Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2011, 14:46   #271

Boat: Duncanson 37
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
+1
Mate can I suggest 2 things.......
1. perhaps you should build a smaller boat with sails.......
2. If you dont like it here hurry up and finish your boat and get the F**k outer ere!!
My girlfriend is Colombain she made me realise how lucky we are to live here, also I work with back packers they always comment how lucky we are to live in this beautiful country......I really disagree with you commenting Australia is a overpriced sh**t whole.
Old 15-12-2011, 15:07   #272

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

The price of consumables is only one factor as to the livability of a country. When I hear of other so-called advanced societies where people who can't afford medical treatment go without, and where unemployed get no government assistance, where retired people get no pension, I'm happy to live in a country that provides for those who are doing it tough. Maybe one day I'll be one of them. Until then I'll happily pay my taxes so that others less fortunate than myself can have some dignity. I don't know an Aussie who would rather live anywhere else. Almost nightly on our news we here stories of another boatload of people trying to get into our country illegally. It can't be that bad here. If I couldn't stay living in Australia, the only other place I would even consider would be Tasmania.
Old 15-12-2011, 15:11   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
The price of consumables is only one factor as to the livability of a country. When I hear of other so-called advanced societies where people who can't afford medical teatment go without, and where unemployed get no government assistance, I'm happy to live in a country that provides for those who are doing it tough. Maybe one day I'll be one of them. Until then I'll happily pay my taxes so that others less fortunate than myself can have some dignity. Given the whole range of factors, I don't know an Aussie who would rather live anywhere else. If I couldn't stay in Australia, the only other place I would consider living in would be Tasmania.
Yes I must agree with that!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tasmaina the garden of eden!
Old 15-12-2011, 15:40   #274
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana
The price of consumables is only one factor as to the livability of a country. When I hear of other so-called advanced societies where people who can't afford medical treatment go without, and where unemployed get no government assistance, where retired people get no pension, I'm happy to live in a country that provides for those who are doing it tough. Maybe one day I'll be one of them. Until then I'll happily pay my taxes so that others less fortunate than myself can have some dignity. I don't know an Aussie who would rather live anywhere else. Almost nightly on our news we here stories of another boatload of people trying to get into our country illegally. It can't be that bad here. If I couldn't stay living in Australia, the only other place I would even consider would be Tasmania.
My mum born on Launceston would be surprised to know she's not Australian - LOL...
Old 15-12-2011, 16:23   #275

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by southace View Post
Mate can I suggest 2 things.......
1. perhaps you should build a smaller boat with sails.......
Something tells me you didn't think very hard about this comment.

A smaller boat I had before, it was not large enough to live on.
A sailing boat has motors as does my motorboat and same size so no saving there.
A sailing boat also requires a lot more additional money spent on rig and sails, so how exactly will that additional expense help?

Availability of funds is not the issue
Price of labour and parts, compared to other countries is.

Quote:
2. If you dont like it here hurry up and finish your boat and get the F**k outer ere!!
Charming
Did you have a tear rolling down your face as you typed that vitriol, was your lip quivering in anger?

Quote:
My girlfriend is Colombain she made me realise how lucky we are to live here,
I assume you mean Columbian?

What does that prove, that there are worse places than Australia? I never denied that there was.
If your girlfriend came from one of the many places in the world where quality of living and affordability were better than Australia, then you may have had an argument.

Quote:
also I work with back packers they always comment how lucky we are to live in this beautiful country
Beauty has nothing to do with affordability (Bang for Buck) and seriously, do you think Australia has the monopoly on beauty?
If you do, I suggest you need to get out more.

Your wealthy world travellers here on a visit are not about to visit the crappy areas in this country and they certainly aren't about to buy a house, a car, pay insurance, rates, electricity bills etc etc.
That being the case they really have no idea, so their comment is invalid in relation to this discussion.

Quote:
I really disagree with you commenting Australia is overpriced
So you are one of the delusional few.
(A delusion is a false belief held with absolute conviction despite superior evidence.)

