Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2013, 03:14   #1

Yanmar 4JH5E Injection Pump Failure

I recently installed a new Yanmar auxillary 4JH5E 54bhp engine (this is a new model) and after 81 hours the injection pump breaks up internally. The part that broke is the size of a US quarter but thicker and regulates the flow of the diesel to the injectors. Would like to hear from anyone who has this engine about their experiences so far.
gmthompson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 03:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Med Cruising

It is a very common engine that has been around for a while. (The model designation has been changed over the years, but the changes to engine itself has been minimal). It is also very similar mechanically to the turbo charged variants.

It is generally regarded as as one of the most reliable engines with a good record.

Faults to the high pressure pump are on any marine diesel engine are quite rare. I assume it will fixed under warranty and its not a fault I would be concerned about reoccurring.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:57   #3

Boat: Hercher BM 50 Catamaran
Re: Yanmar 4JH5E Injection Pump Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmthompson99 View Post
I recently installed a new Yanmar auxillary 4JH5E 54bhp engine (this is a new model) and after 81 hours the injection pump breaks up internally. The part that broke is the size of a US quarter but thicker and regulates the flow of the diesel to the injectors. Would like to hear from anyone who has this engine about their experiences so far.

Hi, this is Karl on Sailingcatamaran Zoe.
We built in 2 new yanmar engine 4JH5E in 2013 same type as you. one of the engines stopped 10 month later. a small prart of the distributer poston broke in the injectionpump. The local dealer (TESA in Panama) do not like to change it in warranty.
ZOELINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 15:07   #4

Karl,
Thanks for your reply. My problem happened last August and Yanmar, flying in the face of French consumer law, are still not taking any responsibility. It appears to me that there is a design fault in the injection pump which allows minute quantities of water to build up into the injection piston system and when sufficient quantities build up the 'quarter' size metallic fuse splits rendering the injection pump useless. Where the water comes from is a mystery. It is so minute that it could be the assembler's perspiration or just condensation from the trapped humidity inside the piston area when it was manufactured. In my case there was no evidence that the oxyidation formed by the water droplet had any sufficient salt in it to indicate it came from the sea. A further question arises in that since this part of the pump system is closed off from the pressure injection system itself, how could water ingress to the cause the malfunction?
I would like to hear from other owners that have had this problem in this forum as we may not be alone. Yanmar's steadfast refusal to honour a 2 year guarantee makes me even more suspicious that they are trying to hide something.
Do you any photos to share of the broken part or parts? What was their reasoning for not honouring the guarantee?
I certainly feel that I have been 'pistoned' myself (to use a polite term) and very unfairly treated. It is not the way to run a company such as Yanmar is!
gmthompson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:19   #5

We have the same problem with our engine 4JH5E, after 230 hours the injection pump has stopped working. TESA does not want to assume the guarantee because they say it is an installation problem.
Do you solve your problem?I wanna know how you solved it?
Gitana79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:00   #6

Hello, yes I had same problems with TESA. Know other sailors who told me the same. I bought a new Injection pump in Rotterdam. Easier than to fight with TESA, cheaper than to get a Lawyer and faster than to go to (corrupt) court in Panamá.
With the experience from today, I would import a new engine by myself from USA and bypass TESA.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:07   #7

Not sure I understand. If there is water in the diesel fuel caused by condensation in the fuel tank could this not be the source of water?
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:33   #8

in my opinion YES. there are other possibilities p.ex. diesel tank gets water from outside. usually YANMAR does not deliver a water seperator. it needs to be installed from the owner on own costs. on zoe there are two racor 500 and working good.
Old 02-02-2018, 16:32   #9

In our boat, water entered the oil because they did not put an antisiphon on it. the water filter was also below the waterline. TESA recommended the person who installed the engine and he did it wrong and then TESA says that it is installation problem. Today the injection pump is in a laboratory to repair, I hope it is not broken and do not have to buy a new one
Old 04-02-2018, 07:10   #10

Usually TESA recomends on the Atlantic Side Mr. Guido. He introduced hisselves to me as the official mechanic for TESA. I dont know if there is any other mechanic around recomended by TESA
Old 04-02-2018, 16:39   #11

We installed the engine in Linton Bay Marina and the work was done by Florencio. We installed the Florencio engine, he also said that he was authorized by TESA but TESA says that neither Guido nor Florencio are authorized. We really hope our injection pump is not broken and we do not have to buy a new one
Old 05-02-2018, 11:17   #12

Today we have more bads news. The injection pump is broken, we need to buy a new one. Have an idea where can I buy this and How much it?
Old 29-07-2019, 07:09   #13

I too have suffered an injection pump failure with this type of engine. After 510 hours the injection head drive shattered. My warranty had expired by two weeks so no help from Yanmar. Had pump rebuilt at a cost of 1300 UK pounds but have no confidence that same thing won' t happen again. In my opinion this drive is not up to the job.
David Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 07:51   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marshall View Post
I too have suffered an injection pump failure with this type of engine. After 510 hours the injection head drive shattered. My warranty had expired by two weeks so no help from Yanmar. Had pump rebuilt at a cost of 1300 UK pounds but have no confidence that same thing won' t happen again. In my opinion this drive is not up to the job.
I had a problem with an injection pump on the 4JH4E. It was well out of warranty but never worked right. Finally had it rebuilt and has been fine since then.

If you can find an agricultural diesel repair shop , as opposed to a marine one, they are often much cheaper.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, yanmar