Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 13:18   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Boat Rugs ?

Does anyone know where I can buy specialty or custom sized rugs for my new sailboat? I would like to replace the current rugs on the boat. Thanks!
lisap1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 13:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Rugs???

ROTFLMBO.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 13:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Boat Rugs???

Don't mind Boatman -- he's a rather free spirit.

If I were you I would run, not walk away from any specific marine suppliers of rugs. Just buy them the way you would for your house (and from the same vendors) and you will be fine. I only have one rug on my 54' sailboat, and it is a pretty hand-knotted Afghan rug which I bought for surprisingly little money on sale at a department store in Southampton. It is pretty and gives pleasure underfoot in port, although people slip on it, and curse bitterly, when we're sailing (now I roll it up and stow it, before raising sail).

Good luck, and send us before and after pictures.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 13:59   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Our boat came with carpet throughout (Hallberg-Rassy). We ordered the boat new, the Hallberg-Rassy Forum is excellent and we asked there if we should get the carpet (we planned not to). Everyone with carpets wrote back that they loved them, so we ordered the boat with them. They are snapped to the floor so do not move around at all. We love them! Last year we had to replace the originals, so ordered marine carpet from a local store and took the old carpets and new roll to a man who cut them out and bound the edges.
After 6 years and 30,000 miles on this boat we are convinced they are the way to go.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:14   #5
jzk

We have rugs on our Beneteau 47.7. We had them cut and the edges finished by a carpet guy that did the carpets for our office. The only problem is that the glue on the carpet makes this dust that gets everywhere.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Rugs???

Hey Dockhead.... Thanks for the compliment...
I've used rugs in port/moorings/anchor on my bigger boats and I agree they're nice underfoot.... but come on...
Wants Custom but no boat make/size etc...
I just figure its a Troll with a difference....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 23:21   #7
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boat Rugs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It is pretty and gives pleasure underfoot in port, although people slip on it, and curse bitterly, when we're sailing (now I roll it up and stow it, before raising sail).
Me too. In fact, only time they ever go down is if we're having a dinner party on board, eating off our custom bought plastic plates with our specially fitted IKEA stainless steel cutlery!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
When are ya gonna learn to be nice to the newbs, Boatman? Esp the good looking female ones who can afford custom made rugs for their new sailboats??? Doh

Lisa....

At long last I present to you someone who will take your question seriously (me). This topic was discussed here last year: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-63766.html

My rugs are small, plain rag rugs which fill the spaces and clean up easily. I have thought about using kitchen remnants, since I'd guess they are quite water resistant, which is a prime consideration. A book I just read (can't remember which one) suggested fitting cheap carpet tiles, but considering them as temporary, since they need replacing every few years.

So, factors to consider:

Water resistance
Durability
Cleanability
Flexibility

As Dockhead said, just buy one like you'd buy for your home. I can't see you getting a better price at any chandlers... and TBH I've never seen any at chandlers!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 06:54   #8

If the rugs don't need to be custom fitted, the best ones we found were from Walmart with a non-slipping back: they don't slide on varnished wooden floor (up to 40 degrees heel, after they start moving a bit), shoes/socks/bare feet grip very well to them, they keep dirt from getting into the bilge, they feel nice, they prevent the floor from getting marks. Oh, and you can get sets of them, for example, bigger runner for the salon and small ones for berth cabins.

We do have to replace them every 1.5 years, but considering that we live and sail on the boat all the time, the time is long enough for us.

We also experimented with regular (not non-slipping) rugs with an under-carpet non-slip underneath. Didn't work so well as the rugs do move more when sailing and the under-carpet layer starts to disintegrate earlier.

The head presents a bigger challenge in terms of rugs as the rug has to be breathable or with holes to prevent mold, non-slipping, and without much fabric. We experimented with a lot of different solutions, and ended up getting a perfect rug from Home Sense with a non-marking non-slipping black back and anti-mold, anti-anything surface that grips very well even to wet shoes. Don't remember the name of the company though.
Why a rug in the head? It's much easier to clean than the grooves of non-slip fiberglass floor.

While on the topic of rugs and rug-like things, I also use flexible sink liners for kitchen and head stainless sinks. This prevents accidental prism effect of the sun reflected off the sink surface, and prevents dished in the kitchen sink from moving around and knocking during passages before they get washed and put away.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 08:22   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey Dockhead.... Thanks for the compliment...
I've used rugs in port/moorings/anchor on my bigger boats and I agree they're nice underfoot.... but come on...
Maybe Rug has a different meaning in the US? as sounds like OP is after a fitted carpet - and not something that Aladdin used to fly with

Or could simply be after a Syrup.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 08:46   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have one i use at anchor only and cat loves it-- under way i will not have anything on cabin sole as the dang things cause falls and scatter ye like an open bag of marbles even with non skid under them.... and the latex garbage backing turns to powder, gets into bilges and and sticks to the cabin sole--looks like hell on a teak and holly sole and ruins bilge pumps. also causes allergic reactions including asthma.
the one i use at anchor is not latex backed and i think i bought it at walmart.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 08:56   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Look for "runners" with rubber backing.

And welcome to the forum.

Please excuse the jerks you may run into on this forum--we've only got a few of them, and they tend to expose themselves quickly.
Old 29-11-2011, 09:15   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

With two dogs on board we have a pair of loose rubber backed rugs to protect the floor. They also stop wet feet and dirt when its raining (it does that in England). They get a hosing down on the pontoon every so often and are perfect. They were about 4 x 3 feet but cut to fit around the steps etc.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 10:33   #13

Boat: Hylas 54

Thanks for all the helpful responses. We are moving "UP" to a bigger boat (54') and I am attempting to create a nice look, with matching carpets/rugs throughout the boat. But, with all the odd-sized passageways and cabins it's hard to find what I was looking for. Just thought there might be something out there I hadn't found yet. I appreciate the input.
lisap1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 10:43   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Look for "runners" with rubber backing.

And welcome to the forum.
Ditto!

Here in the wet PNW it's good for the entry. Helps to keep the deck a bit dryer and less slippery. When in port they can be washed down and hung out to dry.
Old 29-11-2011, 10:50   #15
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Hi,

If you decide to go with fitted carpet, rather than individual rugs I have some suggestions.

Pick a loop, not a cut surface, it will wear better and be less likely to be slippery.

To get the right shape take brown paper (paper bag paper, but bigger in a roll) and cut and tape the shape you need. If you trim too much off somewhere you can always tape on some more paper and recut. This allows you to run the rugs up under edges and around nooks and crannies to give total coverage where you want it.

Then pick any good quality carpet and have it cut and bound. For added comfort you can have a pad cut just a bit smaller to put under it. A rubber pad will also help hold things in place.

Snaps can be applied but it's a bit tricky. you can screw one side of the snap into the sole, but the other side has to be attached to the carpet. I think setting the second half of the snap into a sturdy canvas and then having that canvas stitched into the seam where the binding is sewn on the edge will be the best bet. When you get the carpet back aboard lay it out and carefully mark each spot you need to mount the snap into the floor.

I would have area rugs, with the rubber backing to help keep them in place to put in heavily trafficked areas, and lay them out on top. They can be cleaned easily with a hose or some run thru a washer just fine. LandsEnd has good quality bath rugs with lots of shapes and sizes. I also like the outdoor carpets a lot too. Many nice patterns available.

Good luck, and we want pictures when you finish!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote