Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-01-2016, 20:12   #1

Income for long term cruising?

Hi

I have bought myself a very nice boat which is all set up for long distance cruising, and my original plan was to stop work in about 2-3 year's time and go cruising. But whichever way I calculate it, I find that I cannot afford to do this long term, especially because my wife will stay on shore, will be retired also and needs an place to live, which means for one person cruising off an on, and another living onshore my savings will whittle down quite fast. I can do this for about 4 years, but then it would really start to eat into our longer term retirement plans.

I reckon I would need about 50-55,000 in U$ per year so my wife is comfortable and I can sail including looking after the necessary boat repairs, eat well, use a marina once in a while etc.

How do you do do this, especially those that have partners that do not sail? Any perspectives? Do you throw caution in the wind, use up your savings and hope neither of you live to a ripe old age, so you won't need money for long? Or do you find ways of having an income once in a while, for example by cruising sometimes and then - if you can - go back to your old job on a periodic contract basis? But that kind of defeats the purpose of it all. I just like to find out what people (even singles) do and what the alternatives are. Thanks.
Hugo B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, income, long term cruising