Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 17:35   #31

Boat: Catalina 320 32'
Wife and I just read about your adventure. Even got out the maps to follow the story. Thanks for sharing. It helps keep our dream of sailing away alive.
bczful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 19:25   #32

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Crossing Lake Huron...

There are some truly beautiful harbours in Michigan....great staff and friendly towns. For Beth and I, it was a truly memorable trip....for Beth, the first time she had spent more than an hour on a sailboat, so you can only imagine her thoughts.....never even thrown a line before to a dockhand. She did remarkably well, as I knew she would and could do.

For me....a big jump up from an 18 foot daysailer.....drop keel, main and a jib.....but what fun! I was worried that Beth would not get her sea legs and not enjoy sailing, but all for not...I was worried about crossing the two large crossings, across to Rogers City from Manitoulin, and then across Saginaw Bay. Both of those days proved testing....big water, not user friendly, but we did very well in crossing both.

Beth tells everyone she can't wait to get back up to the North Channel...and I have promised that when I retire, in no more than 6 years from now, that we will spend the summer sailing it, and with us not having a time limit for our adventure, it will once again be a trip that we will both always remember.

Will we see our goal of sailing to the Caribbean? We both will do all in our power to make it happen.....we love the water, love to sail, really enjoy meeting fellow sailboaters....and we have six more summers to prep ourselves and our boat for just such an adventure. It won't be on Kewalo, we both know that now, but it is an awesome boat to begin our journey, of that there can be no doubt.

So, for now, sail every chance we get, read everything we can get our hands on, and set our goals to make all of the above happen. The Cruiser's Forum will undoubtably help us get there.

bczful, you too can make it happen...one day at a time.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Great stuff Gunk. Congrats on the successful voyage, and on the beginning of a new adventure. I'm sure you'll make it as far as you and Beth want to go.

We're sailing the Lake Superior for the coming two years, and then heading east out the St. Lawrence, and eventually south to the Caribbean. Hopefully we'll see you out there sometime.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:46   #34

Boat: Stevens 47

Hey Mike:

It's a different lifestyle from a touring bike to the sailboat, but we love it! It might take us a wee bit longer now to get to places like Savannah and Ocracoke....<grin>but once we're retired, what does time really matter?

Hopefully we'll meet up with each other one of these days! Make sure you let me know when you're passing through Windsor so that we can make it a point to hook up!

Lake Superior is another beauty....the Apostle Islands, Bayfield, Grand Marais.....sure wish I had more time off to do some extended Great Lakes sailing in all this hot weather!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote