Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2010, 20:35   #181

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Talking nooo not that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
I thought that was what the anchoring forum was used for ?

-Sven
We don't even know what make of anchor they used or may have now....

This subject is too delicate and controversial to air in public.

Todd
Old 01-10-2010, 13:07   #182

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually
Anchors

Their website says they have 2 CQR's a 60 and a 44, not sure yet how much chain they have. I love these guys, wish they needed a babysitter/manny I'd volunteer for room and board. The wife might not like it, but there it is.
Old 01-10-2010, 13:21   #183
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Do they have a job? Maybe they are just doing great. splitting a hair here.
The Schultes are fine . . . making progress on the refit of the new Bumfuzzle and eager to take her down into San Francisco Bay as soon as she's ready. They both worked hard at their jobs in Chicago before they liquidated virtually everything they owned, bought a 35' catamaran and circumnavigated over about 3 1/2 years.

Careful money management and smart investing allow them to live the life they are, now, and Pat could probably make a decent living as a travel writer if he wished to pursue that, but you needn't worry about the wolf being at their door any time soon.

They will not be returning to Cruisers Forum to participate in the activity here . . . their plate is already full and there's only so much time.

TaoJones
Old 01-10-2010, 14:17   #184

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

They will not be returning to Cruisers Forum to participate in the activity here . . . their plate is already full and there's only so much time.

TaoJones
That's too bad but I wouldn't be here either if every time I showed up I got hammered for silly stuff.
Old 01-10-2010, 16:13   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Standing corrected on inside in...

Gord,
I thought I was quoting Ogden Nash, but being unable to find an appropriate reference I stand corrected.
Old 01-10-2010, 17:10   #186

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
If I had a pizza, and I'm not saying I do have a pizza, but if I did-- I give it to them.
Old 01-10-2010, 17:25   #187

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
I'd give it to them so fast it would make your head spin.
Old 01-10-2010, 17:42   #188

yes, i have, great stuff, as they are actually doing instead of just tlking about it
Old 01-10-2010, 18:04   #189

Boat: PETERSON 44
Im not a fuzzle just a bum. If you gave me the pizza Id share it with a fuzzle. I could tell you a story about a pit bull a preteen mother and 5 angry armed dads (that means guns) who anchor with grapnells own multihulled power boats and have opposite sex crew that are younger then they. Are you near Annapolis?
Hungry
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Gord,
I thought I was quoting Ogden Nash, but being unable to find an appropriate reference I stand corrected.
An American poet & humourist* said; “Poets aren't very useful, because they aren't consumeful or very produceful. (* Ogden Nash)

Old 03-10-2010, 23:13   #191
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'
Very late to this thread

I enjoyed the bumfuzzle approach. I can see why it wound some people up - just one aspect of many was that it hardly touched on the sailing/navigation angst - they just "set off to" and "arrived at" places without yards of fretting or (apparently) much planning. I can't remember them referring to charts or navigation much if at all - but they just must've done some to get there!

Partly, this was cos they're bright people and the rtw trip doesn't need a zillion years of practice - you can (and they did) do it one step at a time. And partly of course, Pat is *very* self-deprecating with his web entries along the lines of "so, i just thought, what the heck, i'll rebuild the motor myself". And partly, it's a novel approach and his writing style ("much better pizzas here") got attention.

I suspect that pat's nonchalant style was intiially for the consumption of closer friends and family back home - it's reassuring to read that everything's just fine and all the funnies/pizzas shows that they just *must* be fine if they've still got their sense of humour.

With this later adventure, I think pat has realised how much he undervalued his own practical skills - initially they spent more on a boat imagining that it would buy them clear of problems - which it plainly didn't, or not entirely. This time he has a warts-and-all boat that dates from a simpler boat-building age, and at a price at which if something works, it's a plus.

As for their lack of forum posting... i think that generally, if you're out there "doing it" you just don't have the time to do forums much if at all. A forum presence needs daily or more frequent attention to keep up with the vibe as the "action" is the forum itself. A boating forum is "reading and writing about boating" and isn't actually "boating". I was massive contributor to (other) forums whilst only boating a few weeks/weekends a year, much less so now more full-time going places. Keeping his own mega-blog going is enough - there wouldn't be time (or internet access, or inclination) to do much more than drop in to boat forums just a bit now and again.

I have no prob with the donate button. Others sell advertising, what the heck?
Old 03-10-2010, 23:47   #192

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mct View Post
Very late to this thread

As for their lack of forum posting... i think that generally, if you're out there "doing it" you just don't have the time to do forums much if at all. A forum presence needs daily or more frequent attention to keep up with the vibe as the "action" is the forum itself. A boating forum is "reading and writing about boating" and isn't actually "boating". I was massive contributor to (other) forums whilst only boating a few weeks/weekends a year, much less so now more full-time going places. Keeping his own mega-blog going is enough - there wouldn't be time (or internet access, or inclination) to do much more than drop in to boat forums just a bit now and again.
Nah!.... I don't buy that at all...we have several posters out there doing it as you say...MarkJ is a great asset to the forum and posts allot while out there....and he is very opinionated yet loved by many.

No I see the problem as a self fostered one on Bumfuzzles part around here really...I mentioned to Pat that if he would just start posting to other threads that interested him OTHER then ones with a Bumfuzzle heading to it that most all his detractors would disappear...He has to date not done that.

He hasent put in any real investment into CF...no investment no return...Pat of all people should know that from his past career path.

Just saying..

Build a glass house and there will be those throwing rock at your windows just to see how good of a Glazier you are.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-10-2010, 00:39   #193
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'
Hah you may have hit the nail on the head!

Fairly suddenly, a couple of noobs just bought a boat and set off over the horizon. This pretty much made a mockery of all those planning, saving, training and slaving for years. AND it kinda shot holes in the need for lots of (if not all) forum content in CF too - all those subforums about finance, planning, destinations, questions, queries, more planning - all evidently superfluous!

Bumfuzzle proved that you don't need any advice whatsoever from all the combined wisdom of CF to do the biggest trip of all.

Perhaps that's the real reason why they got flak from CF - they didn't ask everyone's advice and a zillion questions first, darnit!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:22   #194
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
and he is very opinionated yet loved by many.

Its only because I'm right! But I'm less loved at the moment cos some think I am grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post

I mentioned to Pat that if he would just start posting to other threads that interested him OTHER then ones with a Bumfuzzle heading to it that most all his detractors would disappear...He has to date not done that.

He hasent put in any real investment into CF...no investment no return...
Yeay, I think I've seen some people jump on CF and their posts seem to be an ad for their website. It kinda grates me. I don't know if Bumfizzles started out like that. Some folks are givers, some takers.

There is an investment needed into CF, but it certainly pays off.
Before I left to go buy a boat and go off into the sunset I had done enough posts here so many regulars knew me.
Unlike others, even though I've sailed all my life, I still need HEAPS of advice.
So now I'm cruising is use CF MORE than before I was out in the wilds.
When I do ask for some advice - mechanical, electrical, anything I really don't know I get swamped with knowledgeable, helpful people who do not stop assisting me until my problem is fixed.

2 threads about my gas stove had 68 responses!!!!!!!!! Thats good folks helping me, using their time and intellignece to get me outta the difficulty
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/eno-gas-stove-how-do-i-unscrew-cooktop-40421.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/gas-fitting-on-stove-help-45920.html

But did they give me their time for free? NO it was as 'payment' for the time and effort I have put into helping other people problems - even the ones where my advice has sunk their boat -now no problem!

Not every forum will be the right 'fit' for people. And those that CF doesn't 'fit' eventually go elsewhere.

I am reminded about a group of 26 boats trying to do the same thing recently - work together in a convoy. Someone said "its like herding cats". I thought about that and worked out that as a group of men, the skippers of 26 boats who have all almost circumnavigated, are all such strong, independant people than there is no way that only one way can be the right way.

CF is the right way for some people. I think its a good fit for me. Those that it doesn't fit are just another type of cat

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 08-10-2010, 09:39   #195

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post

The irony was that after all of the posts here about going for it; about doing it now; about how you'll only regret the things you didn't do - when an adventurous young couple actually followed through on the plan, they were subjected to unbelievable scorn, by some, on this Forum.

It left a pretty bitter taste in their mouths, I think. But, clearly, they are still adventurous, if more mature , and have chosen to return to the life aquatic and raise their family in this lifestyle. I sincerely hope, if they do choose to join Cruisers Forum, that they will be welcomed in the cordial way we all want to be received in a new setting.

TaoJones
Heh. Maybe they could try my solution - a nice big slug of Orange Juice. Takes that bitter taste away, "right now!"

I can relate! But, here I still am...

BTW, their spreadsheets, so kindly shared, led us to doing ones of our own, rather more detailed (those who read my stuff will "get it" immediately!).

Extremely valuable, viewed over time. Shows us where we should cut back, and where we should prepare for more...

I don't have a blog, as noted elsewhere in other subforums, and haven't posted our spreadsheets anywhere, but if there are those here who'd like to see how much, and where, we spend our very conservative bux, drop me a line off-forum (my internet broadband is very sporadic, but I can usually fetch email reasonably quickly), at skipgundlach@gmail.com.

Unrelated to this thread at all, other than the "bitter" stuff above, even blasts are welcomed in email. I'll respond, courteously, to those, too. You may find that we'll become friends, as many attackers in the past have done...

L8R

Skip, aboard Morgan 461 #2, SV Flying Pig KI4MPC - currently in Hopetown, Abaco Bahamas

L8R
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Closed Thread