an extremely wealthy couple (by nearly any standard) asking for donations to further finance their yachting adventure could rub someone the wrong way, I think you're reaching. You don't need to personally find it odd or offensive, but it shouldn't be too hard to piece together how that might in some small way put some people off.

At at minimum, it's certainly a type of behavior that I have nothing in common with. I'm not trying to play my sad little violin, but for those of us who had a taste of poverty growing up, watching your parents have to beg money out of friends to pay for groceries creates an odd juxtaposition against a $100K yacht grew doing something similar.
I was just responding to your post of ...

Quote:
Yeah I hope I don't come across as negative in regards to "I don't think I'd have much in common with you." I wouldn't have much in common with a US Senator or a tug boat captain either when you get right down to it (barring sharing some common interests which probably aren't there). I think there's some factoid out there that you make the median income of your five closest friends. It's not rocket science; you have the most in common with people in your social strata.
I thought you were concerned that any negativity may have contributed to Bumfuzzle leaving the forum. My feedback was that it seemed negative to me, that's all.
Old 21-07-2010, 16:55   #94

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by handmer View Post
the Bums a pizza. Hopefully next time I can do it in person.
That would be an interesting evening/weekend.
Old 21-07-2010, 17:03   #95

Quote:

I can understand why Pat and Ali have stayed away from this place. Too much passing judgment on everything they do. I looked at some of the old threads and see crap just like the above. Snide remarks, criticisms on how they do things and how they just went out and did it. If I were in their shoes, all the whiners and blowhards would be told to take a flying leap off a deep pier.
Old 21-07-2010, 17:15   #96

Boat: Manta 40
Quote:
I like reading their stories. I wish you f&^%ers hadn't chased them away so fast.
X3, thanks for calling like it is. Many of the most vociferous members here are full of something other than sailing knowledge. I have referenced the BF website for tips on maintenance and destinations more than any other source.
Old 22-07-2010, 09:57   #97

Rebel Heart, how many circumnavigations do you have under your belt? I do not know but I would guess zero. Maybe this is the true source of you finding no common ground.
The chronicles of there travels is well written, great photographs, and full of useful information. It has value. What is the problem with offering a very unabstrusive means to pay for that value should one choose?
Plus,what ever happened to that old adage, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?"
I have spent more than an hour or two reading about there adventures, I think I will go by them a pizza, a more than fair exchange I think. Thanks Pat and Ali, happy trails!
Old 22-07-2010, 15:01   #98

Boat: 48' Hi Star
So many people criticizing this "wealthy" couple. Anyone know how they got their money or what their background is? Hint: They are not from wealthy families.

Seems to me they made good decisions at a young age before they got bogged down in "life" as so many of you did. Good for them, I say.
Old 22-07-2010, 15:57   #99

Boat: Catalina 42'
Well Pat, seems the vast majority of folks here appreciate your content and your presence. In life, I too have had to outline my intentions in baby language for those who have not really deserved an explanation. I've found in most cases it's frustrating and not good for my blood pressure.

So, if you're still considering being involved here (and as I said before, that would surprise me for obvious reasons), then please consider ignoring the comments made by the ignorant. Strange how those two words sound so much alike and work so well together.
Old 22-07-2010, 16:44   #100

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Quote:

Hey Rebel, don't hate everyone and everything that is different from you.
Get along, go along, be gentle.
Old 22-07-2010, 17:00   #101
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by handmer View Post
I honestly cannot see how anyone can possibly have a problem with the Bumfuzzles offering the option to contribute to their adventure.

They work hard and provide an amazing website for free. Not many people have the skills, humour or commitment to put together a blog that is actually interesting to read.

How can anyone be put off by the option to pay exactly what they want (including nothing) for the entertainment and knowledge provided?

They don't beg or try and live on others generosity. They work hard and produce a website that is worth something to many people. The only difference is that they have an extremely fair, inoffensive and simple way for people to decide what the service is worth to them.

The website has given me a huge amount of entertainment and insight. That's worth a lot to me so I have bought the book and PayPal'd the Bums a pizza. Hopefully next time I can do it in person.
+1

I could't agree more.
Old 22-07-2010, 17:15   #102

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
I notice all the naysayers have stopped posting here. I guess with the Bumfuzzles gone, there is no one beat up on.

Time for a quote:

Quote:
If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.
…..Hermann Hesse
Old 22-07-2010, 17:53   #103

You probably notice,that a large majority of the haters are the ones with large numbers of posting. Kind of makes you wonder as to what life style they really enjoy,certainly not their boats. You will also notice that the quality of the posting from these large number poster is pretty poor, mostly borrowed information.
Thank you Bumfuzzle,for a great blog and for coming on here and being you. Good luck
Old 22-07-2010, 18:03   #104

I'm going to buy them a pizza, I'll buy them many!
Old 22-07-2010, 18:47   #105

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I rub quite a few people the wrong way too around these kind of public discourses Pat...get over it and keep contributing..

You are right ...the Donate button is a silly reason to bug out of here.

I have yet to utilize the ignore button for more the one day...then I changed it back again... thinking myself immature to not be able to read the insights of someone with a different point of view.... that to them is just a justifiable as mine...and rightly so.

If it was constant and I felt depressed every time I logged on then yes I would wipe the dust off my sandals and never return..

As they say if we all agreed one of us isn't necessary..

I had you mixed up with the FreeBirds when I first heard of you so never followed your blog...once Tao set me straight on that I have enjoyed most all you sailing stuff anyway.

I to, spend too much time here but I don't mingle on the dock very well so all my sailing friends have come from sailing forms...I can honestly say I have made some that I hope to have the rest of my life...you may or may not become one of those if you don't hang out here enough for us to get acquainted...that could be a shame for both of us.

I think my sentiments ring with a great majority here.

Toughen up and stick around...Id be most grateful.

Get involved responding to a thread of YOUR interest insted of just ones with you as the center of topic and I think all this will melt away....Shoot jump on one I start and give me your honest opinion...I can take it...

All my best
Scott

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Closed Thread