Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2016, 07:19   #76
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,113
Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 07:52   #77
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,108
Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I have two tanks with a scuba system and a hookah system on our boat, and use each differently. When scrubbing/scraping the bottom, I go through much more air so the hookah makes much more sense and is less cumbersome. I empty a 12v battery in about 45 minutes with hookah, but I chose 12v to be portable. The tank system is there for scuba diving with a friend or If I need to head down a little deeper to untangle an anchor mess. Hookah is also fun for shallow dives from the dinghy.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go with a 110v compressor like the one pictured for use on the boat running off the inverter and house bank. Total cost for the compressor about $130 in that case, and just get a couple of extra bottles for the remote stuff. But I'd still like to find out what the pro uses in the way of a corrosion resistant model. The cheap store bought models degrade pretty quickly in the marine air environment. The one I purchased was from a Florida company called Hookamax, and it turned out to be a cheap Chinese pick of crap.
Hi Ken,

If you want a top of the line hookah, electric or gas, Brownie's Third lung in Ft Lauderdale is it. They are probably not the best deal, certainly not cheap but they are tops. I know the guys there and they are very quality oriented. They used to be very involved in high end, tech diving but have focused on compressors. A big part of their business now is building compressor systems for megayachts and you can't cut corners in either market.

By the way, when I mentioned tanks I was thinking about a tank a surface supplied air source instead of a hookah. Even working hard on a bottom scrub I would think you could get 30 minutes or so from a tank on a 30' hose.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:10   #78
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,113
Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Ken,

If you want a top of the line hookah, electric or gas, Brownie's Third lung in Ft Lauderdale is it. They are probably not the best deal, certainly not cheap but they are tops. I know the guys there and they are very quality oriented. They used to be very involved in high end, tech diving but have focused on compressors. A big part of their business now is building compressor systems for megayachts and you can't cut corners in either market.

By the way, when I mentioned tanks I was thinking about a tank a surface supplied air source instead of a hookah. Even working hard on a bottom scrub I would think you could get 30 minutes or so from a tank on a 30' hose.
Well here's the decision: This 110v oil free compressor is about half the cost of a tank and takes up about the same space, and plugged into your boat's a/c power will give you all the time you need. Kept inside it probably won't rust. Our present HookaRust has taken several trips in the dinghy where it was exposed to salt water, and even though I washed it off with fresh... it still rusted badly.

Where I'm at presently, I'll most likely use the one I have till it quits, then use my two bottles and replace the HookaRust compressor with the Porter Cable 110v or one of the ones suggested by Mr. Fstbttms. If I continue after that with 12v, it'll be with a quality compressor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	131710  
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:21   #79
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12,722
Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

kenomac- Bear in mind that no shop will fill a scuba tank unless it has an annual VIP inspection ($20-25) and a hydro test every 5 years after new ($40-50) so the scuba tank will cost you an extra $30-40 per year, every year, no matter if you use it once or 100 times. And scuba regulators should get some routine servicing, as many use an elastomer diaphragm, and if that ages a bit and splits underwater, you're inhaling the ocean, which can be somewhat disconcerting. Note that I don't argue whether the precautions and regulations are or aren't necessary or rational just that they are something to be aware of.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:27   #80
Registered User
 
admiralslater's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Toronto summer rest somewhere else
Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Posts: 602
Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

I was looking for a inexpensive sit on Kayak. I ended up wit two and a power dive hooka system with lots of hose and a splitter that allows two people to snorkel together. The compressor is smallish and has clips to go on the battery I leave the compressor on the boat for the moment. The accumulation tank is in line so floats about as a dive buoy. I already have used it to unfoul an anchour. I think I will like it
__________________
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 09:29   #81
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,113
Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
kenomac- Bear in mind that no shop will fill a scuba tank unless it has an annual VIP inspection ($20-25) and a hydro test every 5 years after new ($40-50) so the scuba tank will cost you an extra $30-40 per year, every year, no matter if you use it once or 100 times. And scuba regulators should get some routine servicing, as many use an elastomer diaphragm, and if that ages a bit and splits underwater, you're inhaling the ocean, which can be somewhat disconcerting. Note that I don't argue whether the precautions and regulations are or aren't necessary or rational just that they are something to be aware of.
Thanks, but I already knew that. It's not a problem around here, I've had no problems getting the tanks filled. My regulator was rebuilt last year, and of course, it was giving me problems this year. Good thing there's two on every scuba setup. But you brought up a thought... Hookah systems don't have a backup emergency regulator.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 15:17   #82
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,108
Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks, but I already knew that. It's not a problem around here, I've had no problems getting the tanks filled. My regulator was rebuilt last year, and of course, it was giving me problems this year. Good thing there's two on every scuba setup. But you brought up a thought... Hookah systems don't have a backup emergency regulator.
But you're normally no more than 30' deep, a very easy depth for a free ascent. Just don't forget to exhale on the way up.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:59   #83
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 299
Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

Exactly. I think powerdive / powersnorkel uses Thomas compressors so you could use the same model as them. A pressure tank with a pressure switch should also improve the efficiency.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Look for a Thomas Industries or Gast compressor. These are the brands found in the best hookahs, regardless of whether they are gas-powered, 110-volt or 12-volt.




Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________

__________________
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12vdc Power Transfer Switch / Relay local343 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 0 11-01-2011 20:50
Laptop Power - Direct 12vdc? MarkJ Marine Electronics 41 14-02-2010 16:06
AC Power Adapters and 12vdc Appliances Meck Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 8 09-10-2009 08:00
How much electric power is needed to power a 40 - 45' cat at 5 knots? KHK007 Multihull Sailboats 40 18-03-2008 06:16


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.