Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2020, 05:08   #1321

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

I have the Olympus tg-6, upgraded from the tg-3. Fantastic under water pics. Don’t forget to score an under water housing though so you can dive deeper.

Other camera gear?

Canon EOS R
15-35 f2.8 rf lens - love this lens
24-105 f 4.0 rf lens
70-200 f2.8 ef ii lens plus 2x extender iii

Plus the usual go pros and dji drones.

Loooove photography. Not bragging - honest ��. Any photog will always upgrade to the best of their means. The real story is what they upgraded from. Me? Canon EOS550.

I like my pics, wifee tolerates me ranting and raving about them. But at the end of the day, almost all of our travel has has a photographic reason behind it.

Cheers.

John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:11   #1322

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good...

After battling big winds and big waves all last week, we took advantage of a lull in the excitement to move the boat deeper into the Abaco Islands, and further away from the hustle and bustle of Marsh Harbour which is not the kind of place we want to be..

The offshore swell was completely gone, and so was the wind. We motored the 25 miles northwest on seas that ranged from slightly rippled all the way down to absolutely flat and glassy. We saw a pod of large Risso’s dolphins, a very small ocean sunfish, and (as usual) many flying fish scattering away from the boat. The unusually calm conditions seemed ideally suited to getting a picture of one of these amazing creatures, so I grabbed my biggest telephoto lens, (A 400-600 zoom on a Nikon D500) and sat patiently waiting…

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much from my first try at this. I was sure a fair amount of practice would be needed to get even a marginally respectable shot. I pulled the trigger a LOT, and collected over a hundred photos. I was shocked to see this as the very first shot on the card… nothing over the next two hours was any better!

Fantastic shot. 1 in a million. 👏👏👏👍

John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 18:21   #1323

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_char View Post
I have the Olympus tg-6, upgraded from the tg-3. Fantastic under water pics. Don’t forget to score an under water housing though so you can dive deeper.

Other camera gear?

Canon EOS R
15-35 f2.8 rf lens - love this lens
24-105 f 4.0 rf lens
70-200 f2.8 ef ii lens plus 2x extender iii

Plus the usual go pros and dji drones.

Loooove photography. Not bragging - honest ��. Any photog will always upgrade to the best of their means. The real story is what they upgraded from. Me? Canon EOS550.

I like my pics, wifee tolerates me ranting and raving about them. But at the end of the day, almost all of our travel has has a photographic reason behind it.

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don’t have it myself but friends report great results with the Olympus Tough series. The new one has 4K, RAW mode etc. The pictures I see are all tack sharp
Thanks, will check out that series. I really like a compact camera for UW use, but the GoPro has been very frustrating.

Something I have learned looking at EXIF data from the GoPro pics is that the GoPro automatically chooses (no manual mode on GoPro) very low shutter speeds and ISOs...making it all the more challenging to get good crisp focus when snorkelling. I may have to get back into SCUBA again, just for photography!

A couple of the best in terms of focus (not great pics, just better focus) that Ive gotten after much effort. And the focus is still not great (even if you ignore the lens distortion). There are hundreds of out of focus ones in the bit bucket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR2010_1582756424801_high.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	210444Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR3724_1583531600658_high.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	210445
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 12:10   #1324

I used a video light today to try and get some reasonably sharp images out of a GoPro...thinking the additional light might cause it to choose higher shutter speeds...thus less camera shake blur...thus sharper images...no such luck.

After one final attempt to consistently get reasonably sharp images out of a GoPro, Ive officially been beat into submission.

I think the best you can do is shoot video and extract some of the better frames as individual images.

Good news is that the tray and light I have will work with a TG-6 too!

I did capture some footage of an octopus today and extracted one image from that. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200314_134921.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	210602
Old 25-03-2020, 17:57   #1325

CV lock down entertainment: UV PhotographyClick image for larger version

Name:	Scorpion%20UV-05907.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	211279