Do you really expect me to believe that you have not noticed the increase in cost of near everything?
Only yesterday I had my household insurance bill arrive with an increase of 30% yet I have never made a claim and wages have not gone up 30% to justify it.
Last year rates went up 25% on some properties I have, yet average Joe's wages did not increase to cover those either.
Power bills, are you saying you have not noticed any increase there?

Perhaps you live with your parents and still have them paying the bills for you or perhaps you are one of the lucky few who are on wages several times higher than the average and just don't notice these things?

The majority are not in this position.

Quote:
sh**t whole.
That's not how you spell it.
Yes,I know, our education standards have dropped in this country as well.
Old 15-12-2011, 16:34   #276

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Australia might be an over priced shithole,

But show me another country that even comes close to us,for all our good things,

Excluding Tasmania, Hahahahahahaha
Old 15-12-2011, 16:46   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
where retired people get no pension, I'm happy to live in a country that provides for those who are doing it tough. Maybe one day I'll be one of them. Until then I'll happily pay my taxes so that others less fortunate than myself can have some dignity.
As mentioned in another post, the pension barely covers the cost of accommodation in Australia, leaving hardly enough for catfood.
If you call that dignity well, lets just say our opinions differ.
Quote:
I don't know an Aussie who would rather live anywhere else.
They are out there in ever increasing numbers, but I dont expect you to know them.
Quote:
While most of the debate on migration concentrates on the numbers and characteristics of immigrants to Australia, emigration (that is, people leaving Australia) has increased steadily in recent years.

A total of 86,277 people indicated that they left Australia permanently in 2009–10.

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 5. Emigration from Australia

Quote:
Almost nightly on our news we here stories of another boatload of people trying to get into our country illegally. It can't be that bad here.
In Australia we help with accommodation, jobs, food and money.
What's not to like when you have come from an area where poor standards of living, murder, rape and various other atrocities are the daily norm.
Old 15-12-2011, 16:48   #278
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually you are both mistaken...

Columbian = fail
Colombain = fail

Colombian = we have a winner...

Carry on...

(and please don't let this devolve into a spelling contest - I am having too much fun...)
Old 15-12-2011, 16:56   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Columbian = fail
Colombain = fail

Fair cop Guv
Old 15-12-2011, 17:34   #280

Quote:
My mum born on Launceston would be surprised to know she's not Australian - LOL...
We say here in Australia "My Mum was born in Launcestion" not ON it....Launceston is not a mountain neither a island! it is a small city..... sorry to correct your geography mate but we all have our weekness...weakness opps
Old 15-12-2011, 17:37   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Australia might be an over priced shithole,

But show me another country that even comes close to us,for all our good things,
What would they be

Old 15-12-2011, 17:42   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Im glad they dont mention Aussie women at least they got that right!! But they did forget the all the Alcholics!!!
Old 15-12-2011, 17:46   #283
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southace

We say here in Australia "My Mum was born in Launcestion" not ON it....Launceston is not a mountain neither a island! it is a small city..... sorry to correct your geography mate but we all have our weekness...weakness opps
Sorry for the typo. Technically you are correcting my grammar or my spelling. Not my geography.

So you are saying Launceston, "on" the island of Tasmania is not part of Australia?

I'm wondering who needs a geography lesson.

And really, I do not want to engage in spelling and typos arguments cuz it's a waste of time and in the end no one looks the smarter.

See - I could take a shot at your spelling of "Launcestion" - but I won't...

It would be more fun if you took the path well travelled and disparaged my being bred from Tasmanian stock - LOL
Old 15-12-2011, 17:50   #284

Quote:

Columbian = fail
Colombain = fail

Carry on...

(and please don't let this devolve into a spelling contest - I am having too much fun...)
But you did engage remember it was not that long ago!
Old 15-12-2011, 17:51   #285
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Now you finally point out a tragedy!

Having been a globetrotter for a long time certain things carry a bit of romance.

Early this year I visited rellies and went to a footy game. I was jonesin' for a meat pie having not had one in like 20 years. When I picked up my 4-n-twenty it had freakin' poppy seeds on top and no rat tails inside...

Bloody hell! What is Australia coming to...
Closed Thread

Tags
Australia, australia