Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 17:03   #16

Boat: wanting a cat
Re: Need help moving sailboat in pdx

You are in way over your head, but you know that, wait for a decent weather day if you can. Check local marinas and see if you might be able to talk someone in to giving you a hand.
Hang out on this forum more, you can get some great advice for nothing. If you can sail that on the Columbia River safely, you probably can sail most anywhere...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 17:05   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanni View Post
I've got a motor I am not feeling confident about at all. I'm not accustomed to being so completely ignorant about something I've taken an interest to and it's a bit embarassing, but, hey, I'm doing it in large part for the learning experience. I had in length discussions with the seller about my hesitancy about the motor prior to purchasing. Rather than being dushinest, I believe she was just about as knowledgeable as me, which is to say not at all. My final decision to go ahead and buy anyway is that my preliminary research into the motor suggested it being worth the amount I was paying for it and that when I had sorted it all out I could simpKimIly sell or trade for what I actually need.

I don't know if you've ready my early posts prior to purchasing her when I was asking for advice ND got a weird feeling about the responses I was receiving. The motor is a Minn Kota vantage 80 thrust 24 volt with 80 hours on it. The boat is a 1971 22' santana. After months of trying to gain any sort of understanding is that this motor simply just isn't made for this type of boat, but rather more for something like a small aluminum fishing boat on a lake with no current. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. For me it explains the feeling I got was that responders weren't understanding why that motor would ever be hanging off that boat in the first case. But I could still be wrong and am continuing to find out as much as I can. I know definitely that I will be swapping out for an O/B, around 9.9 hp..
Actually for that little.samtana about all you need is a little 4horse or so outboard. A 9.9 would be way to much weight for the boat.
Old 10-01-2017, 17:10   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a motor that would be great on your little Santana
Evenrude outboard motor
Many times better than the minn kota
Old 10-01-2017, 17:32   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Oh, an electric trolling outboard!

One common rule of thumb is 5lbs of thrust for every 200lbs of boat weight

The Vantage 80 is rated as 80lb of thrust (so up to 3200lb displacement boat?) and your Santana 22 has a design displacement of 2600 lb, so at full throttle it should be able to push you along reasonably well at 2-3 knots or maybe a bit faster (similar to a 2-3 HP petrol engine at medium revs?), but it will be chewing up the Amp hours so make sure you have plenty of battery capacity available.

If you are trying to buck a current upstream, it could well be insufficient.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 17:54   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Oh, an electric trolling outboard!

One common rule of thumb is 5lbs of thrust for every 200lbs of boat weight

The Vantage 80 is rated as 80lb of thrust (so up to 3200lb displacement boat?) and your Santana 22 has a design displacement of 2600 lb, so at full throttle it should be able to push you along reasonably well at 2-3 knots or maybe a bit faster (similar to a 2-3 HP petrol engine at medium revs?), but it will be chewing up the Amp hours so make sure you have plenty of battery capacity available.

If you are trying to buck a current upstream, it could well be insufficient.
Stu we are talking going upriver in the Columbia in the Portland area. A rather strong current to go against that electric won't do it . He will need a 4 horse or more but not to big or the boat. Heck in calm I could row mine ( had the schock 21 wing keel ) easier han my old zodiac ten ft

I know how you love wiki but here is the river
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_River
Old 10-01-2017, 18:08   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Stu we are talking going upriver in the Columbia in the Portland area. A rather strong current to go against that electric won't do it . He will need a 4 horse or more but not to big or the boat. Heck in calm I could row mine ( had the schock 21 wing keel ) easier han my old zodiac ten ft

I know how you love wiki but here is the river
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_River

I don't know the area, which is why I added the disclaimer
"If you are trying to buck a current upstream, it could well be insufficient."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 18:37   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

I don't know the area, which is why I added the disclaimer
"If you are trying to buck a current upstream, it could well be insufficient."
I saw that and posted the wiki link for general info on the move
Old 11-01-2017, 05:59   #23

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

OH,

Nevermind my previous information. I had assumed it was a gas motor.

I had some very sad experience with an electric motor some years ago trying a similar thing. I had an 18 foot fishing boat and the outboard died. It had a Minnkota. I thought I could get to the boat ramp which was only 2 miles. The one battery died about half way there. Plus it didn't have enough power to keep me out of the mud on the sides of the creek.

Your situation could be very different, but I'd not volunteer to head out against the current with that set up.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:12   #24

I'm in no position to help skill-wise or geographically. But based on everything I'm reading it seems to make sense that you replace your outboard before this move. You've already said you will replace it and others have pointed out the reasons you should.

Maybe that's obvious to you at this point, but I haven't read where you've made that decision yet.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:57   #25

Quote:
That just means you wont get notified about anymore posts in the tread till after you come back and.get caught up. Just helps sto ppl you from getting to many emails. By catching up you will now get notified about my reply.
I've tried really hard to get back to each and everyone who has responded to me. I feel it's the least I can do for their time and interest in me. Anything else would be the height of rudeness. So I hope I haven't missed anyone out there and if I did it was completely inadvertently. I really have been amazed by how many people have responded and with very helpful suggestions and offers to boot. It's been.impressive and definitely makes it impossible to feel like you're all alone out there
tsanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
OH,

Nevermind my previous information. I had assumed it was a gas motor.

I had some very sad experience with an electric motor some years ago trying a similar thing. I had an 18 foot fishing boat and the outboard died. It had a Minnkota. I thought I could get to the boat ramp which was only 2 miles. The one battery died about half way there. Plus it didn't have enough power to keep me out of the mud on the sides of the creek.

Your situation could be very different, but I'd not volunteer to head out against the current with that set up.
Yeah, there's no way I'm going to rely on the minn kota for any part of tgus. I'm looking to sell or trade it for a gas o/B as there's nothing wrong with with it other than being the wrong motor for the boat
Old 12-01-2017, 12:13   #27

Boat: Valiant 40

The motor is not inappropriate for the boat per se; it's suitability is a function of what it's purpose was. If it was just to get the boat in and out of slips, tight coves, etc, it was probably ideal. For any longer trip, in the order of miles, it's borderline or inadequate, based on the situation and conditions.

I think it's biggest drawback is that it may run out of battery power in the middle of your trip, or may not be strong enough to deal with the current. You're going down stream, but if the motor will not push the boat upstream faster than the current, then it's downright dangerous if there is not enough wind to sail up current.

Another option is to actually sail the boat down to your destination. Imagine that. Could be a very nice day sail on the right day and I'm sure you can find some sailor willing to help out.

Depending on how frequently you plan on using the boat, you might want to consider a Lehr outboard, which runs on propane. No gummy carburetors or old fuel issues. They're great for exactly this application. My BIL has one, which replaced a Yammie 9.9 4 stroke on his Rhodes 22, and he loves it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Talk View Post
I'm in no position to help skill-wise or geographically. But based on everything I'm reading it seems to make sense that you replace your outboard before this move. You've already said you will replace it and others have pointed out the reasons you should.

Maybe that's obvious to you at this point, but I haven't read where you've made that decision yet.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!
Yeah I'm definitely going to putting on a gas o/b. Hands down the only way to go. Gotta sell the minn kota to raise a few bucks for ut, all in good time
Old 12-01-2017, 12:44   #29

Quote:
Actually for that little.samtana about all you need is a little 4horse or so outboard. A 9.9 would be way to much weight for the boat.
I'm getting really confused about what size motor to decide on. The majority of people have said min 8 hp. Many have said I could get away with 4-6 but the if I can a bigger would be better. How do I determine all thus? I know that I'll be dealing with some pretty heavy currents where I am and for a while will be relying 100% on motor power till I learn how to sail.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:45   #30

Quote:
Here is a motor that would be great on your little Santana
Evenrude outboard motor
Many times better than the minn kota
Unfortunately that posting has expired. Do you remember the soecs?

Tags
sail, sailboat