Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 14:41   #361

Boat: In Research Mode-Nothing Yet
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

I would simply reiterate that if you wish to make some philosophical statement using allegory, then correctly present the premise by making it believable. Again, this isn't "Life of Pi." Stop defending the portrayal and admit that they screwed up. Jumpin jiminee.
Sailcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 14:53   #362

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Too true...

After thinking about it, though, I retract my original complaints. It shouldn't be too hard to pull yourself up the mast with 4:1 purchase, and after doing a but of Googling it turns out that a lot of people do just that, including using the ratchet blocks as shown in the clip (which apparently work a lot better than I would have thought). It's just that using a method other than ascenders hadn't occurred to me, which I suppose shows my inexperience. Clearly our old sea dog is a better sailor than I! And yes, thanks mbianka for teasing us with this when we have to wait another five months. I'm rather looking forward to it now.
I have used a 4-part purchase to go aloft many times on my 63' mast. A ratchet block makes it easier. The problem is that even with your tackle "double blocked," you are still not right up at your masthead, but you are about 18 inches too low to work right on top of your masthead, for, say, fixing a masthead light. For this, a pair of mast steps are a must, so you can "leg" yourself up those last 18." And even then, it's damned hard and uncomfortable to do this in your bosun's chair for any length of time. Much much better to work aloft after being cranked to the top by a crew member, just to get yourself right up to the top.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 14:55   #363

Boat: Catalina 30

Guess I should have read more of the posts. I started at the beginning and most were on the trailer so I skipped to the end. I guess everyone here seems to have as manny issues with the movie as I did. Just saw it last night so I am a little behind.
MC4Sunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 14:56   #364

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailcat View Post
I would simply reiterate that if you wish to make some philosophical statement using allegory, then correctly present the premise by making it believable. Again, this isn't "Life of Pi." Stop defending the portrayal and admit that they screwed up. Jumpin jiminee.
I think you are still missing the point. It's been fairly successful at the box office and even more successful with the critics. But, it's not a movie about sailing and most sailors are not going to see past the technical errors. On the other hand, sailors make up a small percentage of movie goers and the average movie goer, who the movie was made for, doesn't care about these technical errors.
Old 09-02-2014, 18:18   #365

Boat: Wilf O'Kell Zeus 45ft Catalpa
And for all of the criticisms on here, guess what.....ITS A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Catalpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 18:55   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I think you are still missing the point. It's been fairly successful at the box office and even more successful with the critics. But, it's not a movie about sailing and most sailors are not going to see past the technical errors. On the other hand, sailors make up a small percentage of movie goers and the average movie goer, who the movie was made for, doesn't care about these technical errors.

Indeed.
All Is Lost was made for sailors in the same way that Vertical Limit was made for climbers, or Days of Thunder was made for Nascar drivers, or Finding Nemo was made for single-parent clownfish...
Since when did a philosophical allegory have to be factually correct already?
Jiminy H Cricket...
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 20:46   #367
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

the rhetorical and the grammatical (metonymic) are by definition never reconcilable.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:13   #368

Boat: In Research Mode-Nothing Yet

Well said, SaltyMonkey. Let that be the last word.
Sailcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 16:54   #369

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Indeed.
All Is Lost was made for sailors in the same way that Vertical Limit was made for climbers, or Days of Thunder was made for Nascar drivers, or Finding Nemo was made for single-parent clownfish...
Since when did a philosophical allegory have to be factually correct already?
Jiminy H Cricket...

+1 on that!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 18:58   #370

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

I saw the movie with my 86 year old father. A sailor and a huge Redford fan. He commented that the last time we had been to the movie theater together was probably when I was still in grade school. He also commented that he liked the boat.

The movie, although unrealistic to us, it was the closest he's been to being out on the ocean for the past 9 years, so he enjoyed that. I was bemused the entire time. Kept thinking to myself; "They researched almost every nay Sayer and doomsday thread to write this script, didn't they?" Well, they didn't squeeze in guns, pirates, or unfriendly C&I scenarios. But They certainly touched on many of them.

Hitting a container "What are the chances of hitting a container while on passage?"

Rolling "Can the rigging, boat, or me survive a roll? Who's experienced this?"

Being dragged in the water by your safety harness "Do you clip in?" "Can you pull yourself back aboard if you fall over?"

Power requirements "Are extra batteries and hand held considered redundant?" "What if I loose all power?"

VHF protocol "Do I need to learn maritime lingo? Can I call an SOS if I get into trouble?"

Injuries "What's in your 1st aid kit?"

Preparedness "What's in your ditch bag?" "how many trips can you make back to the sinking vessel to obtain survival items?"

Drinking while under way "Would you drink straight liquor for pleasure or just for pain management?"

Provisioning "Canned goods?"

Safety "Should I file a float plan?" Should I purchase an EPIRB?"

Freighters at sea "Do freighters maintain a continuous physical watch as required by maritime law?" "Can A freighter really run me down without knowing?"

Navigation "Should I learn celestial navigation?"

So I will always think fondly of the movie for the company I shared when I watched it first. But also,....... C'mon!, It'll be so like the Rocky Horror of the sailing community! A cult following. Show it to your friends and family 1 week before cutting ties! LMAO Embrace it for what it is. Oh! We could show up in costume and scream out thread questions before every scene!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 18:23   #371

Boat: Smokercraft Promag 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm curious as to how this film will be viewed by the guys trying to convince 'The Lady' to sail round the world with him...
An asset... will RR's lazy grin tickle their fancies and smother any fears of 'the storm'....
or...
A no-no.... scare's her witless... and a "No Way Jose.."
I think my wife got it to try to scare me off of the idea.
Dixie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 19:08   #372

Boat: Island Packet 35

106 minutes in case you are wondering how much of your life you wasted watching this movie.
champ2kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 19:23   #373
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I saw the movie with my 86 year old father. A sailor and a huge Redford fan. He commented that the last time we had been to the movie theater together was probably when I was still in grade school. He also commented that he liked the boat.

The movie, although unrealistic to us, it was the closest he's been to being out on the ocean for the past 9 years, so he enjoyed that. I was bemused the entire time. Kept thinking to myself; "They researched almost every nay Sayer and doomsday thread to write this script, didn't they?" Well, they didn't squeeze in guns, pirates, or unfriendly C&I scenarios. But They certainly touched on many of them.

Hitting a container "What are the chances of hitting a container while on passage?"
50/50

Rolling "Can the rigging, boat, or me survive a roll? Who's experienced this?"
Sausage or Bread..??

Being dragged in the water by your safety harness "Do you clip in?" "Can you pull yourself back aboard if you fall over?"
No... not clipped in...
Power requirements "Are extra batteries and hand held considered redundant?" "What if I loose all power?"
Hang off the stern and kick..
VHF protocol "Do I need to learn maritime lingo? Can I call an SOS if I get into trouble?"
Why bother.. no one else does..
Injuries "What's in your 1st aid kit?"
Band Aids and Paracetamol...
Preparedness "What's in your ditch bag?" "how many trips can you make back to the sinking vessel to obtain survival items?"
How long can you hold your breath..
Drinking while under way "Would you drink straight liquor for pleasure or just for pain management?"
I'll have a Brandy.. a large one please..
Provisioning "Canned goods?"
If its Corned Dog... No...
Safety "Should I file a float plan?" Should I purchase an EPIRB?"
Don't be so negative..
Freighters at sea "Do freighters maintain a continuous physical watch as required by maritime law?" "Can A freighter really run me down without knowing?"
No... yes...
Navigation "Should I learn celestial navigation?"
Why... you can't row a life raft..

So I will always think fondly of the movie for the company I shared when I watched it first. But also,....... C'mon!, It'll be so like the Rocky Horror of the sailing community! A cult following. Show it to your friends and family 1 week before cutting ties! LMAO Embrace it for what it is. Oh! We could show up in costume and scream out thread questions before every scene!
Glad you enjoyed the evening..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 19:33   #374

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Robert and I were chatting over a couple beers last night and he admitted he had just jumped at the role too quickly. He's always kicked himself for not doing Captain Ron, and he was too old to play Jack Sparrow...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 20:23   #375
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

@ boaty ROFLMAO!!!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, movie