Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 13:40   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Instructor Certifications and Jobs in Caribbean

Hello Sailors. I have lurked on the site for quite awhile and finally decided to join you.

I am 31M, I have a Yachmaster Offshore w/Commercial Endorsement and I am in the process of heading to FL to purchase a liveaboard.

I have been researching my options regarding cruising instructor opportunities. But there is so much information/misinformation that I would appreciate any advice or direction.

I am debating between the ASA, US Sailing, and RYA instructor certifications. I am looking to use an instructor certification to provide occasional work opportunities while sailing in Florida and the Caribbean. What are my best options? Where should I start?

Any thoughts, advice, or direction that you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Yogiyo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 14:11   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Instructor Certifications and Jobs in Caribbean

I have worked as a charter captain and instructor in Florida and the Carib.

I'm an ASA Instructor Evaluator (IE), been an instructor for 20 years, and have run ASA schools in the past in the USA and Carib. Be happy to accurately answer any ASA instructor related questions for you. ASA has detailed info on their web site too.

What specifically do you want to know?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 14:16   #3

Re which are your "best" options...what are your criteria to define "best"?

All have good curriculum. ASA has by far the largest number of affiliated schools in the USA and Carib...potentially offering more venues for teaching.
Old 12-01-2015, 14:26   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Re which are your "best" options...what are your criteria to define "best"?

All have good curriculum. ASA has by far the largest number of affiliated schools in the USA and Carib...potentially offering more venues for teaching.
really, I always thought there was a lot of RYA schools there.
Old 12-01-2015, 15:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
really, I always thought there was a lot of RYA schools there.
There are, but a ton of ASA schools in the USA quite a few around the Carib.

Another consideration is there is nothing to prevent an instructor from being certified by both.
Old 12-01-2015, 15:06   #6

Boat: Traditional 30

I know the RYA is recognized pretty much world wide. Someone else may be able to answer if the others are.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 15:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There are, but a ton of ASA schools in the USA quite a few around the Carib.
Specifically, there are 27 ASA schools in the Carib (including Belize) and 2 in Mexico. Plus another 40 in Florida.

Don't know precisely how many RYA schools in the Carib.
Old 12-01-2015, 15:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I know the RYA is recognized pretty much world wide. Someone else may be able to answer if the others are.
ASA too for recreational level training (RYA issues commercial & recreational certifications). There are about 80 ASA schools outside the USA. You can have an ICC (International Certificate of Compemtence) issued via ASA which is recognized world wide. A few recent threads here where folks have used their ASA certs (not even an ICC) to meet international requirements.

(Been a while since I looked at the full ASA school list, there are now a surprising number of schools in China).
Old 12-01-2015, 18:52   #9

Boat: Pearson 323

Thanks for your replies. After reading them, I think that the ASA seems like the best place for me to start.

A number of the schools I researched in FL and the Caribbean had ASA certified instructors so it seems that there is a need for ASA instructors.

Anyone have recent knowledge about the current job market in FL and the Carib for new instructors?
Yogiyo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 19:54   #10

There are job postings on the ASA web site. Just looked at it and there are a few very recent postings in various Carib locations.

http://www.asa.com/instructor-schools-seeking.html

Much of it is word of mouth though.

I recently certified two new instructors in Belize. They are both working as charter captains/instructors...a good combination if you want to stay busy. They are way busier than I want to be. These jobs, like many, were not posted on the ASA web site. I've run a couple of schools, assisted with running several others, and only once needed to resort to actually posting a job listing. The official postings are just the tip of the iceberg.

Your next step is to sign up for an IQC (Instructor Qualification Clinic). Schedule is on the ASA web site. Haven't looked, but likely you can find an IQC in Florida. Schools host IQCs to build up their local certified instructor base. If they are hosting an IQC then they likely need, or will need, instructors so look for an IQC where you want to teach and get to know the school in the process. Once you complete an IQC, start contacting schools in venues where you want to teach. It is common for ASA, and ASA schools, to have booths at boat shows...drop by and chat with them.

PM me your email address and I will send you a document I send to instructor candidates on how to prepare for an IQC.
Old 13-01-2015, 04:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Yogiyo42.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 19:51   #12
TFR

Boat: Tartan 41

Hi Belizesailor - If you have USCG Master license and own 40' sailboat is it possible to charter a boat or do you need additional certifications?
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 09:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFR View Post
Hi Belizesailor - If you have USCG Master license and own 40' sailboat is it possible to charter a boat or do you need additional certifications?
Highly likely that the USCG ticket + experience is sufficient, but ultimately depends on charter company and venue.
Old 16-01-2015, 13:22   #14
Marine Service Provider

That all sounds like good advice. I would add that you will be way more marketable in Florida and the Caribbean if you get your Bareboat Cruising (ASA 204) Cruising Catamaran ( ASA 214) certification.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 17:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
That all sounds like good advice. I would add that you will be way more marketable in Florida and the Caribbean if you get your Bareboat Cruising (ASA 204) Cruising Catamaran ( ASA 214) certification.
Yes, student level 104 and 114 are very popular. You of course need the prereq certs too (201, 203).

The core student classes which are most frequently delivered are 101, 103, 104, 114.

Less so are 105 (coastal nav) and 106 (advanced coastal). You must be an instructor for 2 years before you can get your 206 cert.

When I taught full time we delivered countless 101 thru 104/114 classes. By contrast I taught about 2 105/106 classes per year.

For your initial IQC I would go for 201 - 204/214. Successful completion (80%) is required for any instructor cert above 201. A score of 90% or better gets you your 205 cert as well.

In the past, I assume still so, US SAIL did not offer a 114 (Catamaran) class so that drove a lot of students to ASA.

Sorry for all the class numbers, but too much to type all the names. Numbers available on ASA web site.

Tags
Caribbean, certification, rib