Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 13:51   #331
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Nice, Nick! I'm partial to cherry myself, especially the way it darkens as it ages. That's quite a rig.
Thank you Hud, we're very happy with it. I always try to buy something from people who I can identify with and I believe that Bob Tiffin is for motorhomes what Steve Dashew is for sailboats; both engineers like me and going way beyond what others in their industry will do.

It's an 2010 model and I bought it from ex cruisers too

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 14:02   #332

Boat: too many

Watched the video. From someone who appreciates the merits of a Sundeer, I wouldn't expect anything less than either a Prevost or Allegro. The selling of your "small piece of the Internet" has led to some fine adventures for you and Josie.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 14:38   #333

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Watched the video. From someone who appreciates the merits of a Sundeer, I wouldn't expect anything less than either a Prevost or Allegro. The selling of your "small piece of the Internet" has led to some fine adventures for you and Josie.
Yah, should have sold a bit bigger piece for a Prevost

cheers,
Nick.

Old 09-06-2012, 15:34   #334

You looked at the Prevosts? They are a bit of coin aren't they?
Old 09-06-2012, 18:13   #335

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
You looked at the Prevosts? They are a bit of coin aren't they?
Prevost and Newell are like the Contests and Halberg Rassy's of the coaches... and I wouldn't buy those even if I could afford them, which I might I don't dislike them but there is just a better match for me and my weird view of the world

Now they beat me up both on this forum and the Tiffin forum I think I'll start a photography thread there too as my safehouse there

ciao!
Nick.
Old 09-06-2012, 18:43   #336

Aah, Nick, your so lovable, how could anyone beat you up?
Old 09-06-2012, 18:57   #337

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Aah, Nick, your so lovable, how could anyone beat you up?
It must be because I'm so shy and politically correct

The idiots over there don't even know that there are 60 minutes in a degree of lat/long. I'll try to keep them there so they don't come here with boats making me mad like some already do here

They all talk about clueless stuff and I need them to tell me which places to visit, which campgrounds to avoid etc. so I'm still trying to hang on but I've been ready to delete my account there a couple of times already

Nah, most are okay and there's lots of good tech info. It's nice for a change to have something that is common; I can just look up what I need to test or change, as so many came before me. Coming from a boat, it's all a piece of cake. It also helped that I used to be licensed to drive battle tanks

cheers,
Nick.
Old 09-06-2012, 19:04   #338

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW, I'm still looking at the official warning for indecent behavior while the post it is about is still NOT deleted: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post898011

And I had to laugh about my little animated picture again. I can't believe getting whacked for that as being a pervert and then not deleting the post that was so offending that an official warning was deemed necessary. And I still find it funny and not indecent at all

cheers,
Nick.
Old 09-06-2012, 19:34   #339

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Bruhahahaha....thanks for the link.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:37   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi
BTW, I'm still looking at the official warning for indecent behavior while the post it is about is still NOT deleted: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post898011

And I had to laugh about my little animated picture again. I can't believe getting whacked for that as being a pervert and then not deleting the post that was so offending that an official warning was deemed necessary. And I still find it funny and not indecent at all

cheers,
Nick.
I guess my point of offense has changed over the years. I see so much on regular tv or hear on radio- not much offends me-especially if funny.

My husband has also recently gone off the deep end & bought an RV. I am still in love with the boat but he is interested in land vacations now. He doesn't have to crawl on the floor to fix. I am still working & we live aboard but would like to keep the boat in some warm location in 2 yrs when I retire. How is the time split working for you?
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 19:55   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

cheers,
Nick.
Nick,

You do know that I'm the OP of that thread and it started with me posting a picture of an infant floating above the cockpit of a cat in a suspended swing with my caption......"As Darwin pointed out, the species evolves and adapts."
And it was my Darwin theory that I was attributing the increase in popularity. But as threads do on CF, the intention of levity by the OP was ignored and it ran on its own fuel.
Old 09-06-2012, 20:20   #342

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I guess my point of offense has changed over the years. I see so much on regular tv or hear on radio- not much offends me-especially if funny.

