Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 12:34   #376

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Australia Is Such an Overpriced Sh**hole - AAARGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

But due to Govt incompetence (over regulation to raise standards, ahead of the market), lack of industry foresight / under investment and simply that folk discovered that Spain wasn't that foreign on the Costas.
Have to agree on Government incompetence which is everywhere. The biggest industry in Australia and growing rapidly is Govt bureaucracy.

Our pollies like trying to show rest of world how to do it. Free trade in Agriculture, jumping ahead of world with carbon tax to penalise and close down more industry, etc etc.
Old 18-12-2011, 12:38   #377

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Have to agree on Government incompetence which is everywhere. The biggest industry in Australia and growing rapidly is Govt bureaucracy.

Our pollies like trying to show rest of world how to do it. Free trade in Agriculture, jumping ahead of world with carbon tax to penalise and close down more industry, etc etc.
Makes you wonder why, i must watch some re-runs of 'YES MINISTER' :-)

Merry Xmas people.....
Old 18-12-2011, 13:23   #378

Merry xmas, i think enuff is enuff.......
Old 18-12-2011, 13:39   #379

Yeah, damn those mining companies and their high wages. If we all got paid a cup of rice per day to work then we'd be much better off right? You know, just like SE asia... and they have NO pollution there right?
Old 18-12-2011, 13:42   #380

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Reading this thread brings to mind a couple of things:
The first is a cartoon featuring four cows at a point where two fences interact in a cross. Each cow has its head through the fence, cropping the next cow's paddock.
The second is the novel 'Rasselas' by Johnson. In a nutshell, the main characters lived in a Happy Valley where everything was perfect. They became discontented and escaped to wander the world, going from guru to guru seeking the perfect place to be happy.
Eventually it dawned on them that the major factor was thier attitude, rather than their environment. Some see the doughnut, some see the hole - human nature I guess!!
So if you are unhappy where you are, and seek to sail somewhere else where you problems will evaporate and everything will be perfect, you are likely to be disappointed.
Regards,
Richard.
Old 18-12-2011, 13:54   #381
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

and most annoying is with all the regulations,qualifications,courses you have to attend these days ,just to have a menial low paid job,you need none of these to be publically elected official,apart from maybe the gift of the gab....................
Old 18-12-2011, 15:07   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yeah, damn those mining companies and their high wages. If we all got paid a cup of rice per day to work then we'd be much better off right? You know, just like SE asia... and they have NO pollution there right?
BUT you get a maid and that must be important to some... I agree i have no problem living in Gladstone i've been here for 34 years and its a great place. Sadly reporters love trying to flush out a story at any expense. Cheers
Old 18-12-2011, 15:21   #383
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
Reading this thread brings to mind a couple of things:
The first is a cartoon featuring four cows at a point where two fences interact in a cross. Each cow has its head through the fence, cropping the next cow's paddock.
The second is the novel 'Rasselas' by Johnson. In a nutshell, the main characters lived in a Happy Valley where everything was perfect. They became discontented and escaped to wander the world, going from guru to guru seeking the perfect place to be happy.
Eventually it dawned on them that the major factor was thier attitude, rather than their environment. Some see the doughnut, some see the hole - human nature I guess!!
So if you are unhappy where you are, and seek to sail somewhere else where you problems will evaporate and everything will be perfect, you are likely to be disappointed.
Regards,
Richard.

I'm all high on a zen rush now but this nice peaceful post seems out of place on the thread
Old 18-12-2011, 15:57   #384
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hey i got a new pair of trainers,next riots are planned to coincide with the london excel boat show.......this time i'm bringing a truck....got a big yacht to refit......
Old 18-12-2011, 15:58   #385
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Immigration - here is the Aussie governments take on net immigration. Scroll down to the graph and see that it was around 80k net inflow of immigrants. Interestingly 24% of the Aussie population is born elsewhere. Top 3 countries for immigrants are UK, New Zealand and China.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/02key.htm

Housing - presuming it is a free market economy. Someone is buying all those expensive houses. It is a supply and demand thing. If no one was buying the houses the prices would come down. Oh, wait. They are coming down - 3 straight quarters in a row! Technically this is an affordabilty measure based on income vs. home price but...

http://economics.hia.asn.au/media/HI...Qtr%202011.pdf

Tourism - the Aussie dollar is extremely strong. Presuming it is a freely floated currrency, it is an indication of the strength of the Aussie economy. Australia survived the great mortgage crisis relatively unscathed. When I visit Thailand I see scads of Aussie tourists. A strong Aussie dollar allows one to buy overseas holidays cheaply. It also allows one to buy boat parts cheaply.

Incoming tourism will naturally suffer while your dollar is strong. Although airlines tickets for foreigners are priced in home currency, hotels and food are not. Besides - everyone has a tight belt right now as they deal with what an overpriced sh*thole their own country has become since 2009.

CMD - I got no bones to pick with you but like all of us we are going to select the "data" that makes our point. Unless their is a government conspiracy to lie to the world, population growth and immigration is fine, housing prices are recognized as being high but affordability is getting better. Inbound tourism is a victim of your strong dollar but outbound tourism is booming. Markets drive things, not governments.

No one will change your mind and you wont change anyone elses mind. My main question is, "what are you trying to achieve on this thread?" convince everyone Australia is an overpriced Sh*thole? Clearly that ain't gonna happen so this trread really started relatively pointless and has become completey pointless...
Old 18-12-2011, 16:06   #386
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

think he must be a man after my own heart.....anarchy rules....time to go sailing me thinks...............
Old 18-12-2011, 16:24   #387
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Thread closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
Australia, australia