Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 21:19   #46

Boat: looking again
Re: Glass on a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Bordeaux? Brunellos? my good man, I only stock the best quality local pinot noir and shiraz, dont call me a prima donna...
actually, this thread was about glassware, lol hence the ''glass on sailboat'' heading!
Old 10-06-2013, 21:22   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Buy her out so you do not have remove the items you like onboard.
that is the plan, but apparently she wants to fight me tooth and nail on this. oh boy! this might get fun! she has already removed things from the boat. i've got the cash to buy her out on my boat, that i found and i registered. i'll keep you all posted!
Old 10-06-2013, 21:24   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

We threw out all the plastic plates and cups years ago and replaced with a combination of stonewear, corelle (sp?) and normal ceramic mugs/cups. We still have some plastic wine glasses for beach or carrying to other boats, but use cheap glass stemware on board. Yes, they sometimes get broken, but at two bucks each we can live with it. As someone else as said, cleaning up broken glass is no worse than in a house... and most of our breakage comes from clumsiness, not sea conditions.

And as to the "partner" -- sounds more like a dictatorship than a partnership to me!

Cheers,

Jim
exactly! she started barking orders at me from day one! ugh! 10 days of boat ownership together and we're enemies now!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:23   #49
Armchair Bucketeer

Good agreements make good partners! If your present agreement not working, time to write another one. Fair enuf that she does not want to use certain things onboard (whether glasses or whatever) but no reason why she should have a problem with things being stored onboard (whether "yours" or the boat's) that are unused by her......you will likely have to reciprocate.

Me would be looking for different boat use days! and having a mechanism for selling up all written in the agreement. Downside is that you might not end up with the boat - upside is you won't be "married" to her!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53   #50

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Mich! You can always sell your stake in the boat, to her or to someone else. Who needs a belly-aching sailing partner!

Mauritz
Old 11-06-2013, 03:00   #51

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimichele View Post
exactly! she started barking orders at me from day one! ugh! 10 days of boat ownership together and we're enemies now!

I do hope you have a formal written agreement for this partnership. I would consult a lawyer before getting into the disolving of the partnership unless you have a formal procedure in the written partnership.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:29   #52

Quote:
actually, this thread was about glassware, lol hence the ''glass on sailboat'' heading!

I'm sure you think it's about glassware, but it's really about a boat partner with whom you can't even agree about glasses!

It will get worse before it gets better. Get out now.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:38   #53
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
thanks for all your responses! have been busy all day dealing with boat drama. she doesn't want to be bought out, i have had this boat for 3 months before taking her on as a partner. blah blah blah. maybe i'll post it in another thread. anyway, the glass is staying! like someone said ''life is too short to drink good wine out of plastic''. that's all i really need to know and i already knew that! lol. thanks again! ::::

Of course you knew that if you drink wine.

The people who said this isn't really about glass are right IMO. It's a power struggle.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:58   #54

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Drinking good wine out of plastic is like making love with a raincoat.

WE have porcelain plates and glass glasses. WE also have some crystal wine glasses for those special bottles, and we have crystal cognac glasses for that.

WE have rarely broken anything. Stuff a sock or some paper towels into the glass and it will never break due to bad weather.

WE have sailed through 40+ knot gales and 3-4 meter high waves and never had a damn thing break.

Kick your partner off unto the hard and sail away, drinking some champagne out of glass flutes (we have a set of those also)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17   #55

Re: Glass on a Sailboat

Hiya Mich! Find your partner someone who can keep her "busy"...if you get my drift. When you get her hooked up for good, she will not even remember what a sailboat looks like.

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 11-06-2013, 21:58   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Good agreements make good partners! If your present agreement not working, time to write another one. Fair enuf that she does not want to use certain things onboard (whether glasses or whatever) but no reason why she should have a problem with things being stored onboard (whether "yours" or the boat's) that are unused by her......you will likely have to reciprocate.

Me would be looking for different boat use days! and having a mechanism for selling up all written in the agreement. Downside is that you might not end up with the boat - upside is you won't be "married" to her!
We have disagreed on everything. She is a bully and it was my boat before bringing her on just 10 days ago. Tomorrow she buys me out and I already have another one I'm checking out tomorrow afternoon. I feel like I'm dodging a bullet. I decided to let my attachment to the boat go. No more partners for me. The last 10 days have been hell! lol
Old 11-06-2013, 22:06   #57

Hiya Mich! You'll be just fine. Some learning experiences are painful, but you get to be a better person once they are over. You should be very excited in finding a new boat. Keep us posted, for continuous moral support, among other silly support. Good luck!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 11-06-2013, 22:09   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Mich! You'll be just fine. Some learning experiences are painful, but you get to be a better person once they are over. You should be very excited in finding a new boat. Keep us posted, for continuous moral support, among other silly support. Good luck!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Thank you! Hopefully she never finds this forum, lol
Old 13-06-2013, 08:16   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Okay, found a Catalina 27. Should know more this week. Needs some tlc, but she is bone dry!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130613_081607.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	62454   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130613_081628.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	62455  

Old 13-06-2013, 08:49   #60

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Should be great for you, Michelle... if there turns up to be problems with the Cat 27, just keep looking, you will find the right boat for you. The most important thing is to move on with your life and leave the bad parts behind. I've done it a few times myself and never looked back. Have a lady friend who is in her 60's now, never married, who turns over her partner every 7 years. None had ever last longer and most less... she is one of the happiest, must well adjusted gal I know. She also happens to be blind and skis with a guide!
You seem like the type who is going to come out a winner regardless of what/who is against you. Good luck in your search for your soulboat. Send us all some pics when you settle on the right one. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat