Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2014, 04:41   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: SUP Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
I'm conflicted, I'd like to try it, but the 100 or so SUPs floating around the main channel in the marina are really annoying when I'm trying to get out of my slip.. SoCal is definitely SUP central.
Ain't it the truth....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:07   #32

Boat: Tartan 40

We have a jimmy styx inflatable SUP we got on sale from West Marine. IMHO is just fine for what we are doing. Long distances, we use the dinghy. For paddling around and exploring around mothership for exercise, it's great. Deflates to smaller roll which I think is key. Where am I safely going to store a 11 foot board on deck?
We also like on land we can just throw in trunk and go somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:24   #33

Hello all:
Inflatable SUPs can be great, but like anything, it depends upon the manufacturer and the board itself. And your size, weight, experience level.

As a reseller of inflatable SUPs, I have been on dozens of boards. The one I kept personally was a Red Air Allwater 9-6 from Red Paddle Co. Great board. I am 5-4. I had it inflated for probably a year in a boat house without any issues before reselling it.

There are all different types of pumps for inflating these boards. I hope I am not intruding but we have written many articles on this on our blog. Here is one on all the different pumps, costs, and pros/cons.
https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/2014...-paddle-board/

We also have many detailed writeups/reviews on various inflatable SUPs which may help you. Feel free to ask any questions outside this forum if you wish, and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.
AirKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 06:32   #34

Boat: PT-11

We have the Bic 10' one. Its great. Make sure you get one at least 5" thick and that can go to 15psi. Its got to have very high pressure to feel rigid. Get the suncover to go with it because you'll not deflate nearly as often as you think you will.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 07:01   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirKayaks View Post
Hello all:
Inflatable SUPs can be great, but like anything, it depends upon the manufacturer and the board itself. And your size, weight, experience level.

As a reseller of inflatable SUPs, I have been on dozens of boards. The one I kept personally was a Red Air Allwater 9-6 from Red Paddle Co. Great board. I am 5-4. I had it inflated for probably a year in a boat house without any issues before reselling it.

There are all different types of pumps for inflating these boards. I hope I am not intruding but we have written many articles on this on our blog. Here is one on all the different pumps, costs, and pros/cons.
https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/2014...-paddle-board/

We also have many detailed writeups/reviews on various inflatable SUPs which may help you. Feel free to ask any questions outside this forum if you wish, and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.
Many thanks for your response. The article on pumps was very helpful. I will probably be purchasing a package deal, which includes a pump, but it is very useful to know what to expect.

I will do a bit more research then fire with my questions .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:20   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
SWL, we have two SUPs that are the Bali by Solstice. Under $500 USD each. About 40 lbs each. They stay inflated all the time in racks on the stanchions without covers. Add a little air once in a while to keep them tight. For passages or rough weather we deflate and stow below. They roll up unto bags about 12" diameter by 24". Not hard to inflate (and deflate) with a hand pump but much easier with 12v pump. Deflate with the pump makes it store much smaller. We bought these about a year ago, selected them because they were cheap and we didn't know if we would actually use them. We do. Lots. Our daughter-in-law has a Naish which is a much nice, and more expensive, board. It also inflates, deflates and stores easily with the 12v pump.
Enjoy the ride.
Quick update:
The majority of responses reflected Tayana42's view. Thanks Tayana and everyone else for the feedback. I didn't want the windage of a rigid board and I couldn't find any two piece ones available in the EU, so I have gone ahead and ordered an inflatable one.

I have bought a Naish One Nisco 12'6 Air SUP Board
It is listed as suitable for: "Touring-Racing-All-around Cruising".

The inflatable I briefly tried last summer was much wider, but I would prefer something a little less stable that I can grown into .

I have been tracking its jaunt across Europe. It went from the UK to the Netherlands to Hungary and then Rumania. It has just hit Thessaloniki in Greece, so I hope it will arrive next week.

I can't wait to try to out. The current water temperature will give me a LOT of incentive to be a quick learner .

SWL

This is the website image:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	98760  

Old 12-03-2015, 12:21   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

That sounds great Lass, any ideas for the larger male? I am 210 and like to take my grandson (70) with me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:36   #38

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Quick update:

The majority of responses reflected Tayana42's view. Thanks Tayana and everyone else for the feedback. I didn't want the windage of a rigid board and I couldn't find any two piece ones available in the EU, so I have gone ahead and ordered an inflatable one.

I have bought a Naish One Nisco 12'6 Air SUP Board

It is listed as suitable for: "Touring-Racing-All-around Cruising".

The inflatable I briefly tried last summer was much wider, but I would prefer something a little less stable that I can grown into .

I have been tracking its jaunt across Europe. It went from the UK to the Netherlands to Hungary and then Rumania. It has just hit Thessaloniki in Greece, so I hope it will arrive next week.

I can't wait to try to out. The current water temperature will give me a LOT of incentive to be a quick learner .

SWL

This is the website image:

My son fiancé has that model and is very happy with it. My son has a hard Naish which he likes for surfing but he often borrows hers for flat water.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:47   #39

Boat: Niagara 35

Thanks for the update, SWL. We all want to hear how it goes.

We have very constrained space, so I'm thinking of buying a SUP instead of a kayak. then I can also sit on it and use it with a kayak paddle.

I love the ergonomics and power of a kayak. A SUP never feels that way to me.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 20:41   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
That sounds great Lass, any ideas for the larger male? I am 210 and like to take my grandson (70) with me.
The board I selected has a max recommended rider weight of 230 lbs (104 kg), as does the wider more stable Naish Glide Air 12'0". With your grandson on board that limit would unfortunately be exceeded.

I wasn't focussed on max weight during my search, but I don't recall seeing any inflatables that took any more than this. Easiest thing would probably be to email one of the big distributors and ask for advice. It would save a lot of hunting.

SWL

Old 13-03-2015, 01:34   #41
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
I'd contact Uli, C4, and maybe Joe Blair SUP and see what they say. I know I've seen some 300 lb Hawaiians on SUPS.

I did my typical overkill evaluation on inflatable SUPs preparing to buy two and even had a storage spot where our holding tank used to be. Then we ran across a deal on two Naish Nalu hard boards 11'6 that were third hand, and we bought those instead. But I WAS going to buy a Uli inflatable for myself, a smaller one for my wife. I was 245 at the time.

The secret with the inflatables is that they need to have high pressure ( relatively speaking) to have the stiffness you want for paddling and balancing. The cheaper inflatables suck. Like trying to stand on an air mattress. So I'd recommend not buying inflatable SUPs because of price, because you'll get a crummy SUP. If you buy the inflatable for it's storage flexibility, get a good quality one from a good manufacturer and you'll be okay.
Old 13-03-2015, 06:11   #42

We had a gentleman (6'4" and 300 lbs) purchase a Red Paddle Co 12-6 Explorer. At 15 PSI he was taking on a little water. He then took it up to 20 PSI and was thrilled with it.
Holly Harris
Old 13-03-2015, 07:54   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Holly, I bought a board from you yesterday that is spost to be good till 300 #. I hope I haven't dropped a boat buck in error.
BTW- nice website.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 08:30   #44

Hi Newt:
I don't know which one you bought (we sold several) but I mentioned the Explorer 12-6, as I know for a fact that someone that size purchased one and was happy. But typically the big 12-6 boards that are 6 inches thick and can get up to 15 PSI or higher can hold quite a bit of weight.

Feel free to call (number on website) if you want to ask questions. But if you have any issues, let us know. We're very easy!
Holly

Quote:
Holly, I bought a board from you yesterday that is spost to be good till 300 #. I hope I haven't dropped a boat buck in error.
BTW- nice website.
Old 16-03-2015, 08:50   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Whoooo hoooooo!
My paddle board has arrived! It completed its little two week tour of Europe on Saturday and I lugged it back to our anchorage this afternoon.

It is sheer FUN . And challenging. And exhausting. I love all that .

I spent an hour doing a circuit of our bay, didn't fall off despite a lot of wobbling initially, but never really got the hang of turning. My turning circle is huge. Does anyone have any tips? Do I need to be shifting weight or turning my body? And what is the optimum way to paddle to turn? It was particularly hard when I was beam onto a small amount of chop.

12'6" is massive in the flesh. It does fit nicely across-way on the deck behind the cockpit, so even inflated windage is not going to be a problem. I am thrilled with it.

SWL

Getting up for the first time:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	98942