Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 00:24   #511

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: ALL IS LOST: The Movie

lol, I had no idea the ending was being questioned. Some people are so desperate. Lol

I did google it, very interesting, I don't find a 50/50 split in people's views about whether he lived or not, but I did find a lot of articles about the claimed 'ambiguity '.

The link you posted doesn't mean the director intentionally left an ambiguous ending, he was simply commenting on the interesting result that out of 450 people it was split. And he has no problem with that. Was it his intention to leave the film with an ambiguity, I don't think so.

But hey, if people are happier for him to have drowned, cool. Personally it had never dawned on me until reading this today that anyone thought he had drowned. I've never met anyone who has this idea from seeing the film. Lol

All Is Lost’s ambiguous ending: Does Robert Redford’s character live or die? And what does it mean?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 00:55   #512
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

me too. i thought that he was rescued. after all there was the boat and hand reaching out to him. that's what i saw and it did not seem ambiguous .. it was just the end of the movie.
Old 28-02-2014, 01:20   #513

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
lol, I had no idea the ending was being questioned. Some people are so desperate. Lol

I did google it, very interesting, I don't find a 50/50 split in people's views about whether he lived or not, but I did find a lot of articles about the claimed 'ambiguity '.

The link you posted doesn't mean the director intentionally left an ambiguous ending, he was simply commenting on the interesting result that out of 450 people it was split. And he has no problem with that. Was it his intention to leave the film with an ambiguity, I don't think so.

But hey, if people are happier for him to have drowned, cool. Personally it had never dawned on me until reading this today that anyone thought he had drowned. I've never met anyone who has this idea from seeing the film. Lol

All Is Lost’s ambiguous ending: Does Robert Redford’s character live or die? And what does it mean?
No, it was definitely his intention to make it ambiguous and Chandor has said so in several interviews. Here is a clip from one with the Huffington Post (the italic are mine):

Quote:
Without saying what the ending is, it sounds like I'm off base that I interpreted it at face value, because there's nothing else in the movie that wasn't at face value.
Yeah, and that's totally ... what I had intended was, essentially, at that point in the film, when the film immediately ends, it's sort of your ending. But it really does come down to about 50/50 ... there's a huge percentage of the population that can see that has seen the film so far that think, essentially, it's sort of a delusion. That the boat isn't there and that he is essentially ascending. You know, that's the hand of God that reaches down. So, we're trying to keep it as quiet, for now, as possible so that people get to have their own ending. So, wait, you think he was saved, right?
Also, in the other quote I provided above he says …"It literally came out like a 45-55 split, which is exactly what we all wanted." That sure sounds like intent to me.

I think he dies, but I'm not sure why that make me desperate?
Old 28-02-2014, 05:02   #514

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

I didn't think it was possible to sink without filling your lungs with water. Otherwise you float?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 05:25   #515

When skindiving, even with your lungs completely filled with air, you start to sink below around 10 meters. Trapped air in clothes or even better an exposure suit and flotation devices then naturally change the equation.
akkebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 05:31   #516

Oh - and on the negative side, perhaps you were dumped into the water and did not have time to fill your lungs completely before going under.
akkebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 05:47   #517

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Interesting. It had never occurred to me he had died. I just saw him get rescued. When I mentioned this thread to my husband & the mixed interpretation of the end, he said he simply understood he had died & gone to heaven. It never occurred to him he had been rescued. 50/50 split--in the same house.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 09:29   #518

I watched this movie again after reading through this thread. And its really not a bad movie. Infact it seemed like a different movie than i remember because of all the things i looked for the second time and missed the first time. Interesting how reading many other peoples thoughts on what he did wrong or not makes you see the movie in a totally different context to a fresh viewing. At first i agreed about no PFD. But then if you fall off a boat single handed your dead, just 3 inches higher in the water with PFD. The boat is not coming back to get you. And i also agreed about trying the VHF radio. But...lots of folks sail around out there without a SSB. And if you were out there wouldn't yelling on channel 16 cover more distance than a flare would be seen from. And anyone on the bridge of a ship could hear the radio without needing to be looking in the right direction the few seconds a flare lasts. I would try it.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 09:35   #519

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellin View Post
I watched this movie again after reading through this thread. And its really not a bad movie. Infact it seemed like a different movie than i remember because of all the things i looked for the second time and missed the first time. Interesting how reading many other peoples thoughts on what he did wrong or not makes you see the movie in a totally different context to a fresh viewing. At first i agreed about no PFD. But then if you fall off a boat single handed your dead, just 3 inches higher in the water with PFD. The boat is not coming back to get you. And i also agreed about trying the VHF radio. But...lots of folks sail around out there without a SSB. And if you were out there wouldn't yelling on channel 16 cover more distance than a flare would be seen from. And anyone on the bridge of a ship could hear the radio without needing to be looking in the right direction the few seconds a flare lasts. I would try it.

I did an experiment a couple of summers ago, we anchored my friends Cape Dory 27 and I jumped overboard and attempted to climb back aboard unassisted and found it impossible to do so, very sobering. Don't think Bob being dragged in his harness would of had a snowballs chance in hell of re-boarding, but yes the rest of the movies was highly realistic.
Old 28-02-2014, 10:32   #520

I think being dragged would put your body horizontal on the surface making it possible to hook your leg over the rail and with the boat healed you would be way closer to the rail than on a stationary boat.

wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 00:38   #521

Boat: Yamaha "Mylady" 25 ft

As to the question whether he lives or dies, you guys and gals all didn't look properly. What reaches down at the end, ready to heave our man up into the lifeboat is not a hand but a tiger's paw...
Yowieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 00:48   #522

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowieboy View Post
As to the question whether he lives or dies, you guys and gals all didn't look properly. What reaches down at the end, ready to heave our man up into the lifeboat is not a hand but a tiger's paw...
Damn it! I missed the drowning and the tiger paw. I'm going to have to watch this again.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59   #523

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

I thought the movie was terrible...I feel people are giving it good reviews like they give terrible art good reviews...yea it may be "art", but my eyes certainly weren't glued to the screen, in fact I was surfin on here while it was playing in the background and then abruptly ended.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:08   #524

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
I thought the movie was terrible...I feel people are giving it good reviews like they give terrible art good reviews...yea it may be "art", but my eyes certainly weren't glued to the screen, in fact I was surfin on here while it was playing in the background and then abruptly ended.
Maybe you could enlighten us as to why you felt it was so terrible. And please don't just say "it sucked" like some of the English-challenged have here.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:18   #525

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Maybe you could enlighten us as to why you felt it was so terrible. And please don't just say "it sucked" like some of the English-challenged have here.
Does there have to be a reason why a movie is boring?

Tags
lost, movie