Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 10:11   #61

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

I have had a Brownie Third lung for years. Nice quiet Honda engine. Great for any underwater work. It has a tube but I usually just set it on the boat. A buddy who does bottom work has his set up on a hand cart with an electric motor and 30 amp plug. All his dive stuff and tools goes on the cart and he just plugs it in at the slip. always starts on the first pull. Lighter than a scuba tank and much more convienient.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:39   #62

Boat: Seawind 1000

Just got on to this thread.
I too am considering building a Hookah setup for hull cleaning.
I already have a compressor and 15lt aluminium tank with a 150psi pressure switch
Have attached details on the compressor if anyone has built one, would this unit do the job.
Cheers

Name:   compressor-px07.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  4.7 KB

COM-PX07BARE 12volt compressor 3/4 hp engine 100% duty cycle 170ltr free flow rate (approx 3.5cfm) recommended working pressure 0-150psi maximum pressure 200psi - 35 amp maximum draw. Fan cooled engine and cylinder head, oil free design, 3/8npt ported head, rebuildable design, crank case fed - external washable air filter, cast aluminum legs, special piston valve design for maximum performance - MUST USE CHECK VALVE TO PREVENT BACK FLOW+ 80 AMP FUSE - NEVER OIL THIS COMPRESSOR Suitable for industrial and automotive use. Up to 30L tanks. Best used with an air tank.
Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 17:21   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

In the UK a hydraulic test is only required if you want to transport the bottles (tanks / cylinders) by road. We are lucky to have a dive shop in the harbour who is happy to fill with an anual internal inspection which he does for free if I present the bottle with the valve allready unscrewed, although he does inspect the thread carefully, and of course he gets to do all of my bottle fills. I havent done this for a few years so things may have changed but it may be worth trying if you have a dive shop near your boat.
Old 23-09-2016, 14:07   #64

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Just digging up an old thread.

I like the idea of the hookah gear for a few dives on reefs. I prefer ≤10m dives and I like the idea of not annoying everyone else with loud petrol compressors.

Can anyone recommend a 12V system that will do the job. A lot of the links above have died and hoping there may be better gear around now.

Don't mind making my own from quality compressor. Is 3.5cfm enough? I don't think it sounds like enough.
Old 23-09-2016, 16:41   #65

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Its still straightforward to build your own. Here is a 12v compressor with a tank and a auto shut-off. JaeEagle.com

Add this regulator https://www.amazon.com/Brownies-Thir.../dp/B00D3PIO8Y

Add the hose of you choice and this filter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Add a battery and you have a first class 12v hookah system.

Have fun.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 21:08   #66
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post

Yes, you will have a 12v hookah system. First class? Umm... not so much.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 14:55   #67

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Talking Re: Power Snorkel 12vdc Electric Floating Hookah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yes, you will have a 12v hookah system. First class? Umm... not so much.
I've heard first class hookahs are expensive but what would make a top quality system. I did find the Brownie web site and the VS335 looks the part just expensive. It has the variable speed which could be more efficient but probably no more than a holding tank like in Pitchondesigns post.

Battery life and recharge power consumption is an issue for me and they use Odyssey batteries which we had a few problems with in race cars.

The VS335 can be upgraded to 4 regulators and used to 10m, I think mostly we would have 1, 2, or 3. Might wind up tied in nots
Old 24-09-2016, 15:48   #68
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'll tell you what does not make for a first class hookah- a cheap Chinese-made compressor with a mild steel accumulator tank. Not durable, not reliable and certainly not rust-free.
Old 24-09-2016, 22:09   #69

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

The Brownie variable speed system is a great system and compact. Its downside is price at between $3,500 and $4,500. The DYI system with the tank can be built for about $600 including battery. That is about a 6x price different. I have been using the 'cheap Chinese compressor with the mild steel accumulator tank' for years without problems. The Brownie system is compact and can be floated. The accumulator tank system would be limited to a decent size dinghy and would need protection from water intrusion. It all depends on your needs and depth of your wallet.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 01:54   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I'll tell you what does not make for a first class hookah- a cheap Chinese-made compressor with a mild steel accumulator tank. Not durable, not reliable and certainly not rust-free.
Fstbttms,

Can you please recommend a good corrosion resistant 12v compressor? I have the exact model pictured in an earlier post (yellow/gold with handle) and you're right, corrosion and rust is a big problem even when cared for.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 06:38   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Why wouldn't it work to just fill a standard 80 cu ft Al tank and leave it on deck or in the dink and connect a long hose to the first stage on the tank? Last time I did a shallow reef dive with an Al80 I spent about an hour in the water and came back with 800-900 psi in the tank so you should get plenty of bottom time at 20-30' unless you're working hard or a real air hog.

The only down side I see is getting tank fills in out of the way places.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 06:54   #72
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Why wouldn't it work to just fill a standard 80 cu ft Al tank and leave it on deck or in the dink and connect a long hose to the first stage on the tank? Last time I did a shallow reef dive with an Al80 I spent about an hour in the water and came back with 800-900 psi in the tank so you should get plenty of bottom time at 20-30' unless you're working hard or a real air hog.

I have two tanks with a scuba system and a hookah system on our boat, and use each differently. When scrubbing/scraping the bottom, I go through much more air so the hookah makes much more sense and is less cumbersome. I empty a 12v battery in about 45 minutes with hookah, but I chose 12v to be portable. The tank system is there for scuba diving with a friend or If I need to head down a little deeper to untangle an anchor mess. Hookah is also fun for shallow dives from the dinghy.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go with a 110v compressor like the one pictured for use on the boat running off the inverter and house bank. Total cost for the compressor about $130 in that case, and just get a couple of extra bottles for the remote stuff. But I'd still like to find out what the pro uses in the way of a corrosion resistant model. The cheap store bought models degrade pretty quickly in the marine air environment. The one I purchased was from a Florida company called Hookamax, and it turned out to be a cheap Chinese piece of crap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	131708  
Old 25-09-2016, 07:09   #73

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

It does work, that's what I do. 2 tanks and dedicated regulators on a 60' hose. Can always put the tanks on the BC and dive, but around the boat leave the tank on the boat.

Yep, it's somewhat of a pain to get the tanks filled, but for no more than I use 'em, it works great. And a helluva lot cheaper.

60' Hose = $140, Reg. from Ebay = $40
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 07:13   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchondesign View Post
Its still straightforward to build your own. Here is a 12v compressor with a tank and a auto shut-off. JaeEagle.com

Add this regulator https://www.amazon.com/Brownies-Thir.../dp/B00D3PIO8Y

Add the hose of you choice and this filter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have fun.
Nope, you'll have an unreliable, third rate, rusty piece of junk. My Hookamax system came with that exact same compressor which rusted up nicely after only two seasons. Absolute rubbish that I continuously need to repair.

Maybe it'll make a nice anchor sometime in the near future.
Old 25-09-2016, 07:18   #75
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Fstbttms,

Can you please recommend a good corrosion resistant 12v compressor?
Look for a Thomas Industries or Gast compressor. These are the brands found in the best hookahs, regardless of whether they are gas-powered, 110-volt or 12-volt.