Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 16:12   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Name Ideas For New Sailing Life Channel...

But no prize.
Old 18-12-2011, 16:20   #17
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Maybe? That means NO. No prize? I'm not playing. What sort of budget do you have.
Still working on that. There will be a plan A, B, and C. 100% my money/sponsors then hope for dist., low budget based on raising limited funds, and a full blown wish list. Either way it will be a lot cheaper than flying people around to each location to film content, even if you just fly the host and hire local crews. Plus you get the reality show aspect and BTS of the crew traveling around and the confinement aspect of spending a good portion of 8 months together on a boat. I hate frickin reality tv, and swore I'd never do it, but I can't deny that it's popular right now, cheap to make and since we'll already be there, why not. Kind of like. It Big Brother on a boat, but much more interesting, don't you think?
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:25   #18

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

"Bali Hai is Calling", from the song from South Pacific. It's free, no prize needed.
Old 18-12-2011, 16:25   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil View Post
No I hear ya. I owned an ad agency called Enter360 Media for 9 years, but sold my client portfolio in early 2008. In that capacity I worked on commercials, TV shows, corporate and web video. Since 2008 I've been working on movies. As a CEO and Creative Director, I also understand business, am quite skilled with project management, am a pretty accomplished creative and coming from an ad agency, understand that critical component to TV and movies and perhaps even more importantly...demographics.

I've been a professional photographer for over 20 years as well and have had hundreds maybe thousands of images published in magazines, catalogs, web sites and some newspapers.

I had already worked with video cameras on numerous occassions, but in 2008 I bought all of the pro equipment I needed to make my own movies and worked full time training and using it, and finally went to New York Film Academy in LA to take acting, because I was told it would make me a better director, which it did. It's easier now to understand what the talent needs and how to communicate with and guide them to get the best performance possible, and sometimes that means just letting them do their thing and shutting up.

I've worked on over 27 projects (lost count) since March 2011. I'm also a published writer and have a well developed TV show that's circulating and I hope will be picked up and have 6 feature screenplays dating back to 2002 that I plan to develop and shoot when I have time and money. Because I've been a photographer for so long, I understand composition, lighting and how to tell a story in one image. Cinematography is easy compared to that aside from learning some tricks, technique and some basic rules that effect editing. When I write, I can see the camera angles, lighting, which lens I would need, dolly shots, steadicams, drill rigs, cranes. It's all right there in my head as I write. I also understand the Hollywood formula for movies, and the formula for tv. It's a lot more structured than most people outside the industry realize, and if things don't follow it, good luck selling your finished product.

Lastly, I edit. I'm not as good as those who do it full time, but I've done complete TV episodes, so when I write or shoot, I can also visualize where the cuts will be, and what shots need to be there to tie everything together - technically, visually and to drive the story. I probably won't do the siting for the shows myself, other than maybe some webisodes and behind the scenes footage for the website/blog, but it is an advantage in that it will help ensure the editor has what he needs and help me communicate what I want in the finished product, with an understanding of the limitations and costs involved and also, the possibilities that can be done in post.

So....there's a huge difference between myself and someone sailing around with Handycams editing their footage on iMovie. No disrespect to them...if they are on TV that's already a huge accomplishment. But again, without blowing my own horn too much, my product will be much different.
love to see people with energy,but you might want to consider the environment you plan on placing yourself in.

equipping and skippering a boat to cross an ocean is no mean feat,even for experinced people.
let alone using it as a platform for a venture such as you propose.
as stated you are a budding film producer,why take on the added responsability of becoming a budding skipper,crew on other peoples yachts first!
cross some oceans with people who know what they are doing,then get your own boat,after having built up a portfolio of footage on passage.
track record is every thing,you may be lucky but do your reasearch before jumping off on a voyage .
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:44   #20

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Hmmm, four shows about sailing...... an umbrella name.......

What about Four Winds? ---The Four Winds Channel---.

The individual shows could be four names associated with wind.

Don't know how I thought of that.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:45   #21
Marine Service Provider

I'm looking for people with sailing/and or offshore experience that also have sailing experience, have 2 months to sail on my own boat before leaving, and private training ON OUR BOAT lined up for the entire crew.

If I listened to all the negative people in my life who told me NOT to do things, I wouldn't accomplished 90% of the things I have. But I can take it so say what you want.
Old 18-12-2011, 16:48   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Hmmm, four shows about sailing...... an umbrella name.......

What about Four Winds? ---The Four Winds Channel---.

The individual shows could be four names associated with wind.

Don't know how I thought of that.
sorry coulnt resist

passing wind

breaking wind

following wind

about to whinge..........
Old 18-12-2011, 16:49   #23
Marine Service Provider

Oh and just to be clear, I don't have to be captain of my own boat. It doesn't even have to be my boat, but it hasn't been an option so far and there are challenges with also.
Old 18-12-2011, 16:50   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
sorry coulnt resist

passing wind

breaking wind

following wind

about to whinge..........
Haha! Awesome!
Old 18-12-2011, 17:01   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

great lesson #1 delegate all responsability if possable
Old 18-12-2011, 17:11   #26
Marine Service Provider

Ok. Not sure if that is sarchasm or not...
Old 18-12-2011, 17:39   #27

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I think I threw that pitch underhand. too easy.

I'm a bit gassy most days, so I guess I'll keep the name.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:11   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

reply to post #23 in jest,sorry the gist was.
great!!! if you can sail with a competent skipper,
second the less you have to do with running the vessel the better,ie delegate as much as you can,this gets people involved and makes them feel part of the project.
sorry smiley was supposed to be at the end.......one finger typing an allll ....
Old 18-12-2011, 18:41   #29
Marine Service Provider

Four Winds: I like the idea.

Atoll. Thanks for clarifying. Having the film crew also crew the boat was always part of the plan. And yes, I'm only as good as my team, and it would be impossible to do everything myself. Being able to delegate is the key to everything. I'm not sure if it's possible to lead a team by delegating ALL responsibility, but for sure for one has to delegate a lot.
Old 18-12-2011, 18:57   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

keep the posative vibe,keep every one involved,keep focused,then sail 3400 miles thats where the fun really starts!!!!!

if you are all still friends at the end of it,
which is only the begining of a pacific cruise,
since there is another 3000 miles till culmination you have truly found the elixer of life............in jest but not with out sarcasm....enjoy

Tags
sailing