Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 12:53   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Looking for Chesapeake Bay Live Aboard Marinas

Any suggestions on live aboard Marinas within a reasonable commute (reasonable being 45 min. or less) from either Columbia, MD or Lexington Park, MD. I may need to decide between two different job offers. Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks, Judy
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 13:21   #2

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Gadagirl,

Annapolis Landing Marina and Port Annapolis in Annapolis both have good live-aboard communities. We're at Annapolis Landing Marina now. Both have pools, laundry rooms, bath houses and reasonable greenspace as opposed to many marinas which are simply a parking lot surrounded by slips. I'm guessing both would be about 25 minutes. In Baltimore on the Inner Harbor are several nice marinas as well, typically a bit cheaper than Annapolis, check out Harborview Marina. Also about 30 minute drive. Other marinas, such as Herrington Harbor North and South or the marinas on Kent Island are probably about an hour away from work.

Baltimore's inner harbor has quite a good live aboard scene and lots of local ammenities for young and single cruisers. Annapolis has families and a friendly established live aboard community in perhaps the most cruiser friendly location in the world with all of the ends of the streets designated as free dingy tie ups. This particular Annapolis location sits at the end of a peninsula, with a park between it and the rest of the homes and very little residential area immediately adjacent so in this spot there is absolutely no crime. Harberview is in a gated compound in Baltimore with everything within walking distance or via water taxi.

Welcome to Annapolis Landing Marina
Welcome to PortAnnapolis Marina
HarborView Marina & Yacht Club - Inner Harbor, Baltimore, MD
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 13:29   #3

Thanks for the suggestions Schoonerdog. Is it correct for me to assume that all of these Marinas are central to either location? With the exception of Harborview in Baltimore?
Old 02-09-2008, 13:35   #4
Eternal Member

No. Lexington Park, MD is a long ways from Annapolis (and just about anything else).

Probably would be best to look for marinas in the Solomons Island area...much closer to Lexington Park.

Check out a map of MD.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 13:51   #5

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Actually I responded for Columbia MD location, wasn't really sure about where Lexington Park was until I just mapquested it. They are about two hours from each other so nothing is "central" and still withing 45 minutes of either one. The closest thing to equidistant is Herrington Harbor south as it's a little over an hour away from each (1hr 5 min Lexington Park and 1hr 15 mins Columbia). I guess I'd wait and see which job you were offered first. If in Columbia, go to the links above because they would be equidistant from Columbia and offer an easy commute. If Lexington Park then I'd look at Solomons Island marinas.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 15:15   #6

Thank you again. Great information!
Old 14-06-2010, 17:29   #7

liveaboard options in baltimore

Does anyone have any information on liveaboard options in any of the baltimore marinas? Sadly I do not own a boat, (I've always dreamed of having one), nor can I afford to buy one right now. I was interested in living aboard with an existing boat owner and renting out the space, much like an apartment. I'm an extremely considerate roommate. Anything would be helpful. Thanks!
ceassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 17:44   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Gadagirl, Keep in mind estimated drive time do not take in consideration the traffic during rush hours. Those hour and a half commutes become two and a half at rush hour. Columbia to Annapolis will be in the neighborhood of two hours. Inner Harbor to Columbia at rush hour both AM and PM. an easy hour + and on most days an hour and a half to two hours.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 15:28   #9

Liveaboard in southern md/Northern Neck Va

I am in the process of selling my home in Waldorf and right now want to buy a boat and just live on it for a while. I work in Dahlgren Va and would like to stay within 30min of my work. I think I have called every marina in the area but I'm hoping someone can here can help. Save me.
felosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:38   #10

Go check out Colonial Beach. He allows "Extended stays" LOL As long as you don't have mail delivered to the marina you are OK. Showers, club house, restaurant, pump out, gas dock, & store. Very reasonable prices on slips. Far from the bay but very close to your work. Nice little town and very nice family owned marina.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:46   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by felosi View Post
I am in the process of selling my home in Waldorf and right now want to buy a boat and just live on it for a while. I work in Dahlgren Va and would like to stay within 30min of my work. I think I have called every marina in the area but I'm hoping someone can here can help. Save me.
Olverson's Lodge Creek Marina in Lottsburg (Northumberland County). We live aboard there and it has everything you need and cheap. Probably more than 30 minutes to Dahlgren though.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Magothy Marina in Severna Park, MD. Lots of liveaboards, nice facilities, no hassels. Not sure if it's in your commute parameters or not.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
Go check out Colonial Beach. He allows "Extended stays" LOL As long as you don't have mail delivered to the marina you are OK. Showers, club house, restaurant, pump out, gas dock, & store. Very reasonable prices on slips. Far from the bay but very close to your work. Nice little town and very nice family owned marina.
I assume you are talking about the Colonial Beach Yacht club? I called and they said NO! but I just found out this morning that a guy in my building lives aboard there so I believe you just need to know the trick. I'll let you all know what I find out. Thanks for the help.
felosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Many Marinas we have found in the past say no live-aboards when you call on the phone. If you show up, take a slip for a month, prove yourself as a good neighbor and ask for a long term slip, 9 times out of 10 you will get in. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:37   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by felosi View Post
................. I called and they said NO! but I just found out this morning that a guy in my building lives aboard there.........
This is a common occurance in the Chesapeake, Carolinas and Florida,- probably elsewhere too, but I'm most familiar with the southeast US. For most of the years we've lived at marinas we have been at marinas that state that they don't accept liveaboards, but yet liveaboards are present. Your presence is usually accepted if you arrive as a transient cruiser on a sound vessel and pay a monthly rate. If you are not receiving mail at the marina, filling the dock with potted plants and continue timely slip payments; you'll likely have no difficulties. Local and state regulations can come into play. For example, two adjacent marinas at Solomons Island both had liveaboards for many years. One had pump outs available at every slip and the other had no pump out facilities and claimed not to have liveaboards. After a boater in the latter marina reported publically that they lived at the marina, all the liveaboards there were evicted even when they used area pump out facilities. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay