Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03   #1

Boat: 12' Kayak, my own design and build.
Hi All! Future Live Aboard,Next Year Or So...

To save a long story, I had a severe leg injury couple years back. Going to be on disability. I have always loved to sail, and have no delusions about cost, or camping, or my abilities on the water. However! My back dis, will buy the boat, and I am very aware of costs and shopping wisely. But, only that for now. I have a LOT of figuring to do! My mo. income, will be crap. I will be totally new to live aboard, with a small dog. I know to check engines,decks for soft spots etc... always a fine trim carpenter.I do good glass work, and build strip kayaks. I plan on buying in Great Lakes, and going down eastern seaboard. I'm looking at cheap 27 footers. (no illusions about fitting out, but prefer trailerable). I will be searching to join clubs or marinas, primarily Eastern seaboard U.S.A. for best, (i.e.cheapest) accomodations for slips, mooring etc. I need A LOT of guides. I wish I could do it NOW, and refit as I would like, but looks like, I'll need to move on board, and head south as weather and time constraints allow. Within 2 years. Blue skies, Fair winds!
Old salt Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:20   #2

Re: Hi All! Future Live Aboard,Next Year Or So...

Yes, I am aware, I am NOT what many would consider, "an able bodied seaman". As I said, I have no illussions about my abilities. But I can dam sure crawl around a 30 ft. apt. or a 30 ft. leaning deck! I also skydive with people missing limbs, that compete at a national level! and swim like a fish. I also absail, and do whitewater. So before you chime in, "you can't" do this......don't.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:33   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old salt Eric View Post
Yes, I am aware, I am NOT what many would consider, "an able bodied seaman". As I said, I have no illussions about my abilities. But I can dam sure crawl around a 30 ft. apt. or a 30 ft. leaning deck! I also skydive with people missing limbs, that compete at a national level! and swim like a fish. I also absail, and do whitewater. So before you chime in, "you can't" do this......don't.
Eric -
You could consider a multihull. I've got two artificial knees and so much metal in other parts that I can set off airport detectors by just thinking about flying somewhere lol.
New and newish cats/tris are way out of my budget, but older stuff is out there, just a matter of finding one in good shape.
You may be partial to monohulls, but not heeling makes life easier for us gimpy types.
Good luck.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:39   #4

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Don't dare listen to the naysayers friend! Give life all you can, be sensible and know your limits, research all you can and by all means, ask anything you need advice on in this forum because there are a great many sensible, experienced, knowledgeable, helpful and good people that will not only encourage you but will go a lot further than simply offer you armchair advice. I have seen how people here have reached out practically and gone the "extra mile" to help fellow sailors along their way (dead or alive).

You only have one life ... LIVE IT! Sailing and living aboard is as frugal, expensive, exciting, daring, boring, mundane and much more, than you could ever wish to find. May your disability find you the happiness we all so richly search for in sailing and living aboard.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 08:49   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Go for it! Though it sounds like I don't need to say that . Look into the Great Lakes Loop too Books and Maps about Cruising America's Great Loop - Raven Cove Publishing
Check out the Albin Vegas, they are small but very well built,cheap, and perfect for a singlehander with small dog. I think the narrower vessels work good for folks who have some movement limitations, always something to hang onto, though getting around the shrouds can be a pain. So cape dorys, albergs, tritons. I'm listing older boats due to your budget. But having said that, I agree with the catamaran idea too because it is less cramped ( more than one way to skin a cat) but finding a cheap cat is hard.

Living aboard can be very reasonable, the gulf coast is the cheapest place to live aboard in the coastal states( IMHO), Mexico is a great place to live cheaply, also i hear good things coming out of the Dominican Republic.

Sorry about your leg, but it sounds like you are making lemons into lemonade
Good luck and have fun on your adventure
Erika
Old 07-09-2013, 21:57   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I don't think anyone will tell you not to pursue your dream. Hang in there.
kind regards,
Old 15-03-2014, 17:47   #7

Thank you all for the encouragement! I have learned quite a bit, is learning about surveying, many different types of boats etc. Since I joined, I have done a LOT of helpful reading, and forgot my PW. LOL. Now, this site is so complicated, it is hardly user friendly at all! And sailing is not that d### complicated! I am not looking for gadgets and advise as much, as a USER friendly environment! When I do this, it is ALL IN life change....not for week ends,and sailboats are not as complicated as this sites navigation! I don't intend to spend my days plugged in at the favorite slip, nor to see how fast I can be with a rude upitty crowd on the week ends! Navigating the world is easier than the website! But the reason for the post, is to say thanks for all the useful information.
Old 15-03-2014, 17:50   #8

Quote:
Thank you all for the encouragement! I have learned quite a bit, is learning about surveying, many different types of boats etc. Since I joined, I have done a LOT of helpful reading, and forgot my PW. LOL. Now, this site is so complicated, it is hardly user friendly at all! And sailing is not that d### complicated! I am not looking for gadgets and advise as much, as a USER friendly environment! When I do this, it is ALL IN life change....not for week ends,and sailboats are not as complicated as this sites navigation! I don't intend to spend my days plugged in at the favorite slip, nor to see how fast I can be with a rude upitty crowd on the week ends! Navigating the world is easier than the website! But the reason for the post, is to say thanks for all the useful information.
"What is normal to the spider, is chaos to the fly"
Old 15-03-2014, 17:54   #9

I like monos, but yes I love cats as well, budget will tell, and I have "dumped a couple hobbie cats just for fun....:-)
Old 15-03-2014, 18:03   #10

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I have been broken and knitted back together a few times. One word of caution.

Get off the boat everyday and walk. Advice I need to take.

I get caught up in my projects and don't go top sides some days. Those old injuries come home then.