Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 09:03   #16

Re: Next Job Resume: How do I best document my year cruising to a future employer?

I lived the life of a pirate for one year! Short and sweet!

In all seriousness you received good advice above, all the best.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 09:51   #17

Boat: Seaward 25
Re: Next Job Resume: How do I best document my year cruising to a future employer?

Interesting how my page is now filled with resume ads.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 10:55   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
Interesting how my page is now filled with resume ads.
Me also. I guess something said resume? I'm 72 but figured I'd what a year or two to write one.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 11:01   #19

Self employed as a yacht manager and Captain.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 11:18   #20

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I took a little over a year off to go cruising back in 1997. I described it as a sabbatical.

I would not try to describe how boat maintenance translates to marketable skills. It sounds like a stretch.

One thing in your favor you may not have thought of, the year cruising shows ambition and self-reliance. A perceptive employer will pick up on that by themselves. Once you get in the interview you can address those qualities. But on the resume, I would just say one year sabbatical traveling Mexico and the US with family by sailboat and RV.

Best of luck!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 11:40   #21

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I would just say one year sabbatical traveling Mexico and the US with family by sailboat and RV.
I like that. Perfect response in my opinion.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 12:24   #22

Boat: no boat, I'm a "landlocked" navigator

Hard to say, as a whole lot might depend on the nature/make-up of the first screening individual. I would think that the KISS Principle might well apply, the Kiss Principle being, Keep It Simple Stupid, no offense intended.
alan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 12:46   #23

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Agree that you should just put a short statement about your sailing/RV sabbatical with family. Trying to puff it up into job-related skills just casts doubt on your other stated experiences. Emphasize the skills and experience that you have that are relevant, understandable, and provable. Then if you get an interview, when asked about the sabbatical you can comment about how surprisingly demanding the maintenance and operation of a cruising boat (& RV??) is.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 12:57   #24

I disagree with leaving it as a sabbatical. You did a good job just trim it down a bit. Sabbatical by itself would have the same connotation as leaving it blank. What was it? Drug rehab. JMHO
Old 15-10-2015, 13:30   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

My Resume says something like:
Adventure Sabbatical
Plan, design, upgrade, install, and test sailboat rigging, steering, structural components, electronics, communications, power and safety systems. Planning, navigating, and cruising.
Old 15-10-2015, 13:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
My Resume says something like:
Adventure Sabbatical
Plan, design, upgrade, install, and test sailboat rigging, steering, structural components, electronics, communications, power and safety systems. Planning, navigating, and cruising.
I doubt you would get hired?
Old 15-10-2015, 15:08   #27

Boat: Nimble Kodiak; 26'

As a retired HR professional, I suggest you think about your resume strategy. Focus (and specify) on how you can add value to the organization. How you can save the organization money, optimize efficient use of resources, make the process more efficient---and effective, etc. To do that you need to understand the employer's business model and process, the problems they encounter and present yourself as someone that can either help solve problems, or mitigate difficulties. People tend to get hired if the employer likes you, believes you are a great fit for the organization's culture, and believes you bring value. Technical shortcomings are (usually) just training issues. Emphasize that you are team player, not a cowboy, and although you may be perceived as an off the grid non-conformist, you learned to think outside the box, to be creative with limited resources, are self reliant and responsible. Best of luck!!
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 15:12   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8kraft View Post
The job I'm applying for is what I did while on active duty, just now as a civilian. It's fixing electronic weapon systems. So some cruising stuff like maintenance planning and corrective maintenance applies directly. Thanks for the input everyone.
Hopefully, you loaded up your resume with info on the stuff you worked on that is similar to what they maintain.

They probably won't care that you maintained a boat (without weapons systems) because they probably have 40 other resumes where those folks maintained the weapons systems this job requires.

The guy reading the resumes may flip through them like you flip through an old newspaper you don't necessarily want to read. You have to put something on page one he wants to see.

Everyone is going to put performs preventive and corrective etc.

Good luck with the Federal Job. Try a DOD Contractor instead looking to hire in your area of expertise........Fire Control Tech? (FC)

http://www.navydads.com/forum/topics...ource=activity
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 15:23   #29

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I took a little over a year off to go cruising back in 1997. I described it as a sabbatical.

I would not try to describe how boat maintenance translates to marketable skills. It sounds like a stretch.

One thing in your favor you may not have thought of, the year cruising shows ambition and self-reliance. A perceptive employer will pick up on that by themselves. Once you get in the interview you can address those qualities. But on the resume, I would just say one year sabbatical traveling Mexico and the US with family by sailboat and RV.

Best of luck!

Steve
Yes, I agree with this.

I've reviewed many hundreds of resumes and the first version with all the "transferable skills" reads a bit like a high school student with no job experience trying to fluff things up.

However, if you just say "sabbatical," it sounds a bit like you're trying to whitewash an unemployed period.

If you just add a tiny bit more detail: "one year sabbatical traveling Mexico and the US with family by sailboat and RV" then you have a conversation starter and it's obvious you didn't spend the time eating Cheetos on the couch and smoking weed with your buddies.

If you're actually qualified for the job, this bit of detail will make you stand out and make it more likely that you'll pass the all important airport test (would I want to be stuck with this guy at an airport for 6 hours on a business trip).
Old 15-10-2015, 15:27   #30

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Yes, I agree with this.

I've reviewed many hundreds of resumes and the first version with all the "transferable skills" reads a bit like a high school student with no job experience trying to fluff things up.

However, if you just say "sabbatical," it sounds a bit like you're trying to whitewash an unemployed period.

If you just add a tiny bit more detail: "one year sabbatical traveling Mexico and the US with family by sailboat and RV" then you have a conversation starter and it's obvious you didn't spend the time eating Cheetos on the couch and smoking weed with your buddies.

If you're actually qualified for the job, this bit of detail will make you stand out and make it more likely that you'll pass the all important airport test (would I want to be stuck with this guy at an airport for 6 hours on a business trip).
Or it would show that he could take the job or leave it.......when he is most need and go on another "sabbatical" to Mexico to buy more "weed" to enjoy his cruising better

But if he were a guy that ate Cheetos and smoked weed but wanted to work to buy more weed and Cheetos this may be a better conversation starter

Plus, he might also need a new couch
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men