Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 12:29   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Galapagos to Marquesas run

Thank you all, I'll post some more of our times here in the Marquesas as we get some internet.

Currently on Ua Pou having been on Fatu Hiva, Nuku Hiva, Hiva Oa and Tahauta. We'll spend the cyclone season here in the Marquesas.................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 15:27   #17

Boat: TBD

Thank you for this post.

As crossing the pacific and exploring French Polynesia has always been my dream since childhood, I feel both inspired and a little bit envious.

Congratulations !

PS : Is that weird that I get more inspired by tales of struggles (with great Pay-off) than boats having it easy ? Are we all masochists ?
Bob Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 16:21   #18

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Morane View Post
Thank you for this post.

As crossing the pacific and exploring French Polynesia has always been my dream since childhood, I feel both inspired and a little bit envious.

Congratulations !

PS : Is that weird that I get more inspired by tales of struggles (with great Pay-off) than boats having it easy ? Are we all masochists ?

Are sailors who enjoy crossing oceans akin to cycle tourers, who also pick a slow and difficult mode of transportation, for the joy of the activity/lifestyle rather than to jet or drive to their destination?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 16:37   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To me, the bicyclist analogy doesn't work because we who sail our own homes (and our boat is our only home), we are able to stay longer than one can with bicycle camping, and it takes a boat to go between the island countries.

I don't think masochism enters into it at all. We accept the discomfort of our bodies, because it's inevitable, on occasion, not because we LIKE it. It would be madness to claim one liked being cold, wet, and terrified. Those are things we survive, if we're lucky.

Ann
Old 12-10-2018, 17:01   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

Carsten thank you for that. Not only is your prose lively and fluid but it’s such a nice change to read a passage account on here where nothing really bad happened!

As far as your back goes I’ve found that staying active is a good way of warding back pain off. Cockpits are generally uncomfortable for extended sitting or repairing in one position, and the constant efforts of your body to “stabilize” itself can lead to tight sore muscles, which in turn can contribute to your back tightening up and causing pain and immobility. Get up and move around every 20 minutes even if you don’t have an explicit reason to.

Big swells and wind on a pitch black night, hearing them break and rush around you when you can’t see squat past the gunwale is anxiety provoking. There’s no way of getting around it.

So glad you had a good passage and thanks again for the lovely read.
Old 12-10-2018, 17:22   #21

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
To me, the bicyclist analogy doesn't work because we who sail our own homes (and our boat is our only home), we are able to stay longer than one can with bicycle camping, and it takes a boat to go between the island countries.

I don't think masochism enters into it at all. We accept the discomfort of our bodies, because it's inevitable, on occasion, not because we LIKE it. It would be madness to claim one liked being cold, wet, and terrified. Those are things we survive, if we're lucky.

Ann
You are probably right.
It may be more of a "balance thing" where going through a bit of hardships highlight the pay-offs and makes the highs seems higher.
Bob Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 10:50   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann
Of course we are masochists Ann. No one in their right mind would spend tons of money on something that they have to spend the rest of their lives repairing (in exotic places where spare parts are non-existent) and all their money, just to be wet, cold and tired in the bargain.

Ok - there's the sunsets and sunrises - that's a redeeming factor. The starry nights - also redeeming. Dolphins, whales, manta rays, wonderful fellow cruisers you meet and sincerely friendly local people - also redeeming.

well maybe not masochistic but ya gotta be crazy....................

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 14-10-2018, 10:58   #23

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

since you seem to like my style of writing and enjoyed this piece about galapagos to marquesas.

I just posted (from our website) the description of our passage from Antigua to the Panama Canal

hope you all enjoy that too

here's the link:

Antigua to Panama run - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Tags
Galapagos, marquesas