Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:59   #826

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I was talking about the markets in the early 2000's...remember? The OP, I believe, was looking for something a little more tangible. Perhaps he can chime back in with an opinion.
If by more tangible you mean less lucrative and more work, I do have one suggestion.

I found it very difficult to get someone to do touch up painting on Delfin's catalyzed LP finish. I taught myself how to do it with an airbrush, Dremel, and vinylester putty and it wasn't that difficult. I would be willing to bet that if I were to row around to larger vessels in any harbor and volunteer that service, I would get as much work as I wanted.

I think I posted on CF someplace the exact technique I use, which produces a repair that is virtually invisible - on light colored surfaces. Patching dark paint is something I have no experience with.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:33   #827

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
If by more tangible you mean less lucrative and more work, I do have one suggestion.

I found it very difficult to get someone to do touch up painting on Delfin's catalyzed LP finish. I taught myself how to do it with an airbrush, Dremel, and vinylester putty and it wasn't that difficult. I would be willing to bet that if I were to row around to larger vessels in any harbor and volunteer that service, I would get as much work as I wanted.

I think I posted on CF someplace the exact technique I use, which produces a repair that is virtually invisible - on light colored surfaces. Patching dark paint is something I have no experience with.
That's interesting Delfin...I was doing gelcoat repair a few weeks back. After doing it in the past, many times, I have a nak for color matching. Many people became interesed and I could see that panning out here. But..one should remain low key when visiting another country.
I would be interested in reading that thread. Do you have a link?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:06   #828

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
I was talking about the markets in the early 2000's...remember? The OP, I believe, was looking for something a little more tangible. Perhaps he can chime back in with an opinion.
Do you have a link to that discussion?

From all the ideas I've read on this thread, the market seems the most viable. I wouldn't be in competition with the locals. I wouldn't be exchanging favours with other cruisers and it's 100% legal everywhere.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:24   #829

Boat: Still Searching

Quote:

To be fair... The strategies being discussed here are performed in a manner that they are not vulnerable to events like the early 2000s or 2008-2009. That's kind of the whole point.

Anyway, I do agree that this topic has the potential to dominate this thread and disrupt its purpose. If someone else with interest in trading wants to start I new thread focused on that topic alone, provide a link and I'd be happy to participate when I have time.

If you do that, let's please focus the discussion on actual techniques and strategies. I'd be happy to provide a proper risk analysis for any particular strategy or system that someone finds or creates, but beyond that there is really no point to a 50 page debate on system that already has a thread devoted to it.
Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:48   #830

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certeza View Post
To be fair... The strategies being discussed here are performed in a manner that they are not vulnerable to events like the early 2000s or 2008-2009. That's kind of the whole point.

Anyway, I do agree that this topic has the potential to dominate this thread and disrupt its purpose. If someone else with interest in trading wants to start I new thread focused on that topic alone, provide a link and I'd be happy to participate when I have time.

If you do that, let's please focus the discussion on actual techniques and strategies. I'd be happy to provide a proper risk analysis for any particular strategy or system that someone finds or creates, but beyond that there is really no point to a 50 page debate on system that already has a thread devoted to it.
If it dominates this discussion, doesn't that prove its viability?

Again, what this thread seems to be about is making money while you cruise. To be honest I don't see a difference in investing or shorting soybeans and setting up a service to scrub the bottom of boats. Both have the potential to make you money while you are cruising. The difference is in perception.

A local who could feed his family on what I would consider beer money would be a little PO'ed if I took that money away from him. That makes a bad time for everyone.

If, however, I wake up that morning and my entrance says this is a great day to buy cattle or sell sugar, that hurts no one locally.

Yes, I know I need an internet connection but I don't think I would be trading every fluctuation. Also, I would close out my markets when I'm moving around and don't have a network connection. It doesn't seem to matter when you get in, it only matters when you get out.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:40   #831

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
If it dominates this discussion, doesn't that prove its viability?

Again, what this thread seems to be about is making money while you cruise. To be honest I don't see a difference in investing or shorting soybeans and setting up a service to scrub the bottom of boats. Both have the potential to make you money while you are cruising. The difference is in perception.

A local who could feed his family on what I would consider beer money would be a little PO'ed if I took that money away from him. That makes a bad time for everyone.

If, however, I wake up that morning and my entrance says this is a great day to buy cattle or sell sugar, that hurts no one locally.

Yes, I know I need an internet connection but I don't think I would be trading every fluctuation. Also, I would close out my markets when I'm moving around and don't have a network connection. It doesn't seem to matter when you get in, it only matters when you get out.
Fair point. I guess what I was thinking was that this thread seemed to be more of a list of ways to make money, rather than an in depth "how-to". The MRCI system already has it's own thread for how to, and if we were to further discuss risk analytics and expectancy, that should probably have it's own thread as well, because it will likely get a bit lengthy. But I don't make the rules and I'm not a moderator, so whatever.
Old 01-04-2014, 18:23   #832

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!

Hello everybody, if you have read my previous posts about teaching English while you cruise here is an extremely important update...

Previously, I had affirmed that teaching English requires a long commitment to a given place, due to the time it takes to find enough new students to make a decent living. Well I was wrong! Completely off course! Full of BS (as usual)!

So here is the good news:
  1. You need to have a simple site in English offering your services as an English teacher giving individual conversation classes via Skype and in-company (you can include the Google translate widget so no need to pay somebody to translate everything into the local lingo).
  2. No need to have a teaching qualification (you will be self employed), just a working knowledge of English grammar. Steer well clear of the ESL Schools.
  3. Now, here is the "secret" use Google Adwords to find your students. It is really easy to set up, not expensive, highly cost effective and they have great support by telephone to make everything incredibly simple.
  4. No I don't work for Google, but if they want to donate my next boat in return for this free marketing it will be gratefully accepted.
So this is not just a crazy idea that works on paper, I started using Adwords and I kid you not, within two weeks am making a very nice living and at the present rate can even save nearly US$ 1,000 per month with more potential clients calling every day.

Cheers and boa sorte

P.S. Yeah Sherlock, choose a relatively large city cos it won't work at a paradisaical island fishing community...
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 19:21   #833

Hello Everybody,

I forgot to mention that one of my new students is married to a politician and I have sent her a couple of copies of one of my educational books.

Who knows, maybe a govt. contract???

But, cash up front cos I don't trust political promises...

OMG, hope she doesn't see this post!!!

Cheers

P.S. I would rather have a soggy bottom and empty wallet than a full wallet and a dry butt.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:35   #834

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

"Let's assume that you found a program with average 14% returns and 4% risk. So you decide to do your idea of using only $40K and leveraging it 25 times to get to 350% returns and 100% risk. Unfortunately for your plan, the capital requirements in most programs are going to be such that it isn't possible to leverage 25 times in the small account."

100% RISK????

Racers go fast even at the risk of sinking their boat. Cruisers protect the boat at the cost of going slower. I'm a Cruiser, with the boat and money.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:59   #835

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
"Let's assume that you found a program with average 14% returns and 4% risk. So you decide to do your idea of using only $40K and leveraging it 25 times to get to 350% returns and 100% risk. Unfortunately for your plan, the capital requirements in most programs are going to be such that it isn't possible to leverage 25 times in the small account."

100% RISK????

Racers go fast even at the risk of sinking their boat. Cruisers protect the boat at the cost of going slower. I'm a Cruiser, with the boat and money.

That's been my argument through the whole discussion. 100% risk should not be acceptable or necessary.

My rule of thumb is that a good investment will generate average annual returns at least 2 times the max allowable drawdown. Preferably it'll be closer to 3X. Thus, if a system has a max allowable drawdown of $10,000 at any given point, it should at least on average generate $20,000 in returns each year.
Old 02-04-2014, 19:49   #836

Boat: CT-41

I kinda agree with the prior post to take "it" to a thread of its own on some of these ideas so as not to dominate the thread.

Some level of discussion on a specific idea is good to consider if the idea would work for any of us, but when it comes to in depth details as to how to go about a particular scheme, starting a thread dedicated to that scheme would be very good. As an example; ideas like stock trading are only of interest to a certain mind set but boring as frog snot to me. In the same respect, if I were to go on about something like how to create stained glass LED cabin lights, something I can do, that would bore the snot out of stock traders.

So, how about when it gets to the details of how to do it, start another thread and link that thread in your post after the first few exchanges?

Many good ideas. Different people can do different ones and each viable one deserves it's own in depth discussion.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 20:23   #837
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Well, just read this whole thread. One of the more spectacular hijacks I've ever seen- as in your normal cruiser is not going to trade like that- and does not have the funds either, but interesting reading nevertheless. You Geeks really go at it!
I wish the guy that is on a boat and full time IT would give us an update.
Now my idea: Sh$t. (a little background) On one of my first cruises- I had 11 family and friends aboard. The head stopped. We quickly duck into Friday Harbor and I call the local boatwright. He comes over in his little tender with outboard and all his tools. Comes on board and takes one look, then turns to me and says: "I charge 60 an hour for typical work, but if I have to touch sh$t I charge 125 an hour and people are glad to pay it!" Guess who got his boat bucks that afternoon? Plumbing is not hard, and though you won't be charging those rates, I bet you will make money.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 20:41   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Plumbing is not hard, and though you won't be charging those rates, I bet you will make money.
Wait a minute. You read the entire thread on ideas of how to make money while cruising and your contribution is offering to work on boats?? Thanks for the refreshing new idea.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 05:39   #839

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Wait a minute. You read the entire thread on ideas of how to make money while cruising and your contribution is offering to work on boats?? Thanks for the refreshing new idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Exactly, what is the probability of arriving at your destination and finding enough yachts with plumbing problems (or seized engines, etc.) to pay for the next leg of your trip??? Even assuming they will pay the extra bucks for you to fix (sh)it.

Must confess I'm very surprised by the complete lack of interest in my posts about teaching English while you travel. It's easy to find students that will pay about 18 US$ an hour just to practice their English conversation via Skype. So whenever you have relatively cheap Internet access you can make money. I know US$ 18 isn't much, but if you are trying to live on US$ 500 a month while you cruise that is only about 30 hours work a month.

That leaves you plenty of time to fix seized engines, blocked toilets, not to mention selling fish to fishermen, rape counseling, cutting the hair of long lines of disheveled sailors waiting with beer in hand on the beach, and all the other impractical suggestions Ive seen on this forum (including my very own fail of having a printing press to print and sell books while on the go).

__________________________________________________ ____________
"Don't count what you have, because it's what you don't have that makes the difference.
Old 18-04-2014, 05:48   #840
CLOD

Boat: none

blog writer, for other peoples blogs so they sound interesting and can get followers

Commission based pay only, lets say 20%. But 30% if you take photos of other people that look better than us and post them also.

Tags
paracelle