My husband has also recently gone off the deep end & bought an RV. I am still in love with the boat but he is interested in land vacations now. He doesn't have to crawl on the floor to fix. I am still working & we live aboard but would like to keep the boat in some warm location in 2 yrs when I retire. How is the time split working for you?
Thanks for the kind words... all I ever tried to do there is make people smile and defuse the tense situation of the thread. Happy to find that there's people that share my apparently weird sense of humor. We'll persist!

The time split is very new to us as we just had a couple of hectic weeks outfitting the bus while driving it through 4 states and checking every system. But yes, I think we both like it a lot. However.... outfitting the bus cost way more than we expected. I think you must count on 15-20% of the cost of the RV is again spent on what goes into it to make it livable. You need everything double because you now have two places that need everything.

We are the kind of people who have to go and explore, hate touristy things, air-planes, governments and people who don't care about other people. The best place for us to be is aboard our boat, cruising in countries like Panama where old fashioned values like respect and honor are still important. Where people smile in a booming economy instead of looking hateful at everybody else in a bankrupt society. It's not the whole world going bankrupt, just the 1st world.

But cruising in a bus in higher latitudes during the hot and rainy tropical summer is pretty good too and we find there are still many people like us out there and it's pretty easy to connect with them. There's just a lot of weirdo's too and I don't mean the good weirdo kind like one finds on boats but the other kind that find wearing gold watches more important than wearing a smile. At least they are easy to recognize and avoid haha

I found that good folk in RVs are often war veterans... they feel pretty much like the outcasts we sailors are. I was born in '64 but easily connect with some Korea vets I met with their RV's. There were also ex-navy folks that moved in the same group. Must be the DeckOfficer type

All in all we're confident that we will like it a lot, but I don't think I will ever get an emotional bond with the bus like I have with the boat. The bus is a means to get what I want while the boat is part of my soul

cheers,
Nick.
Old 09-06-2012, 21:27   #343

I think we are on the same wavelength, my last land yacht.....

400 sq ft, 3 slides, a walk-in closet in the master bedroom with washer/dryer. 8 1/2' headroom.
Old 10-06-2012, 15:57   #344

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Well, we emigrated from Holland and Europe 10 years ago, so we only visit family now and then and are not so much used to the fuel prices there anymore

Panama is like in between the figures from west and mid US you posted, so for us (we drove the bus through NC, SC, GA and FL and will stay in the south and east this year) it's a bit cheaper in the south/eastern US. We paid $4 for a gallon of diesel and $3.50 - $3.75 for gas. The gas was most expensive in North Carolina.

Strange thing is that diesel is more expensive than gas in the US but cheaper than gas in Panama

ciao!
Nick.
Nick,

If you get to SW Florida and need a fix for that habit of bouncing in the waves with a rag in the air, let me know, we'll go for a day sail. Heck, I'll even buy you a beer!

(Beware, I have a real sail boat, not one of those half-boats! )

Seriously, holler if you get close!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:33   #345

I'm glad others have the same ideas. I agree that I will never feel toward the coach how I feel for my boat. First reason, it's not as romantic as being on the water. I'm most comfortable at anchor out away from crowds. Where I can be snorkeling or diving. We like cruising Mexico for the same reason you like Panama Second, I'm a bit not at ease in it yet. Go figure-I don't mind being out in the middle of the ocean or even storms but driving down the highway or over mountains-ugh- I will be walking behind the bus! LOL. Just kidding I'm sure I'll get used to it. I hope.

We are going on a big trip around the west-Back Hills,SD; Yellowstone Park; Glacier NP & back to California-Yosemite. It should take about a month. Then back to the boat (we live-aboard). I hope to go out on the boat a month. Then back to work.

It is like getting all the stuff for a boat again. Double everything. Luckily, we had some stuff in storage (my son's house) that we could use. We have been out a few times so I am are adjusting to land-no rocking. I have met some very nice people in parks. Yeah, boaters & hopefully rv'ers an unusual group. Don't care about gold watches or the kind of clothes you wear. I love it.

Deck Officer-Really nice land yacht! Looks like a real living room. Like the chairs-look real comfy!

Thanks for your advice. It is helpful to know others can do the land thing too without feeling like they are cheating on he boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4253332395.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	42120   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3924301920.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	42122  

Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote