Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2014, 10:47   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!
Three cruisers I know use Engels and are very happy with them. I've been aboard one of those boats for more than two weeks and it was adequate for 3 crew.
Old 24-09-2014, 10:54   #17

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
I want to replace the ice box. I have never seen anyone try and put a full size frig and freezer in, but are there any really good combinations of freezer and frig for a sailboat to take the place of the box? Also an approx list of stores for 3 month cruise. I have no idea of staples and amount of drinking water needed for two people. I have to start to adapt to a new way of cooking and storing food.
ALL info is very appreciated.
BTDT and I've come to the conclusion that sailorchic34 has the most sensible idea. You can buy a dorm fridge/freezer at walmart for $50 to $150 depending on size and a small inverter for under $50 and you are done. No big installation costs or hassle. The only problem is finding a place to put it. Use the existing icebox to store pots/pans/food/water jugs.

Food and water depends on where you are going. If you stay in the USA (where are you now?) two weeks worth is probably enough as you will nearly always have plenty of marinas and stores nearby. Where do you plan on going?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 13:10   #18

Boat: Freedom 32'
Smile Re: YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
Welcome! We stopped in Branford a couple of years ago on our way home to RI. Nice harbor, nice town. Is your new boat up here or in Marathon? Do you plan to go between the two?
She's up in Branford and I'll put her in the water late June, viste some friends and family at Far Rockaway and in Sept. head down to Marathon. I love this forum and all the folks on it, such support!!! Awesome.
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 13:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
BTDT and I've come to the conclusion that sailorchic34 has the most sensible idea. You can buy a dorm fridge/freezer at walmart for $50 to $150 depending on size and a small inverter for under $50 and you are done. No big installation costs or hassle. The only problem is finding a place to put it. Use the existing icebox to store pots/pans/food/water jugs.

Food and water depends on where you are going. If you stay in the USA (where are you now?) two weeks worth is probably enough as you will nearly always have plenty of marinas and stores nearby. Where do you plan on going?
:

I think that's a great idea too. I'm in Midland, Tx right now til june of 2015. I have a lot of repairs and fixing before I go anywhere. Right now I'm just dreaming of everything I want to do!
Old 24-09-2014, 13:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Congratulations on all counts then. Well done and Bravo!

Coops.
Thanks for the support and kind words. When someone told me I was delusional, I almost fell off my broomstick! haha
Old 24-09-2014, 13:45   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
Just bought my first and probably last boat. Seeing that I'm 71! A Bristol 30' I'm out of mind with joy!
I don't know what thread to put this on, but I have a lot of questions. I shall do a few at a time so as not to bore everyone.
I want to replace the ice box. I have never seen anyone try and put a full size frig and freezer in, but are there any really good combinations of freezer and frig for a sailboat to take the place of the box? Also an approx list of stores for 3 month cruise. I have no idea of staples and amount of drinking water needed for two people. I have to start to adapt to a new way of cooking and storing food.
ALL info is very appreciated.
Congrats on the boat! While I have a freezer/refrigerator and leave it on all the time (on a mooring powered for solar), you may just want to go the ice route for a while till you really know you have a need. Otherwise a small portable Engel is a good mid way answer to a permanently installed system (all of these probably cost quite a few years worth of bagged ice).
Old 24-09-2014, 14:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Congrats on the boat! While I have a freezer/refrigerator and leave it on all the time (on a mooring powered for solar), you may just want to go the ice route for a while till you really know you have a need. Otherwise a small portable Engel is a good mid way answer to a permanently installed system (all of these probably cost quite a few years worth of bagged ice).
I'm so grateful for everyone's input. I do think I will purchase the Engle. I will just sit with the boat and think about everything for 6 months to a year and find out what I really want. I've learned thru time that if I rush into things. I'm sorry later because my thoughts have changed. So I'll be good and patient!
Old 25-09-2014, 15:53   #23

Friend of mine living on the hook on a 28ft morgan bought an engle after his 25 year old adler barbour died. Really liked it and said it used half the power his adler used. Only problem is that, just like the dorm fridge, you need to find space for it.
Old 25-09-2014, 16:16   #24

Quote:
Friend of mine living on the hook on a 28ft morgan bought an engle after his 25 year old adler barbour died. Really liked it and said it used half the power his adler used. Only problem is that, just like the dorm fridge, you need to find space for it.
Thanks for the info, I'll know better in the spring when I go up to Ct. and put her in the water.
Old 25-09-2014, 16:45   #25

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Congrats on your Bristol 30! great boats, I had one for 13 years and lived aboard full time for nearly half of that time. There isn't really room for a dorm fridge onboard. I cannot give advice on refrigeration as I have never had it on my boats, but I have seen a complete refrigeration unit designed to be bolted into an existing icebox that would probably work for you. Do check the insulation in the icebox though, my Bristol (1973 edition)only had some styrofoam planks stuck to the outside of the fiberglass icebox shell and was pretty much worthless for keeping ice more than a day or two.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 16:56   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

YIPPPEEEE Indeed!

Ya got a good 'un girl! Congrats!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 09:09   #27

Boat: Mason 44

Congratulations on your Adventure!

I had some problem with the boat's refrigeration so a quick fix was to get a freezer cum fridge unit. The draw was so small.

Products - Dometic

I usually keep everything chilled at -8c and remove one board separator.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 09:14   #28
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
the engel drop in model is worth investigating IMHO ... if it fits in place of the old ice box then problem solved ... and it really looks nice with the stainless steel.
Old 26-09-2014, 10:17   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoh88 View Post
Congratulations on your Adventure!

I had some problem with the boat's refrigeration so a quick fix was to get a freezer cum fridge unit. The draw was so small.

Products - Dometic

I usually keep everything chilled at -8c and remove one board separator.
Thanks for the congrats and sharing your info. Very excited about my new adventure. I like quick fixes that work! Looking at a couple of options.
Old 26-09-2014, 13:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
the engel drop in model is worth investigating IMHO ... if it fits in place of the old ice box then problem solved ... and it really looks nice with the stainless steel.
He didn't get the drop in model - they weren't available then. He bought the standalone cooler style. Used the fridge box to store pots, pans, and canned goods. Being even cheaper than me I'm surprised he didn't get a dorm fridge. Maybe it never occurred to him.

Speaking of dorm fridges, I was at Sams Club today and saw one marketed by Igloo. It is mostly fridge with a small freezer, maybe 10"x10"x5". The whole unit is 18" wide, 20" deep, 32" high and weighs 50lbs. Capacity is given as 3.2 cf. It claims to draw 8 tenths of an amp at 115 volts, so figure 92 watts. If you assume it draws twice that much at startup, then a 200 watt inverter should handle it. Price is $99.