Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Bikes (folding or regular)
worth having on a cruising boat 29 72.50%
more trouble dealingwith than they are worth 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 16:30   #91

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Folding Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindJunkie View Post
Have you considered a Paratrooper by Montague? 26" wheels make it a fantastic mountain bike. It doesn't fold as small as the dedicated folding bikes, but it's basically a full-sized mountain bike and far more stable when riding. I made a bag and a shoulder strap for mine. They weigh about 28 lbs stripped, cost about $850-$950 new, have front and rear disk brakes, 24-speeds, excellent components. I think I can cram mine in my engine room (41' Gulfstar Ketch) but haven't actually tried it yet...it might require removal of both wheels. One of the nicest features is that when folded, one of the handlebar ends allows you to lift it just like a suitcase, though you wouldn't want to carry it very far that way...hence the shoulder strap I made. BTW, when folded, use an adjustable strap or three with plastic buckles to hold things together.
Nice looking bike, but, in my experience it's way too big and heavy (specs say 32lbs) to dinghy back and forth to shore.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 16:38   #92

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I can't understand how weight would be an issue( a lot of the 20 inch wheeled folding bikes I looked at had steel frames) but I do understand the size being a little big and the fact you have to take the front tire off to fully collapse it.( being a pain even though it's quick release). The reason I took a year" shopping" was I was trying to decide whether to get a full size folding bike, a 20 inch wheel folding bike or a cheap bike that I could just leave locked up somewhere, or a motorcycle. I'm pretty happy with my choice. PS one advantage of having to take the front wheel off is it makes it into two lighter pieces to transport. Edit: this may be the most important comment I make. I am absolutely positive if I was on a 20 inch wheel bike and that car( read earlier post) backed up in front of me I would be in the hospital.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 17:11   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I can't understand how weight would be an issue( a lot of the 20 inch wheeled folding bikes I looked at had steel frames) but I do understand the size being a little big and the fact you have to take the front tire off to fully collapse it.( quick release). The reason I took a year" shopping" was I was trying to decide whether to get a full size folding bike, a 20 inch wheel folding bike or a cheap bike that I could just leave locked up somewhere, or a motorcycle. I'm pretty happy with my choice. PS one advantage of having to take the front wheel off is it makes it into two lighter pieces to transport. Edit: this may be the most important comment I make. I am absolutely positive if I was on a 20 inch wheel bike and that car( read earlier post) backed up in front of me I would be in the hospital.
Have you ever transported a folding bike in a dinghy? Stood in the dinghy and lifted it to a dock at shoulder height? Fit 2 bikes in a dinghy with 2 people without damaging the dinghy fabric?

My folding bikes are 20" aluminum frame and weigh 24 pounds. I've had heavier folding bikes, weight is a huge factor.
Old 26-05-2017, 17:16   #94

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

If lifting a bike shoulder height from a dinghy is too difficult, why can't you tie a rope to it and haul it up to the dock or the boat? Seems like you're trying to make it too difficult.

Maybe you should watch little Nike of White Spot Pirates carry her bike in a one person kayak with another woman in the kayak plus other gear.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 17:17   #95

If your bikes weigh 24lbs it's within a few pounds of the paratrooper minus the front tire. So weight is not an issue in comparison. I just have to add that I've been transporting full size bicycles in my dinghy since I was a teenager, never damaged the dinghy but almost always got salt spray on the bike.
Old 26-05-2017, 19:08   #96

Quote:
If your bikes weigh 24lbs it's within a few pounds of the paratrooper minus the front tire. So weight is not an issue in comparison. I just have to add that I've been transporting full size bicycles in my dinghy since I was a teenager, never damaged the dinghy but almost always got salt spray on the bike.
Good Luck!
Old 26-05-2017, 19:08   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
If lifting a bike shoulder height from a dinghy is too difficult, why can't you tie a rope to it and haul it up to the dock or the boat? Seems like you're trying to make it too difficult.

Maybe you should watch little Nike of White Spot Pirates carry her bike in a one person kayak with another woman in the kayak plus other gear.
And what bike do you load in your dinghy?
Old 26-05-2017, 19:41   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Good Luck!
A lot of people will say: when a person's successful it's because they're lucky[emoji206] when they fail it's because they're incompetent [emoji572]
Old 26-05-2017, 19:58   #99

Quote:
Wow I just bought one off of Craigslist. It's the nicest riding bike I've ever owned
Been looking at them for a while now and pulled the trigger on a new one 5mins ago, bit more expensive down this way though....

Weight is a non-issue (15kg isn't much anyway) having the freedom to take them of the beaten track where I like to go is well worth it, and the folding up is going to make it so much easier than carting around my full size mountain bike, can't wait to get it

PARATROOPER 24 SPEED GST included - Montague Bikes Australia

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 20:15   #100

That is a lot more expensive than here I don't know if it's too late to change your order or if it can be shipped to the Australia but eBay has them all day for $900
Old 26-05-2017, 20:18   #101

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-05-26-23-16-38-1.png
Views:	158
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	148523 make that 800. There's plenty with 18 inch frames if that's what you want and there's also slightly different models for much less.
Old 26-05-2017, 20:44   #102

Quote:
Attachment 148523 make that 800. There's plenty with 18 inch frames if that's what you want and there's also slightly different models for much less.
Thanks for that, but when you do the currency conversion and add postage (no international free shipping) it's actually more than what I paid, and for a limited time I get free postage + carry bag montague bikes australia plus I get it next week

Old 26-05-2017, 20:55   #103

Ahhh. I just assumed it was USD. Bloody Americans.✌( yeah I know that's British but closest I can get to an Australian accent)
Old 26-05-2017, 21:01   #104

Quote:
Ahhh. I just assumed it was USD. Bloody Americans.✌( yeah I know that's British but closest I can get to an Australian accent)
Lol....

Can get free international postage here but hell no!....

Montague Paratrooper Folding Mountain Bike 2017 (Frame Size: 18") | eBay

Old 26-05-2017, 21:33   #105

It's getting late but I just wanted to make one more comment. I've owned Raleigh's which are excellent bikes, a Fuji and another top brand bike that I can't remember the brand. I've had friends with very expensive bikes let me ride them, fixies and carbon fiber and you name it but I swear this paratrooper is the nicest riding bike I've ever been on.