Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 09:52   #1

Boat: Catalina 42
Yanmar 4JH5e

Wanted Yanmar 4JH5E or simular with or without gearbox, or any Yanmar around 50hp, must be CE marked
Thanks all
Exmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:03   #2

Re: Yanmar 4JH5e

hi i have a yanmar 4jh2te 62 hp with a kbw20 2.62 to 1 gear 2600 hours runs great also balmar alt asking 5000 us i will have to check about the ce thanks neal ps its in new jersey
nea k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:20   #3

Th story is that I have a Catalina 42 with ae 4JH3E engine, and I am taking her to Europe next year.
One of the requirements is that the engine must comply to EU regulations
1. it must have a CE sticker
2 it must originate from Europe, ie purchased in a boat bought in Europe, or bought as an engine in Europe

I look forward to your reply

By the way my boat is in North Carolina at the moment
Old 04-08-2018, 12:25   #4

You do not need a CE certified engine if you want to sail in Europe??

Only if you have the intention to import the boat in Europe you would need a CE certification. And that CE certification has to be valid for the boat. Not only the engine.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 15:46   #5

I am importing the boat into the UK. and it needs to pass EU certification
The engine is inspected during the certification process, and it must comply with EU regulations regarding emissions.
Under new legislation the unit must be compliant, and must display a valid CE Cert/Sticker
They can ask of proof of origin also if they wish
Any engine supplied outside th EU even if it is brand new must go through inspection to be compliant with EU law
Believe me I have looked at every angle to bypass this, the downside being that the authorities will impound the boat if it is found in EU waters without a current cert

Regards Chris
Old 04-08-2018, 16:55   #6

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmoor View Post
Th story is that I have a Catalina 42 with ae 4JH3E engine, and I am taking her to Europe next year.
One of the requirements is that the engine must comply to EU regulations
1. it must have a CE sticker
2 it must originate from Europe, ie purchased in a boat bought in Europe, or bought as an engine in Europe

I look forward to your reply

By the way my boat is in North Carolina at the moment
Have you spoken to HM's Revenue and Customs Yacht Unit of Expertise and showed them the CE Certificate of Conformity in the last page of your Yanmar pdf owner's manual?

They were very helpful to me when I had a simar issue with a 3YM20.

Would you mind showing a photo of your engine's plate?
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 22:00   #7

Understood
Unfortunately I do not have the original Owners manual, and also the plate is missing due to rivet corrosion and was lost several years ago, the motor is some 20 years old,
When did you import your engine into the EU?

The EU rules changes in 2016 I believe

Regards

Chris
Old 04-08-2018, 22:54   #8

Quote:
I am importing the boat into the UK. and it needs to pass EU certification

The engine is inspected during the certification process, and it must comply with EU regulations regarding emissions.

Under new legislation the unit must be compliant, and must display a valid CE Cert/Sticker

They can ask of proof of origin also if they wish

Any engine supplied outside th EU even if it is brand new must go through inspection to be compliant with EU law

Believe me I have looked at every angle to bypass this, the downside being that the authorities will impound the boat if it is found in EU waters without a current cert

Regards Chris

Ouch. If the boat does not have a CE certification when built it is more or less impossible to do it 20 years later.

Perhaps better to wait to after BREXIT.
Who knows situation might improve after BREXIT.
Old 05-08-2018, 00:00   #9

Well you say that

But it is still possible as long as the engine problem is solved, ie emissions.
The position after Brexit will unfortunately be the same, although I will no longer be a EU citizen, it does not make a lot of difference as the UK government will still adhere to the EU regulations as far as CE certs are concerned, because a British manufacture or even a US manufacturer will not be able to export new boats to the EU as they will not conform to EU regulations.

As far as I am concerned I will have to pay for inspection, which includes stability tests and many other factors that concern safety of the boat.
none of which are a real problem being as she is a production boat, it is just the engine, so i can change the engine which is no problem, as most Yanmar 4JH series have all the same engine mounts etc

so 1 day out and 2 days back in
I just need to find a CE marked engine of any age and condition to satisy the rules, it is crazy as it could still be an old engine pouring out smoke, but as long as it is CE marked it is OK, But that is the EU, be glad when we are out of it
Old 05-08-2018, 00:46   #10

Quote:
Well you say that

But it is still possible as long as the engine problem is solved, ie emissions.

The position after Brexit will unfortunately be the same, although I will no longer be a EU citizen, it does not make a lot of difference as the UK government will still adhere to the EU regulations as far as CE certs are concerned, because a British manufacture or even a US manufacturer will not be able to export new boats to the EU as they will not conform to EU regulations.

As far as I am concerned I will have to pay for inspection, which includes stability tests and many other factors that concern safety of the boat.

none of which are a real problem being as she is a production boat, it is just the engine, so i can change the engine which is no problem, as most Yanmar 4JH series have all the same engine mounts etc

so 1 day out and 2 days back in

I just need to find a CE marked engine of any age and condition to satisy the rules, it is crazy as it could still be an old engine pouring out smoke, but as long as it is CE marked it is OK, But that is the EU, be glad when we are out of it

There are companies on mainland Europe that have offered to provide CE-certification on older boats. Most of them have been closing down as it has been proven that they all cheat and that the CE-certification was not valid on inspection.

Many imported boats passed CE-certification just because the authorities did look between the fingers and used common sense or did not understand what CE certification really means.

Believe me it is impossible to CE certify a 20 year old boat if you follow the rules! You can make it pass all the important things that has to do with emissions, safety and use of the boat. Unfortunately that is not everything that is needed to comply with the CE-certification.

The CE certification rules really need to be updated to give guidance and solutions for people who want to import old boats.

It is actually easier to import an old car and get it registered.

Anyhow good luck.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:32   #11

Quote:
Understood
Unfortunately I do not have the original Owners manual, and also the plate is missing due to rivet corrosion and was lost several years ago, the motor is some 20 years old,

Regards

Chris
I did not know about the 2016 change. I went through this in 2011; ended up not importing the boat but had in hand a pdf certificate from Yanmar that said that the engine model X (same code as in metal plate) was compliant.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:42   #12

Quote:
Understood

Regards

Chris
Some points that may or may not help.

AFAIK engines do not come with "CE plates" like the ones you see on boats. You get a paper or pdf document that says that Yanmar and XYZ Corp (one of those companies like SGS) certify that engine model 3YM20A or whatever is compliant. You can find the document as part of most Yanmar pdf owner manuals. When I looked at this for myself the engine models sold in US were included.

The trick is that for some (recent?) manuals the thing says that the complian model is "RCD4JH.." as if there was a specific EU model.

Have you looked into the exemption for plessure boats older than 1998?

The RYA can help a lot with this.

Tags
yanmar